Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Re: FTTP Installation

No problems at all.

Router aside, I've been delighted with the FTTP trial so far

I'm glad to hear this. Smiley

- though desperately need to kill my phone line as it's unused and expensive!

I'll be happy to help with that. If you're still in contract you'll need to pay off the phone side of it which is £8.54 for each month remaining (Usually works out a lot cheaper than paying line rental per month).

I'd raise a ticket to us at trials.plus.net if you want to go ahead, letting me know over here once you've done that and I'll take a look tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sienco
Dabbler

I've been out of contract for about 3 years. I just want to ensure I port the phone number over to a VOIP service before I cancel it, but thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Ahh OK, fair enough. Smiley
Let us know over here when/if you do go ahead so we can make sure nothing happens to your account/FTTP service when your line ceases automatically when the number is exported away.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Sienco

If the 'wireless booster' was communicating itself with the router by wireless then it probably wouldn't help, what would likely be better would be a WAP (Wireless Access Point) which would connect to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Sienco
Dabbler

That is true, but if I were to be buying more equipment I'd just get a higher quality fibre router rather than an additional WAP device.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I see your point, but it's sometimes better to use a WAP which can then be placed in a better position than the router.  My own router a (long-in-the-tooth) DrayTek 2920Vn has reasonable WiFi but it's position and the construction of the house means there were several spots with no usable signal.  Therefore I purchased a Ubiquiti WAP which I've placed centrally in the loft (just resting on the upstairs landing ceiling ATM, still waiting to be mounted on the ceiling itself!) and now I've got a single usable WiFi signal throughout the house (router WiFi disabled).

Obviously I had to run an Ethernet cable!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Sienco

If you're in a position to run fibre cable then the router can be where ever you want - it's not tied to the ONT - unlike VDSL where the closer to the Master Socket the better.

I ran approximately 15m of cable to bring the router into my back room where I have two PC's which are connected via LAN.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@bmc

Good point but I think you meant Ethernet cable (not fibre)?  Wink

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Indeed I did - still half asleep this morning!!!

Brian

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.