FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

No worries Gavin and if all goes to plan, that's right. Smiley

I'm about to log off now, but I'll be back from 11:30am tomorrow (for my final shift around here!)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

@Gandalf  Ok I will go ahead and order,

Thanks for your help on this and for sorting out a couple of minor issue for me in the past. All the best in your new role and hope your successor is as helpful as you have been.

Gavin.

madgav
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf I have gone ahead and ordered the product. Will also respond to the questions that you have raised.

I very much hope all this goes to plan....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Gavin,

Cool. No worries at all and cheers! It's feeling even more real today that I'll be leaving. 

Anyway, thanks for replying to the ticket, I've updated it Here. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A slight digression so I hope the mods will approve.

Some on here will be wondering whether to jump to FTTP or wait until 2005, or whenever they are forced to.  If you are already on FTTC with PN you may be able to extend your contract by another 18 months or so even if you existing contract is not coming to an end for a few months.  As an upgrade yo may even be able to save money on your monthly payment with your FTTC and phone options remaining the same. 

In my case there was a benefit as at present the package I am on provides expectd 66-68 Mbps download, 16-18 Mbps upload, and guaranteed 62Mbps download.  Since Plusnet resolved an issue via OpenReach a month or so back I usually get around 69-70 down, and 17 up.  (I am only 120 metres according to OR from the cabinet.) With FTTP I would get  an expected 74 Mbps down, and 18 up. However only with a guarantee of 40Mbps down in my case there is no point at this stage, and that 40 Mbps guarantee is a bit worrying.  However that will not be an PN issue, but OR's.

bgiles
Rising Star

@Total_Chaos 

I think you mean 2025, rather than 2005 😉

I totally agree with your suggestion, and have done exactly the same, renewing my FTTC for another 18 months. 

Between now and end of 2025, ISP's who fail to provide a VoIP service, and means of porting their existing number, are at risk of losing customers to the likes of BT.

Whilst I'm not necessarily interested in retaining my analogue number, I'd rather have a choice.

However, I'd imagine BT (OR) are trying to make this as difficult as possible for other ISP's, in order grab as many customers as they can, and then charge them analogue call prices for VoIP (I pay £5/month for a geographical number and 100 minutes, more than enough for me, whereas I believe BT charge £5 for the VoIP service + £7 for 700 minutes, or 23ppm for PAYG).

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@bgiles 

Yes I was going backwards in time instead of forward. That's an issue when a time traveller! 😀

From what I have read elsewhere generally speaking the ISPs that will be offering a phone service are basing that on the normal landline prices, including any available options.  This doesn't really make sense and doing what you have done is the best solution, and what I would do if i decide eventually that I need a phone number.  (I have used and run VoIP systems before.  The biggest issue here is that many of the free or less expensive VoIP operators may hike their prices, so we will see what happens as FTTP becomes prevalent.)  Like you I think people should have had the opportunity, though how Ofcom and BT has handled this is really bad.  Where I live I note that most that are now offering FTTP it is only without a phone, though at least is talking about connecting mobile phones to the internet via FTTP to send and receive calls.  The fact that some ISPs can migrate an existing account to FTTP and keep the landline number for use by a virtual number provider means that this may be a conscious decision, though there may be cost implications, and possibly messy., so that maybe the reason why there is that additional cost.  It would be nice to have somebody say that we can leave you with that phone number but it will cost you so much up front, or monthly and at least give them the choice.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Total_Chaos 

If the 2025 date is met then there is no doubt that ISPs who fail to provide a VoIP service or (not and, there are third party VoIP parties around) means of porting the number out they will lose customers. The end of 2025 is three years away and we don’t know what options Plusnet will be offering by then. It’s easy to imagine BT conspiracy theories without realising the implications of the change.

Broadband Internet connections are an add on the basic PSTN analogue phone service. So, the service is probably identified from the original phone number. With the removal of the PSTN service this is all reversed. If you still  want a landline connection then this is now an add on to the digital FTTP or broadband FTTC connection to the property.

This must have massive implications for back office systems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cpc6128
Dabbler

I've got fibre extra and I'm looking into moving to full fibre and keep my existing landline number for incoming voip calls. I've been looking into my options and they seem very limited without paying a lot.

I can only see two solutions to this which are workable without paying a lot which are upgrade to Full Fibre and lose landline or move to Full Fibre with BT and Digital Voice. I don't have all the information so I might have missed something.

- upgrading existing account to Full Fibre will cease the landline

- I'm served by a pole so upgrading to Full Fibre will likely mean the copper line is removed.

- Plusnet agent said there would be a penalty for migrating to voip while in contract.

- penalties are waived only if going to BT?

- Plusnet Full Fibre router supports DECT/VOIP?

- I can in theory have a Full Fibre and Fibre Extra service active at the same time by signing up as a new customer and keeping my existing service. I could then port my number to a voip service when the Full Fibre is active. However can a Fibre Extra service run (even for a short time) without a copper line/connection? The plusnet agent seemed unsure about this one.

- If I signed up for BT with Digital Voice can the Digital Voice be migrated to another VOIP provider without ceasing the full fibre? Some information online indicates it's tied together.

- signing up to a voip provider my analogue phone is no longer useable so my options are:

a) a different modem/router with DECT (to use with existing analogue phone DECT handset), any cheaper than £60?

b) use existing phone with a DECT->VOIP base station (around £35) + handset (around £70)?

c) use one of our mobile phones to receive the calls via a SIP2SIM service by A&A but that's not compatible with our landline number so it can't be used.

d) use a softphone on android and route the calls to that? Any recommendations?

Can anyone help with any of these?

bgiles
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

'Broadband Internet connections are an add on the basic PSTN analogue phone service. So, the service is probably identified from the original phone number. With the removal of the PSTN service this is all reversed.
This must have massive implications for back office systems.'

Completely understood
So when PSTN is finally retired, I can only imagine Openreach (and ISP's) will have moved a consistent method of property identifiers, e.g. UPRN, rather than the current mix of one for FTTP customers, and the old analogue number for FTTC & ADSL.
Once this is finally completed, FTTC/ADSL customers should be able to port their number to a VoIP service, with their current or another provider, without affecting their service, then upgrade to FTTP.

Therefore, for many who are happy with their current FTTC/ADSL service who want a landline number, it may be wise to wait.
Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

- upgrading existing account to Full Fibre will cease the landline

Correct

- I'm served by a pole so upgrading to Full Fibre will likely mean the copper line is removed.

Not necessarily

- Plusnet agent said there would be a penalty for migrating to voip while in contract.

Moving to VOIP will cease the landline and broadband, hence possible ETCs

- penalties are waived only if going to BT?

It would appear so, yes

No it doesn't, it has sockets but the firmware does not support voip

- I can in theory have a Full Fibre and Fibre Extra service active at the same time by signing up as a new customer and keeping my existing service. I could then port my number to a voip service when the Full Fibre is active. However can a Fibre Extra service run (even for a short time) without a copper line/connection? The plusnet agent seemed unsure about this one.

FTTC can not run without a copper line, I'm staggered that any agent is unsure about that!!

However, if the FTTC service is remaining active, then there's no reason why OR should remove the copper line when installing FTTP

- If I signed up for BT with Digital Voice can the Digital Voice be migrated to another VOIP provider without ceasing the full fibre? Some information online indicates it's tied together.

Dont know on that one, youd need to ask BT ( and they probably wont give an answer )

- signing up to a voip provider my analogue phone is no longer useable so my options are:

a) a different modem/router with DECT (to use with existing analogue phone DECT handset), any cheaper than £60?

b) use existing phone with a DECT->VOIP base station (around £35) + handset (around £70)?

c) use one of our mobile phones to receive the calls via a SIP2SIM service by A&A but that's not compatible with our landline number so it can't be used.

d) use a softphone on android and route the calls to that? Any recommendations?

or even an ATA like the Grandstream HT812 ( about £50 ) allowing you to use your existing phones , DECT or wired

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@cpc6128 

If you go down the new customer route with PlusNet then you lose PN e-mail and any other add ons you may have.

By choosing the keep number option on sign up PN must keep your FTTC account open long enough to port your number away to a VOIP provider. This probably should be done asap after your FTTP goes live.

You would be on the hook for two monthly account charges until you port your number which ceases your FTTC account. It has been suggested in previous threads that PN would waive any cancellation charges on the FTTC account so long as you had PN FTTP installed. You would need to get (written) confirmation of this before proceeding on this basis. Unfortunately the wizard who knew the answers has moved on from the media support group.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@cpc6128 wrote:

Can anyone help with any of these?

To the best of my knowledge, the hub two does not facilitate DECT or VoIP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

I've just been reading Press release: 27 April 2022

https://newsroom.bt.com/consumer-sharpening-our-focus-to-create-a-better-business/ 

Two senetences are quite interesting;

From today, we’re starting the preparations to make the EE brand our flagship brand for Consumer customers focusing on convergence and future services.
And Plusnet, our value brand, will continue to serve customers with basic no-frills broadband and landline.

Interesting to see how this pans out as neither EE nor Plusnet currently provide a VOIP service. To retain my landline number I have to move to BT (or another provider) or jump through hoops and get the timing right.

I don't know the timescales but I don't think BT has thought this through. What will happen when BT broadband for consumers is closed?

ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

After the dealings I've had with BT I would suggest a street party...

😁