Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Install - Hub 2 position question

FIXED
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

FTTP Install - Hub 2 position question

I'm due to get FTTP installed next week (upgrade from FTTC) and just thinking about where I can position my Hub 2.

Currently I've a 10 metre wire which comes from the BT Master Socket to my current router, positioned some distance away (an internal wall near my TV). This then provides both wifi and ethernet connectivity to other devices.

Would it be possible when BTOR come round, to position the ONT in a similar position to the master socket and I run my own Cat8 cable from there to the Hub 2 which will be similarly positioned as my current router? I saw an earlier post suggesting the red ended patch cable should be used but wanted to make sure my thinking will work.

Thanks Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: FTTP Install - Hub 2 position question

Cat8? Bit overkill Smiley Cat 6 is more than enough.
Depending on the route the engineer might be able to be place the ONT near where you want the router to be.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Would it be possible when BTOR come round, to position the ONT in a similar position to the master socket

As long as there is a mains socket within a metre, as the ONT needs power

and I run my own Cat8 cable from there to the Hub 2 which will be similarly positioned as my current router?

That should be fine. Cat8 is a bit of an overkill, anything Cat5e or above is Gigabit capable and should be fine

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks @dvorak and @MisterW. I agree slight overkill, but there wasn't a massive price difference between cat6 and cat8 so I went for it.

Was also thinking about putting ONT on the internal wall but I bet the engineer isn't interested in hiding the wires behind skirting boards etc, so probably better if I do it beforehand.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@minkey 

As the router is connected via Ethernet cable you can put it anywhere you're happy to run cable - I believe the limit is 100m.

As mentioned, you may have the option of installing the ONT in a different location depending on the power situation and the willingness of the OR engineer to help.

Brian

notcloud
Grafter

Pretty much as Brian said. If your current router is placed in a good position now, and routing some cat x cables is something you can do without much drama, then leave the ONT and  router as close to where master socket/router is now. 

If relocating router, just remember it does require 240v to the power brick as well. Trust me me a friend whom installs servers and finds switches attached to extension leads in some really janky places, just because its a better place for the switch.