Did you mean: 

Plusnet Full Fibre

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Plusnet Full Fibre

@bond007 

Look at my post #186

The install of a fibre cable may well result in your copper cable being removed - which would terminate your FTTC service.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

In theory that may work if we're able to install an FTTP service in tandem to an existing FTTC line.

I agree with @bmc though in that engineers may ultimately remove the copper line when installing the fibre. 

At this stage, it may be best waiting until we've finalised how things will look for new customers signing up. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If it is BT Openreach's SOP to pull out the copper when installing fibre - all bets will be off and out of the hands of ISPs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Mine wasn’t pulled.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

Neither was mine - but it was several years ago.

Overhead copper will be replaced with a new wire so it goes.

Underground feeds might be different. If the property is in a Stop Sell area it would make sense to pull and recycle the copper. It would cost next to nothing as OR are already onsite working at the chamber. Other areas might be different but I don't see why - with fibre in the copper could be declared redundant by OR.

Brian

bond007
Dabbler

I sort of hope they do remove my copper wire as I have a congested underground duct to my property and it might help (but then again...). Rather that than have them dig up the road or my garden. As far as I can tell it looks to have been the case with other houses in this small cul-de-sac where FTTP has been installed.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to FTTP when my contract runs out in July to keep my email addresses (at least for now) - I've started the process in registering with Sipgate for a new VoIP number. I didn't realise a) how easy it is, b) I get to select a good local number to replace my landline number and c) it's so much cheaper than the landline through Plusnet. I just need to work out what I need to do to make VoIP work with Plusnet FTTP.

All in all I think I'm now happy to move on so thanks for the various pieces of advise and confirmation of my thoughts.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I just need to work out what I need to do to make VoIP work with Plusnet FTTP.

If you wish to use your existing phone(s) then an ATA is needed . This https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-HT-812-2FXS-Gateway-Black/dp/B01M2ZJQAF?th=1 is known to work well and has dual gigabit ports so can be used to daisy chain an exiting device without needing an additional port on the router.

Other options are a replacement DECT voip system like the Gigaset N300A or a dedicated IP phone

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Teece
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I had a couple of Gigaset DECT handsets that were paired with a regular Gigaset basestation. I got a refurbished N300 IP on eBay for £30, simple to set up. It's currently handling both the landline and my Sipgate account, waiting for the former to be migrated to the latter. Most DECT handsets should work with the N300.

Mark63
Rising Star

I actually want my copper line removed when the fibre goes in, because otherwise it'll be years (if ever) before Openreach remove it. Though I'm fortunate that the serving pole is in our front hedge, so I could easily remove it from my house, and just chop the end left dangling at the pole as 'far up' as I dare reach with my ladder ! 

Re: Comments above about Sipgate, yes, really easy sign up, and the choice of a few local numbers. I found it, and the config of an IP phone (Grandstream GXP 1610) really easy. I thought it would take ages to get it all working, it took about 10 mins !

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Teece wrote:

... Most DECT handsets should work with the N300.

That might be the case for basic things such as simply making calls, but IME, or rather that of another forum member who I assisted in setting up his N300, even using some older Gigaset handsets some features won't work.  In his case, amongst other things,  the dialling rules he wished to use to automatically select accounts for different types of outgoing calls wouldn't work.  It wasn't a matter of failing to set the rules up properly as they worked with a single newer handset which he had, and when he replaced the older ones with compatible ones from eBay everything worked as required.

A useful tool to check compatibility of Gigaset handsets and IP base stations is at -

https://www.gigaset.com/en_en/cms/service/compatibility/products.html

And to compare features -

https://www.gigaset.com/hq_en/cms/service/compatibility/features.html

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I got a refurbished N300 IP on eBay for £30, simple to set up. It's currently handling both the landline and my Sipgate account, waiting for the former to be migrated to the latter.

@Teece a couple of things you might ( or might not ) be aware of:-

A number ported to a Sipgate basic account can be in addition to any existing number. You obviously have to decide which will be used as the outgoing CLI but both can be used for incoming.

Given that the N300 can handle multiple sip accounts, you might want to look at getting a Localphone account as well as the Sipgate one, especially if you make any amount of calls to mobile numbers. Their rates are 1/5 of the Sipgate ones. You can register the sipgate number to be used as the outgoing CLI on the localphone account.

bmc
Hero

@Bradleydavid1 

Have you had your install done yet?

I'm interesterd in what they did eg did OR use the cupboard for the ONT.

Brian