cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre & Latency

OryxCallotis
Grafter

Full Fibre & Latency

I've noticed I could get FTTP in my area, so I was wondering...

• Does it affect latency over my current unlimited fibre package? If I ping google.co.uk for example, I'm on 19ms. 
  • Is latency always solid? I've heard stories from other ISP's where the lines get crowded in the evening and people end up with pings all over the place. What I'm on now is always perfectly fine.
  • Does it need some special setup / engineer visit?
  • Do I need a new router? I've been using a TP-Link W9970, as the old router I got from Plusnet ages ago (technicolor I think was the brand) was pretty bad at allowing incoming connections for various games and so on. I could just get something like a TP-Link Archer AX23, looks like it's more suited for FTTP.
  • I've just signed a new contract last month as my old one expired. Do I just continue this contract or do I need a new one, etc?

Thanks if anyone can answer.

1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

Re: Full Fibre & Latency

@OryxCallotis 

Does it affect latency over my current unlimited fibre package? If I ping google.co.uk for example, I'm on 19ms. 

In general you would expect that latency would be similar, if not slightly improved, on FTTP. There's obviously no guarantees though, as FTTP is still a contended network.

Does it need some special setup / engineer visit?

Yes. An Openreach engineer will visit to replace the copper line with a fibre one , either from the pole or underground depending on the phone infrastructure in your area. They will also install an ONT ( Optical Network Termination ) device in the house. Its similar in size to the existing Openreach master socket but does require a mains socket within 1m.

Do I need a new router? I've been using a TP-Link W9970, as the old router I got from Plusnet ages ago (technicolor I think was the brand) was pretty bad at allowing incoming connections for various games and so on. I could just get something like a TP-Link Archer AX23, looks like it's more suited for FTTP.

Yes. The W9970 will NOT be suitable, it only has 100Mb network ports and its wifi is not capable of supporting speeds compatible with FTTP options. The AX23 would be a better option but I cant find details of its firewall throughput to determine whether it would be suitable fro the higher speed FTTP options. PlusNet will send you their latest Hub 2 router for a P & P charge of £6.99 when you subscribe to FTTP.

I've just signed a new contract last month as my old one expired. Do I just continue this contract or do I need a new one, etc?

You would need to start a new ( 24 month? ) contract

As an aside , you do realise that FTTP from Plusnet does not include a phone service and you will lose your landline number?.

Hope that helps. Post back with any further questions and we'll try to answer

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.