Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM reset

FIXED
mszune
Grafter

DLM reset

Having switched from BT to Plusnet a few months ago I was hoping that during my switch my line would be reset so that my new connection would return to the speeds I once used to receive, however no line reset was completed and unfortunately my line is still banded as per my previous BT connection.

The only difference is that my BT line was set at 73995 and my Plusnet line is now set at 73993, while I understand my download (69.5) is within the acceptable tolerance as the increase of devices used within my property quickly utilize this connection due to online gaming etc every MB is critical for all other users within our home, therefore can I please request a DLM reset in the hope my connection will improve.

Previously I was using a draytek 130 modem and an Asus RT-AC68U router whereas the router was faulty and potentially was the route cause of my banded line, however all equipment has now been replaced and DLM just wont adjust my line no matter how long I leave it connected, so I am please reaching out to a member of staff that hopefully will add my line to the DLM daily reset list.

I have in the meantime switched to a static IP in the hope this will also improve my line/connection. 

TIA

15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Re: DLM reset

Hi @mszune

I've arranged for your line to be reset now which should go through within 3 working days and you should get a bit more speed on your line afterwards. Let us know if there are further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mszune
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf 

Many thanks for your prompt action to address my question and arrange the said line reset, if only other ISP's offered the same prompt and professional service without beating around the bush with multiple excuses.

I tip my hat to you sir cheers!!!!!      

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @mszune 

Cheers for the feedback and kind words. No problem at all, happy to help in any way I can. 

I'd tip my hat but I'm not currently wearing one. Wait a minute. *Puts hat on and tips it* There we go. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mszune
Grafter

@Gandalf No problem at all fella, credit where credit is due.

I had noticed my connection had altered yesterday evening and my line IP profile has changed to 77.43, I'm now averaging 73 to 73.5mb.

just one query was my line reset so that all the previous line errors had been zero'd or simply a profile change like when you first join a new ISP?

I only ask as my line might revert back to being banded if not reset correctly.

Cheers

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Excellent, I'm glad to see it looks like your line has been reset already. I've just prodded up the 'connection profile' on your account to the highest it goes of 78mbps (as it should be around the IP profile). Try rebooting your router and retesting your speed again, you may see a little more afterwards.

It'd have been a reset of the caution counters that DLM uses to figure out when to apply banding. By doing this reset, the line will be on an open profile with no banding but if there are errors or disconnections, then this will trigger the caution counters to build up again and may ultimately re-apply the banding. 

A full DLM reset is basically this plus other parameters are reset such as the SNR, ReTX and interleaving.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mszune
Grafter

@Gandalf Once again thanks for the speedily response to my additional question with a further tweeking of my line, I havent seen a profile change just yet, but once I do I will reset again and then let the line settle for a few weeks to see if banding re-appears.

Kudos @Gandalf 👏🙌

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all @mszune 

The latest 'tweak' I've done you won't see a profile change as this isn't actually anything to do with your line.

It's a profile on your account that if set below the IP profile of the line can restrict your throughput/download speed.

I've increased it to the max it goes so once your router drops connection and reconnects, you should be getting the fastest. 

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mszune
Grafter

@Gandalf looking good!! 🙌👍

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Aye, now that's a good connection to game on. Good luck with the gaming!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mszune
Grafter

@Gandalf My line has been a constant 74.5 down for the last two months, although I've noticed some bizarre behaviour with it yesterday, my BT wholesale max observed has reset to 80-20 and yet my line speed now averages about 71.

I have naturally conducted a line resync by switching off the router and modem with no improvement.

Having run a speedtest direct from my router it reports a 100% loss; I believe nothing has changed my end and so I'm wondering is there a fault on the line?

loss.jpgmaxobserved.jpg 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @mszune

Thanks a lot for reaching out. Given the nature of the Openreach network, line speeds can fluctuate from time to time, it's really normal. I've run a test on your line this morning and can see that it's syncing at full capacity.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 205.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-10-25T10:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 662.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I’d also bear in mind that the IP profile is typically between 90 to 96 % of a sync speed and your throughput a little lower due to overheads of the connection as well as particular settings which DLM may have applied. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mszune
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback it is very much appreciated, so as my line with you guys is set at 78 I wont see a great deal of difference while it is set at maximum with OR?

mszune
Grafter

@Anoush my main concern is the data loss I see in the router when I run the sppedtest, should I be concerned with this?