cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Full Fibre

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnet Full Fibre

The only people that will answer that is customer options and currently the only way to order is to speak to them.

give them a call

Details for Customer options team are on this page https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/thinking-of-leaving/
Phone number is 0800 013 2632

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mike,

We won't charge you a termination fee if you upgrade to FTTP while within a contract, but you would need to call us on 0800 013 2632 to arrange as it currently can't be done online. Let us know how it goes Cheesy 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bond007
Dabbler

I've had one more idea to bounce around - and I know it's an expensive option but I'm trying to cover all bases here.

If Plusnet were to offer me a renewed contract for a lesser product than I have (I'm currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra), say Unlimited Broadband, at a similar substantial discount that I've just been offered on renewal, would it then be possible to open a new FTTP account when that becomes an option and keep both accounts operating? That way I would keep email and landline number and have the benefit of FTTP speed.

I know it wouldn't come cheap - although I have no idea how much a third party VoIP is going to cost me - but it would save hassle.

Also, if I simply renew my FTTC contract in July, would I be able to upgrade to FTTP at any time (and at a similar price)?

Sorry to keep banging on but I really do want to keep my 35 year old landline phone number - and particularly my email address (bond007.com is a particularly prized address!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bond007 wrote:
 I've had one more idea to bounce around - and I know it's an expensive option but I'm trying to cover all bases here.

If Plusnet were to offer me a renewed contract for a lesser product than I have (I'm currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra), say Unlimited Broadband, at a similar substantial discount that I've just been offered on renewal, would it then be possible to open a new FTTP account when that becomes an option and keep both accounts operating? That way I would keep email and landline number and have the benefit of FTTP speed.

I know it wouldn't come cheap - although I have no idea how much a third party VoIP is going to cost me - but it would save hassle.

It's a good thought, but I'm afraid that wouldn't work, because our FTTP order would cease the copper phone line. 

@bond007 wrote:

Also, if I simply renew my FTTC contract in July, would I be able to upgrade to FTTP at any time (and at a similar price)?

You can upgrade to FTTP while within a contract, though you'd lose your landline number unless you export it to VoIP, potentially incurring termination fees, then set up a new FTTP account (when possible).

Regarding prices, I'm not the best guy to ask about that, but our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 are, though the offers today may not be the same as in the future, because they can change. 

@bond007 wrote:

Sorry to keep banging on but I really do want to keep my 35 year old landline phone number - and particularly my email address (bond007.com is a particularly prized address!)

No worries, as a massive James Bond fan since I was a kid, I totally get that! 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Hold on a minute @Gandalf  something doesn't sound quite right here..... but I'm afraid that wouldn't work, because our FTTP order would cease the copper phone line. 

@bond007  is talking about having an ADSL service on an existing account and a new FTTP account (when available) which as it is not a migration will have nothing to do with the existing copper line.

If what you state above is true no one will ever be able to port their number to VOIP if any FTTP order ceases the phone line which doesn't agree with earlier posts about porting phone numbers.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It might depend on whether it's an overhead or underground feed.

With the former the line will be replaced, probably with fibre only - unless they are still doing the hybrid copper / fibre version. If it's fibre only then no copper service.

With the latter the copper may stay in place - it did for mine but that was years ago.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid, this ties in with my post from last week here > https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Plusnet-Full-Fibre/m-p/1874810/highlight/true#M17447

Our FTTP orders trigger a cease on the copper phone line, whether that's supplied by us or another provider, so the port to VOIP would have to be done and completed before the sign up to us for FTTP. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf  I think Plusnet have to have a serious think about how their FTTP ordering system works, ordering a new FTTP service should have no effect on an existing copper line whoever is supplying it. An FTTP service has no connection to a telephone number, I wonder what OFCOM's take on this would be, Plusnet ceasing a phone line in use with another supplier, sounds dodgy to me.🤔

As if you haven't got enough trouble with current customers who want FTTP but can't keep their phone number, unless things change when stand alone FTTP orders come onstream, things will only get worse. Customers will have to port their number to VOIP so will lose service for a while when the copper line is ceased until a new FTTP service is installed. Not a good scenario.☹️

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There may be a little confusion here. 

@Gandalf wrote:

Due to the way we process our FTTP orders, a "change of retailer" cease is triggered against the voice line

This in particular means that we'd issue the appropriate regulatory notification of transfer to the other provider, and when someone signs up to our FTTP service, we explicitly advise they will not be able to make or receive calls.

If someone wants to keep their landline number while upgrading to FTTP then the smoothest way of doing things would be for us to sign them up with BT or EE, and if they're in contract with us we'll waive any termination fees. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf  It's not me that's confused, you haven't answered my question. I was not talking about upgrading to FTTP now but in future when new FTTP accounts are available how would a Plusnet customer port their number to VOIP before getting a new FTTP service.

Probably best to wait and see what happens, things may change. I am not likely to get FTTP for some time. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't know what our FTTP signup process will be like for new customers, but unless things change, you'll have to port your number out first then sign up a new FTTP account afterwards, which will, granted, entail some downtime. 

Alternatively, we can sign you up to BT or EE for a much smoother experience. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

EE don't do digital voice, nor do they do phone only, not sure why they keep getting mentioned. It can only lead to more frustration.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the heads up! 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bond007
Dabbler

I know I'm like a dog with a bone but...I'm still confused.

If I was to sign up today as a new customer for FTTP with Sky (I assume the same applies with BT), Openreach would connect my house, Sky would switch on my FTTP service and I would be able to maintain my FTTC Plusnet account and therefore keep my landline phone number and email address through Plusnet as well as enjoy FTTP through Sky (albeit at a high total cost). As they would be operating on entirely different infrastructure I see no reason why either provider would need to even know of the other - would they?

I wouldn't need to worry about the broadband connection with Plus so could take the lowest speed available. I could then run both accounts in tandem until such time as Plusnet cease their email service or the cost gets too much for me - by which time I could port my phone number to a 3rd party provider and will have been able to organise an orderly switch of email addresses.

So my confusion is, why if/when Plusnet introduce FTTP for new customers would that scenario be any different - ie I (or perhaps my wife) join Plusnet as a new customer for FTTP and I retain my existing FTTC account. Why would Plusnet treat me worse than other providers?

There would be no 'change of retailer' or transfer of service to any other provider so no appropriate regulatory notification. I have no knowledge of how these things work but from my purely logical interpretation it makes perfect sense.

Sorry, I do want to stay with Plus after 20 odd years but at the moment I'm struggling to understand.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I think the answer is: we just don't know.
Until PN release FTTP to new customers and we see the details everything is just conjecture, sadly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'