Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Secure" Openreach ONT Placement

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

"Secure" Openreach ONT Placement

Some background info..

I'm considering the jump from FTTC to FTTP, but have a concern about the security and fragility of the fibre cable and ONT. I use a PlusNet Hub 1, and at times have used the parental controls to block my kids internet access. My son is autistic, and at times, in moments of frustration at having no internet, has ripped the Hub 1 from the wall where it's affixed (beside my current FTTC modem). I've got a UTP cable running from my Hub 1 up to a switch in my roofspace via conduit running outside so it's protected from the elements. I've seen pictures of the fibre cable coming inside, then plugged into the OTN, but with a green(??) plug protruding. I'm concerned that this could get broken, so am considering wrapping the ONT in a key lock type box screwed to the wall, with a chunk of the back removed so that it needs a key to open the box, and everything inside is relatively secure.  

My current copper feed is through an underground duct, and the FTTP checker shows "Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues".  I'm assuming Openreach will pull my existing copper, and feed the fibre though the back box and fitting/faceplate where my existing NTE5 is located.  Is it possible to have the ONT located in place of the NTE5, with the fibre feeding into the rear?  I saw this ONT, which seems to feed in the back - are Openreach fitting these as standard??  https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/a-look-at-openreachs-future-4-port-ont-for-fttp-broadb...

Alternatively, something like a coax (aerial) faceplate with a big enough hole to allow the green plug passing through the faceplate?? Obviously I've already got a power feed for the FTTC modem and Hub 1, I'm not worried so much about the safety of the adapter, as (I'm assuming) it's a standard 12v (or similar) supply, so can have it outside my proposed protective box and easily replaced if needed.   If I can have the ONT protected, I'm planning on moving the Hub 1 up to my roofspace and keep it secure there.  I run a couple of TP-Link WAPs, so don't need to worry about the placement of the router to ensure a wifi signal.  

Thanks

John

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: "Secure" Openreach ONT Placement

@jpwilliams_com 

Don't know if this is the current OR ONT. You may have figured out that the red arrow in one of the pictures points to the wrong spot - the fibre optic cable plugs in at the top just left of centre. You can see the gap in the casing when the cable comes in.

In the first picture you can see the fibre cable has been brought in via a new hole in the wall. The green plug goes in behind the newer units. In may also be possible to bring it in via the exisiting copper entry point (picture two).

ONT.jpgONT Cable.jpg

Does your roof space have power and is it easily accessible? Theoretically it's possible to get the ONT placed there but would need easy access for the OR engineer. There would also be the matter of getting the fibre cable up to the roof space. If there's space in the existing conduit and you have a draw rope in situ that might do the job.

It can depend on the engineer on the day - a jobsworth or someone willing to put in the effort.

Brian

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Thanks, I did wonder where the optical cable went in, the red arrow didn't look right, so I presume it's at the black grommet in the centre top (although still at the back). 

My roofspace is a bit of a nightmare to navigate, and I'm sure the OR folks would prefer to shoot the fibre through the existing underground duct which comes into my hall, rather than have to exit it somewhere outside, then run the cable outside to where my conduit runs from my roofspace down to ground level, and fish it up a couple of floors. I don't mind using the existing UTP cable that currently runs from the back of my Hub 1 up to the switch, except also locate the switch in the roofspace.

I do have power up there, running the switch and providing POE for the two WAPs. I'm reckoning since I'm expecting to lose the copper feed, and not have a fibre-based phone, I can lose the existing NTE5 faceplate and purchase or 3d print something suitable to fill the gap - if the ONT screwed over the same hole, it would kill two birds...  I'm in NI, so not sure if that makes any difference, I think I read on here a while back that a lot of our installs are done using ducts, although I'm guessing any modern developments in GB are done the same.

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

Just to be clear, with PlusNet you lose not just your phone but your phone NUMBER. Sounds like it's not a problem but you never know.

My suggestion was based on the copper feed coming up outside the house and then brought in. I agree that OR would probably look to utilise the exisiting duct to enter the property. Although it depends on the engineer on the day, easy access is also required so the roof space is probably ruled out. They may, or may not, remove the exisiting copper cable. Perhaps the best you can hope for is the cable exits the Master Socket like picture two.

The ONT would then be placed somewhere nearby (with power available). Given the fibre cable probably goes in the back this leaves two cables exposed on the ONT. The power and ethernet cables.

Installs are done using existing infrastructure - so underground ducts are used where they exist and overhead lines replaced with fibre cable where required. New builds probably go underground by default - even if the fibre is supplied to the general location by overhead.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

Looking through your first post again the fibre cable will be secure if it exits the MS as per picture two. It then feeds into the ONT in the same manner as it exits the MS. However, the ONT isn't secure - it hangs on two screws to allow easy install / removal.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@jpwilliams_com 

Why over complicate this? What’s wrong with a lockable box with most of the back cut out and screwed to the wall from the inside, fixed over the top of the ONT?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

Duplicate post removwd

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

I'm sure I would have got to the suggestion of @Baldrick1  eventually!!!

Your original post spoke about the Hub1 being next to your current FTTC modem - I assume there's a reason for this as the Hub1 is a combined modem / router (as is the Hub2 you'll get).

You spoke about 3d printing. Could you fabricate a simple bracket to fix over the ONT (tailored to size so no finger space available) and then screwed into the wall. If, as I believe the ONT is hung from two screws it would need to be veritical. Something similar could perhaps be done for the power source.

Brian

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Hmmm, now I'm confused Smiley  Going off at a bit of a tangent,  I have my Plusnet Hub 1, with a UTP cable running from the WAN socket into the LAN1 socket of my Huawei FTTC modem - are you suggesting that's been unnecessary (all these years), and I could have just used the DSL cable of my Hub 1, and skipped the Huaewi box completely???   I think that's the way BT/OR set it up 10/15 years ago when I first got my FTTC connection.  I did watch the video at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/hub-one/, where they show a cable from the DSL socket into the filter/NTE5, with no mention of putting it into a FTTC modem.  I was under the impression that the DSL socket was for ADSL connections, and the WAN socket for FTTC connections.

I realize staying with plusnet for FTTP means I'm going to lose my existing phone line and number. I think anyone who I want to speak to already knows my mobile number, and recently it seems the only calls I get on my landline are from scammers, so that's not really going to be any great loss.  

I see in the second picture you posted that the fibre cable is exiting the NTE5, hadn't realized that before, just thinking since I won't have any need for any faceplates (since no phones to connect) that either OR or I can install a blank plate with a suitable hole for the fibre cable to pass through. If the ONT is a bit bigger than the back box, then the screws holding it to the wall could be placed either above/below or either side of the back box, so that the ONT effectively acts as a faceplare. I guess if OR are able to install it in the very close proximity to the back box, then I just need to procure a suitably sized locking box to cover the ONT and any part of the backbox/faceplate.  

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

And just remembered when I got my FTTC installed, it was with a 582n router, which I guess is missing the modem part, hence the external Huawei box??  Never realized when I renewed and plusnet sent me a new Hub 1 that it could (possibly) replace both the original boxes.

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Re Baldrick's reply, that's what I'm thinking, but just trying to have the new ONT fitted as close as possible (or ideally over the top of) my existing NTE5, to reduce the size of the lock box required. 

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

In the old days you did need both a modem and router but the Hub1 is a combined unit - so one power unit rather than two.

If OR do feed the fibre cable out the bottom of the Master Socket do you consider the MS to be a risk? Potentially the other option is as shown in the first picture. The cable comes out of the wall with a cover on it. I'm thinking the cable comes in via the duct but is then taken sideways from the MS a couple of inches (or more if you can get access).

While it would increase the size of the box it might be possible to get the ONT placed reasonably close to the power socket (not certain about interference), You could then cover both the ONT and power brick with one box. Just thinking out loud!!!

Brian

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, if I've learned nothing tonight it's that I haven't needed my external modem running for all the years since PN sent me a Hub 1. I've just swapped the phone cable from the Huawei box into the H1, and after a few "can't connect" errors and navigating thru the troubleshooter, I'm back to a purple LED. Think of the wasted megawatts of power Smiley

I guess the simplest thing is to request an FTTP install, then bribe the OR engineer with tea and bickies to mount the ONT as close as possible to the existing NTE5 back box. I can see the inside end of the duct in the wall, an inch or so below the back box, and it would be less effort for them to feed it through the front where there's now no need for any faceplates, rather than drilling sideways to install it through any new outlet (like the one in your first picture).

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

A good engineer will always work with you to get the best position / outcome for the ONT - though I don't suppose tea and bickies will do any harm.

Explain fully what you're trying to do any why - they may be able to come up with other solutions. You could research what boxes are available (to have an idea size wize) though you can't really do anything until the actual install is complete. Consider if an air vent for the box is required.

If you don't need your router for WiFi then you could conside leaving the Hub2 in it's box as a back up. I don't suppose you have the box for the old modem - they sell quite well on a well known auction site.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@jpwilliams_com 

Have a look at the following thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Successful-FTTP-install/td-p/1876388

There are pictures of the install.

Brian