Did you mean: 

Plusnet Full Fibre

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Plusnet Full Fibre

@Gandalf wrote:

I've asked the question regarding if we're able to keep your emails should you move to FTTP on a new account. 

Also I'm really sorry but FTTP isn't yet live for new customers, so all you can currently do is upgrade an existing account. 

Once I've got something to share, I'll be sure to post back. Smiley

So to be clear...

1. Currently for an existing customer moving to FTTP there is no risk of losing their email, because the only option in town is to upgrade their existing account and thereby lose their phone number
  2. There is no option for existing users to move to FTTP and retain their existing number (by creating a new account) as they will be deemed a "new" customer

In short unless one is happy to ditch the phone line number, there is no route to acquiring FTTP with Plusnet.  Guess one is therefore  forced to go to a competitor if one needs to retain the existing phone number ... but lose one's email service in the process.

All rather unfortunate really! 🤔 🙄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveB1

Thanks Gandalf for the prompt reply.

This does not appear to have been thought through. The major reason for staying with an existing provider is to retain existing phone number and email. This policy appears to be designed to generate large numbers of angry and disappointed customers.

Is this a temporary teething problem or a long term policy for a telecoms company not to offer a telephone service?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Totally get what you've said but I'm not close to the decisions, so I don't know the thought process we've gone through.

I have though asked the questions to the right people and I'll let you know, but currently this is the way it is. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Townman 

Does this not raise another question of what happens when our analogue exchange is turned off and we have convert to digital phone (VOIP)

PlusNet did once provide VOIP but that was closed down many years ago.

Dan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it astonishing that Plusnet finally offer FTTP, probably the preferred connection technology for the next couple of decades, and it doesn't come with IPv6 ! - a full ELEVEN YEARS after Plusnet was one of the first ISPs to do customer trials with dual-stacked IPv4 + IPv6,  and  THREE YEARS after the European IPv4 address pool ran out.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Anonymous - you need to remember that over the years BT has ripped out much of what made Plusnet a dangerous competitor - think of a de-clawed tiger!  IPv6 is seen as a bells and whistles offering only sought by high end users .... much the same as the historic positioning of FTTP.  Guess that when some "Higher Authority" deems IPv4 is dead the there will be a clearer vision for IPv6.  FTTP and IPv6 were high on the SU agenda / roadmap when the SU group was formed over 5 years ago...

@Dan_the_Van - do not judge the future by today's offering.  I do not see the current disposition as remaining tenable in the long term.  If the only way of retaining one's existing telephone number is to migrate to an alternative provider, then Plusnet's user base attrition will eventually force a re-think or a need to accept the demise of the business / brand.

Users will read the "writing on the wall" and decide accordingly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

Users will read the "writing on the wall" and decide accordingly.

I think this thread has highlighted just how badly Plusnet management have been making decisions about the future roadmap.

Clearly this is our wakeup call that indeed we need to be prepared to act accordingly to the "writing on the wall" !  ☹️

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

@Dan_the_Van 

fwiw, BT announcing in March they were to 'pause' Digital Voice rollout, may be a reason why Plusnet chose not to offer Digital Voice at this particular moment in time ?

There is a trial with Mildenhall (or is it Salisbury) exchange to switch off the PSTN service before the end of 2022.  

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

The pause does not apply to all cases though; for instance a friend migrated her service from Shell to BT Home Essentials and had FTTP and Digital Voice installed on 29 April last.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

the pause is about forcing users to give up copper PSTN, not pausing the rollout for those who voluntarily take it. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the clarification @dvorak Thumbs_Up

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

In a village near me they are cutting over to Openreach Full Fibre network.

I spoke to a Openreach install technician and asked what happens when they cut a customer to full fibre cable what happens to the copper cable. They said for BT and Sky customers they are removing it and they use the route the copper cable took for the replacement fibre cable, the cable used is not multicore fibre and copper. This is happening now, so no pause.

A neighbour of mine is with the BT FTTC, she has been cutover to Digital Phone, she has a Smart Hub 2 and was supplied FOC (free of charge) a Digital Voice Adapter. Before they cut her over to she was asked if she has a need for a landline phone line. She never uses her landline phone.

Mewcenary
Grafter

This is all a little sad.  It continues to highlight that BT want to slowly run-down plus.net by making it 'behind the curve' compared to the Big Brother offering of BT themselves.

FTTP is _finally_ available but:

1. You can't even sign-up to it online (plus.net's online portal was always excellent at managing everything within your account- more seems to be gutted from it every time I look at it).

2. Upgrading comes with consequences, i.e. loss of your phone number

3. Switching to another provider allows you to do it all online, and not lose your phone number if you want to keep it.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

1) It's coming.
2) Moving to other providers is the same e.g. TalkTalk.
3) Depends on provider.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DaveB1

Switching to another provider, eg BT or Sky, does enable you to keep your phone, BUT the cure is worse than the disease in that you are then forced to use their provided router.

Are there any providers of fttp which can also provide a phone service while using your own equipment?