Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet Speed - Fast Wifi Speed

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Slow Ethernet Speed - Fast Wifi Speed

Which machine is this? It is more likely the Ethernet card.

John
PeterStocks
Dabbler

It's on my Mac. My work laptop is locked down so I cannot see those settings

jab1
Legend

'OK. Maybe I misread those specs, I don't know. @MisterW , @Dan_the_Van  - any ideas, please?

John
PeterStocks
Dabbler

No worries. It's not causing me any issues just want to know why the ethernet speed is slower than the wifi. And if there is something I can do about it

Its almost as if the router is limiting the speed to my MAC... but im not technically skilled so not sure.

Just done another test on the BT wholesale tester and its showing 95mbps down and 29 up.

The only other thing would be the ethernet connector I have a Belkin F2Cu020 adapter which I believe allows a 1gb connection

jab1
Legend

The Hub will NOT be limiting the speed, your latest test is now convincing me it is your gear - and the adapter would be limited by your Ethernet card, as previously said.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

It could be that the new CAT 5e cable is faulty. 1Gbps uses all 8 cores, 100Mbps uses only 4. I have never tried disconnecting just 1 of the cores not needed for 100Mbps to see if the link just reverts to  the lower speed. If I have a minute tomorrow I will make one up to see. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bgiles
Rising Star

@PeterStocks 

On macOS, you can check what speeds your hardware supports by going to;

Settings > Network > [YourEthernetDeviceName] > Advanced > Hardware

Temporally change the Configure: setting to Manual, then see what options appear on in the Speed: drop down list.

The default setting for Configure: is 'Automatic', with the actual connection speed shown below it.

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PeterStocks  The ethernet connector/adaptor should be OK, just make sure you've got a 4 pair ethernet cable, as @Baldrick1  says all the 8 connection pins are required for 1Gb ethernet. I have been caught out before by CAT5e cables with only 2 pairs. 🙄 

PeterStocks
Dabbler

ok Ill keep trying. Its very frustrating but im still getting a reasonable speed and I can always switch to Wifi

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Baldrick1 wrote:

It could be that the new CAT 5e cable is faulty. 1Gbps uses all 8 cores, 100Mbps uses only 4. I have never tried disconnecting just 1 of the cores not needed for 100Mbps to see if the link just reverts to  the lower speed. If I have a minute tomorrow I will make one up to see. 

I have been playing today and can confirm that if one of the connections that are needed for 1Gbps but not used for 100 Mbps Ethernet (brown and blue pairs) is disconnected then the link on my set up immediately swaps from 1Gbps to 100Mbps. Tests were conducted transferring data from Win 11 PC to NAS.

Ethernet cable testers are cheap and useful tools.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  The Op has not yet confirmed if the ethernet cable in use has the full 4 pairs, if it isn't the cable then possibly the usb ethernet adaptor is not configured correctly. Never used one so can't offer help on that.

PeterStocks
Dabbler

Ok. UPDATE

many thanks for all your help and it appears I've been sold a duff cable.

I managed to snaffle a cable of our IT department. Plugged it into the back of the router and boom 150mbps down and 28 up

So it appears the cable Isnt a 1gb cable at all

Again. Thank you for all your help

jab1
Legend

Interesting, @PeterStocks . Did you buy it from a reputable source or 'the local computer guy'?

John
PeterStocks
Dabbler

It was Dodgy Dave down the street :). AKA Amazon !!!

Packaging up and sending back. If anyone has any reputable ethernet cable sellers please let me know

Cheers

Pete

jab1
Legend

Amazon themselves - or a 'marketplace' trader? From my dealings with Amazon, products bought directly from them are usually 'fit for purpose'.

John