cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Full Fibre Connection

keithdw
Grafter

New Full Fibre Connection

Hi, I've just had Full Fibre connected today - 300Mb, most of which we're getting on most of our devices.

I know it's still early, probably only 5 hours since we were connected and there may be a need to let some of it settle down and let the account move over from the ADSL connection and settings.

However, there is one machine that is already a cause for concern, my wife's work laptop, which runs a zscaler vpn to connect to her work - it is getting considerably less 'speed' (anecdotally at least) than it did on ADSL: about 1Mb up 15Mb down. Other devices are getting 200+/50+...

I suspect this is the VPN. (In fact I'm pretty much certain it is - and probably was previously too!) However, I need to improve these figures.

- does the PlusNET firewall get switched on - the one in the web settings NOT the router?

- do PlusNET filter any VPN traffic?

Keith

9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: New Full Fibre Connection

Not sure I understand the question about the firewall. If you mean the Plusnet server-side firewall then you control whether this is on or off yourself via our website.

No, Plusnet so not filter/throttle VPN traffic.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@keithdw 

- does the PlusNET firewall get switched on - the one in the web settings NOT the router? Not so far as I'm aware.

- do PlusNET filter any VPN traffic? No

It appears the issue is your wifes machine, or its configuration, which is the problem, but as I don't use a VPN or Full Fibre connection, hopefully another Community member with more experience of these technologies will help.

EDIT Bob beat me to it.

John
JustinG
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I've just got full fibre and the web firewall is default to off. My laptop also gave a ridiculously low speed test even when I plugged straight into the hub2. I found using a different browser gave different speed test results but using Fast.com for another speed test gave higher results. The rest of my computers only gave the expected speed test using Fast.com. There is no settling period for fttp and you should have an email to confirm your order is complete. You must be on full fibre since your upload is 50.

Are you using the same hub as before?

keithdw
Grafter

Thanks both, the server side firewall is off - the account has now fully switched over from ADSL to Fibre, and I can now see the settings.

Which tells me it's the VPN software. ZScaler does some clever funky stuff to accelerate connections, and provides a different internet facing address from the one PlusNET allocates.

We'll need to speak with her IT department and see what they can do - reading Google, it appears to be a 'thing' but issues differ.

keithdw
Grafter

Yeah, I'm using a Ubiquiti AmplifiHD router connected directly to the BT fibre modem they connect in the house. It (the router) has a speed test that gets 310Mb/75... so I know its not the Fibre, all my other devices, including a nailed down secure laptop, get Fibre appropriate speeds. It's just this single laptop using ZScaler...

It just happens to be the wife's...! 😮

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@keithdw I suspected the VPN - many of them do strange things to speed.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

My work laptop has ZScaler on it, and that severely restricts my connection speed on that machine.  I see similar top speeds on other networks from the same laptop.  All traffic is proxied through their servers which is why your IP address is different from them.

It is definitely a ZScaler thing and not a Plusnet issue though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keithdw
Grafter

Have you had any luck getting it improved? Does it hinder stuff like Teams / Video Calls / Work?

To be fair, it didn't impact her working on the same laptop on the ADSL!

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I still get speeds of 250Mbps - 300Mbps via zScaler, so more than enough to do my work, though it is only a 3rd of what I can get on other machines.  As such I've not pushed it with my company as I doubr they would do anything.  If I'm at home and "need" more speed then I've a couple of other laptops I could use rather than my work one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.