Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping.

FIXED
Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Connection dropping.

Been on the FTTP trial for many years and always had a absolutely stable connection without a single drop, I am using a wired ethernet connection from the router to my desktop computer and in the past month I have been getting regular connection drops, when first connected to FTTP I was using a Plusnet 582n router for a couple of years then changed to my own Netgear router which has been stable until now thinking it may be the router I reconnected using the 582n router and have now had two dropped connections using the 582n router, can someone hopefully Gandalf advise.

22 REPLIES 22
Hobo
Rising Star

Re: Connection dropping.

Additional information, connection just dropped again normally have to restart the router to reconnect but this time connected itself after a few seconds.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Hobo 

I've tagged @Gandalf as he's usually the goto man over the FTTP Trial.

However, if he doesn't answer today I believe he's out of the office until the 9th

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Hobo

I've taken a look into this for you and our tests aren't showing any issues though I can see you've had a fair amount of drops last Thursday from looking at the picture below of your connection:

Are you still having issues now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hobo
Rising Star

Thanks for coming back, at the moment I am still using the 582n router, it has appeared more stable for the last few days but I keep getting drops for a few seconds then it reconnects itself, when the problem first started the internet lights on both the Netgear and the 582n router would be lost and the signal from the ONT would sometimes be lost intermittently and I had to restart the router, now I have noticed the ethernet connected network signal to the TV drops and it has to be connected whenever the connection has momentarily dropped.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Hobo, thanks for getting back to us and thank you for the information Smiley

I am really sorry for the delay in getting back to you and for the continued issues you're having with the service dropping.

I have checked on the connection today and we are seeing a stable connection for the last 14 days, so the drops aren't logging (maybe too brief).

The next step in getting this progressed as it impacts Ethernet connections, would be for us to send an engineer for you. I have created a fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=222904957 and if you reply with the requested info (and nudge me on here once done) I'll get this picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Hobo
Rising Star

Thanks @LaurenB the connection has been stable for several days now but this is what it has been doing for a few months, it started to occasionally drop the connection then be stable for several days which I assumed was my router but the last time it was dropping every few hours no matter which router I was using however it has now been ok for several days, maybe an  intermittent connection is possible my fibre cable it run underground and I noticed the manhole was half full of water the last time an engineer was working in it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there, cheers for the update, I'm really sorry again for the long delay. There seems to be a delay of around ~7 days before posts in the FTTP Trial board are pushed into the internal tool we use to respond.

I'm glad to see your connection's stable. It looks like that one of my colleagues in our Faults Team got back to you a lot more quickly onto the ticket ref 222904957. Let us know how things go. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hobo
Rising Star

Hi again,

After having a stable connection since my last post it has suddenly started dropping again, I am using the Plusnet supplied 582n router and the internet light keeps going red for several seconds then it reconnects itself this has only started today, can my ticket ref 222904957 be resurrected as it appears to be the same fault.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm sorry that's become an issue again. I've just been running some line tests which don't show any obvious causes for the issue. I can see that we sent out a Hub One a few years ago, did you receive that? It would be worth giving that a try if you haven't already so we can make sure you're using a more up-to-date router. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Hobo
Rising Star

Hi, my internet is now dropping continuously, on checking the installation I have found the top of the fibre junction box on the outside wall of my property has cracked and has been letting in water which must be the cause of the problem, I need a BT Openreach engineer to attend to replace the box and check the fibre cable the box appears to be disintegrating if you touch it. It may be better is as well as replying hear you contact me by landline as well as the connection is very intermittent.

Hobo
Rising Star

Any chance that Gandalf can look into this as no one else appears to be up on FTTP problems, still very intermitted connection and not useable, as above a BT/Openreach engineer is required to fit new junction box and check whether the fibre cable needs replacing any day or time for an engineer visit is ok the soonest the better as we can always be available.

Also there is an open question number 224586538 which I have replied to and no one has come back to me, if the connection drops and I cannot reply to any updates my landline can be used or any texts on my mobile.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @Hobo, I'm really sorry for the continued issues you have experienced with your service. I can certainly see there has been a high amount of drops occurring with your service, I'm sorry for the hassle this causes and would like to do what I can to help. 

I have raised a fault with our suppliers and we will need to send an engineer for you. I have updated the fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=224586538 and have sent a text. If you give me a nudge on here once you've replied, I'll pick that up for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Hobo
Rising Star

Thanks Lauren, 

As the connection only stays when the router is first stared for short periods before dropping I have been leaving it off until needed, I received the text and replied to that so hopefully things will start moving.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for adding your reply, I've got the engineer booked in for you Smiley Let us know how you get on!

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team