Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving Full Fibre 500

FIXED
JustinG
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Interleaving Full Fibre 500

I received an email from support saying the following: We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving off at your request. The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off.

I didn't ask for this but have just requested to be upgraded from Full Fibre 300 to 500.

Does interleaving have to be turned off for Full Fibre 500 and will turning off interleaving reduce my stability?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Interleaving Full Fibre 500

Fix

That doesn't male any sense at all.  Interleaving doesn't exist on Full Fibre.  That is only relevant to copper line based services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JustinG
Hooked

If it doesn't exist I'll just ignore the email. Thanks you for confirming.

shazzbot
Rising Star

I just received the same after having my speed upgraded, what with the sales and all. Maybe it's just a standard email they send out, I'm thinking. My line seems fast and stable right now.

Account username:

We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving off at your request.

The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off. If you have problems and want to turn interleaving back on, you will need to use the Broadband Fault Checker.

Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn off, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.

Kind regards,

Plusnet Customer Support
www.plus.net

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Definitely shouldn't be getting sent. I've flagged it to the relevant team in case they aren't already aware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JustinG
Hooked

Did your upgrade work? We went from 300Mb to 500Mb package and I'm getting less speed than I did on 300Mb.

shazzbot
Rising Star

Yeh mine worked really well. I got the 300mb package and I'm actually getting 330mb so I'm chuffed to bits. Rock steady too!

shazzbot
Rising Star

Thank you Bobpullen. Everything is working fine. 😁

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JustinG wrote:

Did your upgrade work? We went from 300Mb to 500Mb package and I'm getting less speed than I did on 300Mb.

How are you measuring speed? Over a wired or wireless connection? Depending on the router/client device you're using, you're going to potentially struggle to pull 500mbps through a wireless connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JustinG
Hooked

@bobpullen I was testing a wired connection straight to the hub2. I used Ookla at first and then noticed the speed test differed dependant on browsers. The BT wholesale speed test also gave 300Mbps. After a bit of research someone recommended a speed test using fast.com which is more geared to testing a fibre connection (longer test and more data). I measured 460Mbps so was happy with that.

Thank you for your help

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JustinG - good to hear.

In contrast, I get a pretty consistent result using Ookla, irrespective of browser (900mbps product).

When you hit the higher throughputs there's a lot of other stuff that comes into play e.g. the capability of the device being used to run the speedtest. There will be older devices out there that simply aren't well specced enough to pull ~900mbps from a browser-based speedtest i.e. sub-par processor or disk/memory.

Not saying this is the cause in your case, but worthy of mention for anybody else that might read this thread.

There's a reason the Wholesale tester says things like this: -

Screenshot 2022-11-23 21.41.15.png

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

There’s plenty of other things that can limit it as well. For example, my high spec, pretty recent work laptop tops out at around 350mbs on my 900mbs connection. With that one the connection is proxied through some service which is what is limiting the throughput on there.

I’ve got some much older, lower spec devices that can max it out, so it definitely is that laptop.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JustinG
Hooked

@bobpullen @pjmarsh

Thank you for your comments. It's really interesting and must be frustrating at times seeing people like myself who claim they are not seeing the correct speed despite the problem being the tools to measure speed and not the actual fibre itself.

Having said that this is the first time I have used the forum and really impressed with the responses and patience from all.