cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

probedb
Rising Star

Re: Latest on FTTP?

Scrap all that, it's literally changed in the last week and I can now get it on BT!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@probedb 

I've taken a look at this for you and from where I'm sat, both BT Wholesale and Openreach confirm you can get FTTP.

On BT Wholesale's availability checker:

On Openreach's:

If you can give us a call on 0800 013 2632 we should be able to provide you with it! Smiley

[edit]

My post crossed with your last post Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@probedb 

You can check the following with your phone number. If it says WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available to the right then you can get FTTP from any provider who uses the OpenReach network.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

ISP's market their products in different ways. The top PlusNet product is Full Fibre 900. 1000 down is not achievable due to overheads in the system - 900 may be far closer to the mark of what's possible. 

You need to phone PN to order FTTP. Note it's Internet only - you lose you phone line and NUMBER.

Brian

Edit : The wizard beat me to it with the Checker

probedb
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf and @bmc it had changed in the past week. I'll give you a should sometime this week @Gandalf as I'm not entirely sure when my current contract ends.

No requirement for a landline, all I ever get on them is wrong numbers and spam so I haven't used one for about 5 years!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, let us know how the call goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harryw66
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks for the reply.

One potential issue I could face is that there is a strong possibility we could move house in the next 12-24m - though not 100% certain.

I seem to remember something about being able to break a contract if PNet cannot provide equivalent service at any new address?

But I would be interested in the exact written T&Cs around this - as I work from home 3-4 days a week - so must have a decent internet speed - a middling or low-speed won't cut it.

Are you able to provide the precise T&Cs around this - i.e. under what conditions could I break the contract once I move?

ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If no phone lines are being offered does that mean that I won't be able to transfer back to Plusnet from BT in April (when my initial 2 years with BT runs out) and keep my current "digital voice" line?

bmc
Hero

@ciderboy 

Speak to BT - will they allow you to "port" your number out? If they do allow it then your Internet only and can sign up for PN - assuming they allow new customers by then.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@probedb 

You can upgrade your contract to FTTP at any time (I believe) though you may have to agree a new one.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@harryw66, you'll be best calling our house moves team on 0800 013 2632.

However, as an example if you have FTTC and can only get ADSL at your new address, then you would incur termination fees if you cancel, because we can provide a service, albeit it may not be the service you'd want. 

@ciderboy, I agree with bmc. If you can port your number out to VoIP then you could sign up with us for FTTP when we offer it to new customers. It'd be good to see you back! 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
probedb
Rising Star

A quick question, which router is provided for FTTP? I currently have an Asus DSL-AC56U which will become redundant, but just put in BT Whole Home wifi which actually works better than expected but just plugs into your existing router rather than requiring your broadband plugging into it's own router.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

It’s the hub2
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@probedb 

PlusNet supply a Hub2 which is a slightly modified BT SmartHub2. I won't say for certain but I suspect your BT Home WiFi should work with it.

If the Asus is VDSL capable (FTTC) then you could continue using it.

Brian

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

My friend has just moved to East London and got Community Fibre FTTP via a  top cashback https://www.topcashback.co.uk/community-fibre/ at 150mbps up and 150mbps down for £22 pcm! 

So I guess competition is going have an impact on speed and prices.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 1.51.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-06-21 1.46.17 PM.png

probedb
Rising Star

I don't think traditional providers can compete with this at all. Just like I had HyperOptic in the last flats I was in, same speed as that for the same price. Make had 1Gbps up/down for about £48/month.