Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful FTTP install

alungd
Dabbler

Successful FTTP install

Hi,

In the spirit of sharing good experiences as well as bad I just wanted to pop on and say I had my FTTP installed successfully this morning.

It wasn't a straightforward cable run and beforehand I was really concerned i wouldn't be able to get it installed in a decent location. Well the Openreach engineer was brilliant. Supplied with choccy biscuits and coffee he went out of his way to find something that ended up working perfectly for me, including a cable run that went through several walls which I'm sure he could have done without having to do!

So all in all really happy. I have an upload of 50Mb now but I'm currently still stuck on 75Mb down at the moment, Plusnet support advise this should update to my 300Mb profile in the next 24 hours.

Cheers

Alun

20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Successful FTTP install

@alungd welcome to the forums

but I'm currently still stuck on 75Mb down at the moment, Plusnet support advise this should update to my 300Mb profile in the next 24 hours.

Do you have a static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alungd
Dabbler

I do have a static IP yes, currently its still correct. I tried doing a PPPOE reconnect and its stayed the same at the moment.

Funnily enough I just read another post mentioning when their profile got updated they lost their static IP, I hope that's not the case for me!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I dont like to be the bringer of bad news, but it's likely!

There's currently a problem being investigated, the account seems to retain the static IP ( which is good ) but the RADIUS system doesn't allocate it, instead it allocates a dynamic IP. The fact that the static IP still shows on the account, and an nslookup for <account>.plus.com still shows the static IP, hopefully means that when the problem is resolved we will get our existing static IPs back

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

Congratulations !

Is your line fed overhead, or underground ?   If overhead did they leave the old copper cable in place, or take it down ?

alungd
Dabbler

HHhhmmmm yeah, from what I'm reading looks like I'll probably fall foul of the same issue, should I log a call about it separately if it happens do you think or will i just get fixed along with everyone else?

alungd
Dabbler

@Mark63 

Mine was underground in trunking, he had some fiddling about to get the cable through it which had me panicking for a minute but got there in the end Smiley

All my old copper is still there.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

should I log a call about it separately if it happens do you think or will i just get fixed along with everyone else?

@alungd AIUI , since the account actually retains the static IP settings, once the problem is indentified and resolved, it should automatically fix all affected accounts

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@alungd 

Nice to hear an OR engineer getting praise.

As to your Static IP problem it might be good to get a wizard's view - @Gandalf 

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The issue is already with the correct team @bmc, it's awaiting a fix.
No amount of wizardry can help, until the fix is deployed.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alungd
Dabbler

@bmc 

Well I figured most people only post when there's issues so credit where credits due Smiley

alungd
Dabbler

My upgrade has gone through and I'm showing a healthy 300 down now, beautiful!

But alas, as expected my static IP has disappeared so fingers crossed that one gets fixed soon!

bmc
Hero

@alungd wrote:

@Mark63 

Mine was underground in trunking, he had some fiddling about to get the cable through it which had me panicking for a minute but got there in the end Smiley

All my old copper is still there.

Did you get an external box fitted before the fibe cable was brought in?

Any chance of photos of external box in relation to the ug duct  (if there is one), the incoming cable point and the ONT on the wall. Another poster is trying to figure out what he'll get - his ug feed comes under the house and up to the Master Socket in the hallway.

Thanks

Brian

alungd
Dabbler

@bmc 

The only external box fitted was the CSP I think you call it where he spliced the cable. Photo's attached (hopefully) Smiley

csp.jpgont.jpgincoming.jpg

bmc
Hero

@alungd 

Thanks for the pictures. I've passed the Thread link onto the poster looking for information ("Secure" Openreach ONT Placement).

I assume the cable comes up the duct to the CSP, then goes back down and behind the drainpipe before being brought in on the first floor.

Brian