cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT to switch before router?

MrMot
Grafter

ONT to switch before router?

Is it possible for the CAT5/6 to go from the ONT to the router via a switch or does it need to be direct?

This is just a hypothetical question, I have a CAT5e from from where my ONT will be situated to where my router lives. It would be handy if I could pop a switch into the mix though...

19 REPLIES 19
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: ONT to switch before router?

Whilst technically you could add a switch in and then authenticate with us using your router, no other device would get an internet connection via the switch as there is no connection from the LAN side of the router to the switch.

To enable the switch to provide  internet access to your devices this would need to come after the router.

If you don't mind sharing what it is you're trying to achieve I'd be more than happy to provide any further information you may need Smiley 

MrMot
Grafter

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t consider that it’d be on another network segment / subnet. 

I was hoping to take a feed to my TV which is currently fed via WiFi. Ubiquiti gear so pretty reliable but the CAT5 is so close I couldn’t resist considering it. 

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

You could put the switch after the router somewhere, preferably somewhere central to your home so you can run lines to anything you'd want wired, one line from ONT to where ever you want your router or if you have your own ubiquiti access points put our router right next to the ONT and use that for DHCP, Dns and Wan. Run ethernet to a switch wherever you'd like to place this then connect the access points and any wired devices to the switch.

Cat5e is quite easy to terminate yourself if you wanted to get cable cheaply but you can get predone cables of various lengths fairly easily online

Or if just for the tv stick the switch behind the TV, then cable the TV and put an access point off the switch for your WiFi setup
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MrMot

Although it may not be ideal can you put the router beside the ONT. You can then install a switch on the Ethernet cable for the TC (or run a cable direct from the router) and then have a switch / access point where your router currently is.

Brian

MrMot
Grafter

No scope for a switch in that location, the Mrs wouldn't allow it!

Just had my install, seem to be getting 80/10. I imagine this will be tweaked?

ETA: Seeing 20 up now too. Working like a charm.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm in the process of changing your account type over to 80/20 so you should see higher speeds shortly.

[edit]

That's done for you now. I've also updated your ticket 178140260 with more info.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrMot
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf.

Not had an email to say the ticket has been updated but will check. Really happy with how smooth it's gone from order to install, even the ONT sits pretty well where it is.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, glad to hear the install went well!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrMot
Grafter

Regarding speeds. I'm seeing just over 20Mbps up, nearing 21 and bursting to 22.5. With downloads I'm seeing 72Mbps or so - I'm aware with *DSL that there are overheads and you won't achieve sync speed when speed testing. What's the reason with FTTP?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As there are no sync speeds on FTTP, you should be seeing speeds close to the provisioned speed of 80mbps, at least over a wired connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrMot
Grafter

I see this on speedtest.net and TBB:

Here's me transferring a file to my laptop via wireless AC from my NAS - transfer speed is around 300Mbps so I would hope to see the 80 from your service. I'll go and try with an Ethernet cable though 

Wifi speed File TX.PNG

ETA: Here's a wired speed test. I can pull 1Gbps from my NAS over this cable

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That's about the best speed you can get on 80/20 after allowing for the BT IP Profile and overheads. Fast WIFI and 1Gbps ethernet won't make it any better. Just enjoy the reliable FTTP connection.Smiley

Edit: Or have I got it wrong?  @Gandalf  Does the BT IP profile apply to FTTP connections?

MrMot
Grafter

Gandalf seems to think I should see a little more than I am. The upload would suggest that the download should be closer to the 80Mbps figure too.

There are no overheads to consider with FTTP.

Keen to get every last megabit if I can Cheesy

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I'm on the "up to 38" package and consistently get around 36/37 download speeds on a wired connection.

Last time I checked my neighbours reported lower download speeds but were using WIFi (including Apples products!!!).

Brian