cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Full Fibre

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Full Fibre

@Gandalf  What is the Plusnet estimated timescale for IPv6 arriving ?

Without Plusnet having IPv6, when I eventually upgrade to FTTP then I'll most likely choose from another ISP that does, e.g. -

Andrews & Arnold - FTTP with IPv6 (/64)

Aquiss - FTTP with IPv6 (/56) 

IDNet - FTTP with IPv6 (/48) 

Last time I checked, about 86% of my monthly broadband traffic is via IPv6 (using a 6in4 tunnel).

I get far fewer download buffering or internet routing problems with IPv6 than when I run my network on IPv4 only.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This wasn't mentioned when I renewed my contract a couple of days ago? I only stumbled on it through a spammy Google ad just now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@southerner wrote:
This wasn't mentioned when I renewed my contract a couple of days ago?

According to ISPreview article "ISP PlusNet in Low Key UK Launch of FTTP Broadband Packages"

The provider’s PR team informed us, on Monday, that the service would NOT go live on Wednesday and instead said that a “launch date has not been confirmed at this point.” Except it did launch, just not in the way you’d normally expect.

greygit
Rising Star

What's the cost for FTTP for a semi-remote household where the final 10m or so of the current copper connection is suspended from a leaning pole before it disappears under a railway to re-appear and be strung up on another pole (before it continues its journey to the nearest street furniture)?

Just asking for amusement purposes.

Dev
Rising Star

I have  FTTC and a dominion with 3 associated email addresses with PN.  So will I lose these emails if I upgrade to FTTP?

greygit
Rising Star

"a dominion"

Dominion?

Or did you mean domain?

Domains can be ported to another provider/hosting company.

I've a domain hosted by Plusnet and have previously contemplated moving it. Domain hosting used to be part of the Plusnet business model. It isn't something they offer to new customers (before FTTP was a a mere dream).

The only reason I haven't moved my domain is that Plusnet have been paying for the periodic domain renewal. It was something they committed to after they suffered a security breach IIRC. And the domain is tied to a product ('e-mail only') which is thoroughly unavailable to new customers (even the web interface has problems with such). Plusnet used to charge a small monthly fee for that but they decided to drop the fee. That's when I started to contemplate moving the domain.

Which leads me to the rather blunt observation of "you get what you pay for".

And that the dentition of gift horses should always be thoroughly scrutinized.

So perhaps as part of the ongoing product line shift, domains are being 'encouraged' to go somewhere else.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@Dev wrote:

I have  FTTC and a dominion with 3 associated email addresses with PN.  So will I lose these emails if I upgrade to FTTP?

If you upgrade your existing account you won't lose email etc. but you will lose your landline number.

Going the route of setting up a new account for FTTP so you can port your landline number to a VoIP you may/will lose your email. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Nibiru wrote:

@Gandalf  What is the Plusnet estimated timescale for IPv6 arriving ?

I'm afraid I'm aware of no plans to provide IPv6, but if that changes, I'm sure we'll let our customers know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've asked the question regarding if we're able to keep your emails should you move to FTTP on a new account. 

Also I'm really sorry but FTTP isn't yet live for new customers, so all you can currently do is upgrade an existing account. 

Once I've got something to share, I'll be sure to post back. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@pint wrote:

I would move back to plusnet fttp at the end of my now contract but the lack of a landline  - which i still need as i have people who still geet in touch via that method older relatives, famly friends and so on  pretty much rules that out.

@pint 

Any reason why you couldn't port your existing landline number to a VoIP company such as Sipgate at the end of your Now contract and then just join PN for FTTP, possibly with a cash reward as a new customer?  Sipgate charge a one off £30 porting fee but then there are no ongoing monthly costs for hosting your number, and you don't have to use them for outgoing calls*, e.g. I use cheaper than chips FreeVoipDeal and DiscountVoip respectively for outgoing calls to UK landline and mobile numbers, both of whom have no 'call setup fees' and allow you to set your CLI to any number you 'own'.

* Provided you use equipment which allows multiple SIP accounts to be configured.  e.g. Gigaset N300 IP DECT/VoIP Base Station (which can also route different types of calls over the appropriate account automatically)

Mark63
Rising Star

Thanks for all the info @Gandalf  It'll be interesting to see what develops

I'd like to retain my landline phone number (and port it to VoIP) in any transfer from FTTC to FTTP, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

(I see it more of a logistical challenge to see if I can retain it 😎 )

Again personally speaking, a hard switch from FTTC to FTTP would in one way be good, if it means Openreach would remove the copper drop wire to my house as part of the install. I don't really want the clutter of a fibre and copper dropwire

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@southerner 

If you renewed before Wednesday then support staff would be banned from saying anything about it.

However, if WBC FTTP is available (check the following) then simply give them another call if your'e interested.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@northender wrote:

There needs to be a Full Fibre FAQ sticky posted on this group to identify all the "issues" with moving to a Plusnet FTTP contract.

At this point, I can't afford to lose my plusnet email accounts; the loss of the landline will be less of a problem to me.

If you're happy to loose your landline number then upgrading would not affect your e-mail accounts as you're not ceasing your current membership of PlusNet.

Are you aware there are rumours going around that PN are thinking of removing e-mail from their services. Note I said rumours - you'll not get any definite answers.

I agree - @Gandalf  - there needs to be a sticky added to the fourm re phone lines.

Brian

DaveB1

Have been waiting what seems for ever for PN to offer FTTP.

Now appears that to get it I have to lose my phone and/or my email.

Surely it cannot be this so ridiculous????

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave,

Really sorry, but currently that looks to be the case, although if you move to another provider, you can keep your landline number. Sad If I hear anything different to share here, I'll post back to let you know. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet