Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Landline Number When Moving To FTTP

FIXED
Parallax
Dabbler

Keeping Landline Number When Moving To FTTP

I currently have FTTC broadband and a landline, both provided by Plusnet. As I'm at the end of my contract, I want to move to BT FTTP (which is cheaper and faster than what Plusnet is offering) and port my existing Plusnet landline number to a third party VOIP provider (as they're cheaper than what BT is offering and don't require the use of their terrible hub). When I move to BT's FTTP plan, will my existing Plusnet landline and call plan remain in place until I'm ready to move it? Basically, I don't want the landline and number to disappear when the new FTTP plan kicks in.

9 REPLIES 9
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Keeping Landline Number When Moving To FTTP

Fix

@Parallax 

I think your problem may have a fairly simple fix.

If you can get BT to install FTTP as a new provision (tell them you are keeping the FTTC as a backup or something) then once you have the FTTP installed and the BT service up and running, porting the phone number to VoIP will cease the Plusnet service and at that point you should have what you want!

I am the satisfied customer....
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If you apply to BT, not transfer from Plusnet, you get asked if you currently have a landline, if you say 'no' it says 'don't worry you can still get broadband and we will give you a number'

This looks as if they can't touch your Plusnet landline as they don't know what it is but I may be wrong!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Parallax  I am surprised that you claim BT's FTTP prices and speeds are better than Plusnet's, Don't know about prices but I believe both providers offer the same Openreach speed tiers. You could do what you want by getting a new FTTP service from Plusnet in addition to your FTTC line, then porting the line number to VOIP which would cancel the copper line and the FTTC service.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I am surprised that you claim BT's FTTP prices and speeds are better than Plusnet's,

Problem is that BT offer 900Mb to new customers, whereas although PN will provide it, its only as an upgrade to existing FTTP accounts.

As for prices, well I was surprised as well. BT seem to have an offer on 500Mb at the moment!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Parallax
Dabbler

Thank you all for your suggestions - it sounds like ordering the BT FTTP package through the BT website and pretending I don't have an existing number will allow my FTTC connection to continue in parallel until I'm ready to port it.

Regarding the prices and speeds, BT is indeed cheaper and faster. Plusnet's Full Fibre 500 package is £38.99 with minimum speeds of 275Mb down and 75Mb up, whereas with BT it's £30.99 (plus six months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate) with minimum speeds of 425Mb down and 73Mb up. I'd stay with Plusnet if they could match that, but I've read on here that doing so will mean my landline number disappears.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Parallax That BT price looks a very good deal, the latest offer I found on their website was £45.99 with 3 months free on a 24 month contract. I wouldn't take the minimum speeds to mean much, you should always get near the full speed on FTTP. I don't think you read my previous message as I stated you can get a new FTTP account with Plusnet and keep your existing service with an overlap so you can port the number to VOIP. so the same as you are thinking of doing with BT.  Plusnet customers who upgrade their existing account to FTTP lose their landline and number.

Parallax
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid That's a fair point regarding minimum speeds. Assuming I was able to get Plusnet to match that deal (although I'm not sure they could also throw in the Game Pass subscription), how would I go about getting the FTTP connection in addition to the FTTC line? I don't see a way to do it online, as that seems to only offer upgrades, so presumably I'd have to ring them?

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Don't try from Plusnet account. just go to Plusnet and you will get option of loosing landline or leaving with current provider. 

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Parallax

I rang the options team as nothing was available in my offers & upgrades, BUT I am still in contract & they offered different Full Fibre speeds.

I was offered the full range of speeds and now chosen the 300mb speeds far cheaper than BT, but obviously BT offered the VOIP with 2 handsets.

Only downside with Plusnet is I loose my landline, but then people tend to use mobiles..