Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Fixed IP

FIXED
notcloud
Grafter

FTTP Fixed IP

Morning, just been on the phone to PN (Tom) nice chap, originally I had a fixed IP assigned and was assured when I took out the package that I would retain a fixed IP. Now its installed it still says I have a fixed IP on the web portal, in the static IP details section, yet looking at the xDSL section under IP Address it says `Server assigned` (dynamic). Now I have rung in, but all Tom could say that they have. had some issues and to try turn it off and on again. I have done that and all that happened was I got a new IP address. His next piece of advice is that `we are working on it and it will be fixed at some point`.

"Some Point" is not really a good starting position, so I said what a day/week/month or heaven forbid a year, he said shouldn`t be that long and it is affecting others (I guess others means other users), but could not give a time frame and to try it again in a week. Now ordinarily this would not be an issue, other than I have an IPSEC VPN bridge which whilst it has place markers for dyndns etc, they don`t seem to play well with the server, so a proper fixed IP site to site VPN is most def the way forward. 

Anyway, rant over

66 REPLIES 66
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: FTTP Fixed IP

Fix

Discussed here https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/New-install-slow-sleeps-70-70-Rather-than-500/m-p/1876521#M...

and here https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-upgrade-line-training/td-p/1875231/page/2

Problem is under investigation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notcloud
Grafter

I`ll click fixed, even tho its not. Maybe I might have to revisit dyndns etc and see why its not playing ball with the server

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@notcloud wrote:

I`ll click fixed, even tho its not. 

@notcloud 
Useful thread though - the thread title highlights a specific issue and the immediately-allocated 'fix' directs people to other relevant threads whose titles don't actually mention fixed (static) IP.

Quite a good way of signposting, on balance.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

My understanding is that a "fixed" IP address is effectively a "reserved" IP address - i.e. the IP address is allocated when your equipment connects, but with a "fixed" IP it will always be allocated the same "reserved" address. So although it is reported as dynamic that simply means that the device is allocated an address by the far end, but the actual IP address will always be the same (="fixed").

notcloud
Grafter

Yes a fixed IP is assigned the same IP each time the router is rebooted. A dynamic IP can change each time the router is rebooted, not always. A fixed IP is useful if like me I require a IPsec bridge to work for CCTV, access to the NASbox etc. The SIP/VOIP phone system also requires me to point the remote phones to the correct server to actually work.

However if it says `server assigned` that means dynamic IP, as it said before fixed IP in the PN web portal. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Yes. My point though was that even if the router says the IP is dynamic, it doesn't mean that its isn't a static IP address. If you have a Plusnet static IP it is likely that the router setting will say dynamic.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@corringham  It's not what the router says as that is just getting the allocated IP from Plusnet. The Member Centre should state you have a static IP on the account.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@corringham wrote:

Yes. My point though was that even if the router says the IP is dynamic, it doesn't mean that its isn't a static IP address. If you have a Plusnet static IP it is likely that the router setting will say dynamic.

I would agree with this.

The known problem we’re working on with our static IPs not being assigned to some FTTP connections could possibly change how it’s displayed in the Member Centre.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf  As far as the router is concerned it is always a dynamic IP as it is not configured to be static at the router end, but just always given the same IP by DHCP.

I'm afraid I cannot make any sense of your sentence about the problem with Static IPs on FTTP accounts. Is it a statement about the problem or that a future fix may affect the display in the Member Centre?  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the confusion. If an account has a static IP and it doesn't show this in the portal (plus.net), then it could be because of the known problem with the static IP not working for some FTTP connections. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gandalf 

I'm on FTTP (trial, now out of contract) and have a static IP and although it hasn't stopped working, there has been no mention of it on the portal for a  l o n g  time.  I can't remember when it's config page disappeared.

Just mentioning that so no need to stress over it. Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN,

Your static IP technically wasn't applied via the add-ons tab in the portal, but applied a different way when you first signed up many moons ago. Also as you're on the FTTP trial 'FTTC package' still, that'd explain why it's carried on working. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gandalf wrote:

... Also as you're on the FTTP trial 'FTTC package' still, that'd explain why it's carried on working. Smiley

Fair enough @Gandalf , better the devil you know so I won't be 'contracting' my FTTP any time soon. Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN, there aren't any other issues as far as I'm aware with upgrading from the FTTP trial to a full fibre package, so once we've got the static IP issue fixed, if you move to one of our new shiny products, your service should work the same as it does now. It might even get faster. Wink

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet