Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about FFTP

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Confusion about FFTP

@Gardener 

Until WBC FTTP is shown as Available then it's a matter of conjecture. Although OR may be installing in your area it can take a few months until it's complete.

Are you happy with your current speed and reliability? If you are then there's no need to down the FTTP route at this time.

The next question is when does your PN contract run out? If you jump ship before this then you may be liable for early termination charges (unless you go to BT). Note that if you jump you lose PN e-mail.

If you choose to use a separate VOIP provider then you could do worse that the following. Their Internet service is not cheal but VOIP appears to be reasonably priced.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/

Brian

Gardener
Dabbler

@bmc 

I know that it is uncertain when I will be connected but I have been told that it should be in the next month.

I am not under contract and I am not happy with my speed as, at the moment, I am lucky to get 1.1Mbps so I definitely want something quicker.

Thanks for the link to that VOIP provider - I shall look into it.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Gardener 

Given your speed I assume you're either on ADSL or a long way from the cabinet.

Most ISP's use the checker I linked to earlier to see what's available for an address. Until it shows FTTP as available no online site will be able to quote prices for you. You'll need to look round ISP websites, see the prices on offer and see if any take your fancy. Once available you can re-check and choose which ever meets your needs.

You'll have a choice of speeds (38/10, 78/20 and faster). The higher the speed the more you pay. The longer the contract you sign the less you pay.

If you separate your phone from the internet by using an independent VOIP provider then you have more choice - including PN if they get the number port sorted.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Gardener , you said you don't get a mobile signal where you are - you need to be aware that if you use a VoIP phone service then it will not work in a power cut (unlike existing PSTN phone lines) unless you have some battery backup for your router and phone. So with VoIP you would not be able to make emergency calls in a power cut (or even report a power cut).

Gardener
Dabbler

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Protech wrote:
For clarity
Plugging your existing analogue landline phone into a plusnet hub 2 router connected via FTTP will not work
Edit
Too slow already answered

You have to wonder why customers are happy with this reduced service offering, probably at a higher price! We should expect improvement to the network function, not reduction. People are blinded by the lure of increased speeds, never mind existing Plusnet product (FTTC) works fine, even with two Netflix users streaming at the same time.

Gardener
Dabbler

@mechanic123 I would be quite happy if I had been offered Fibre to the cabinet. I live in a rural area and, because of the distance from the nearest telephone pole, I never had any option to choose that but was forced to have Fibre to the Premises. I agree, the speeds will be far more than I need or really want and will cost much more but anything has to be an improvement on the poor 1.1Mbps I get at the moment when nothing can be streamed and if more than one person is trying to use the internet at the same time, things nearly grind to a halt.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@mechanic123 wrote:

... People are blinded by the lure of increased speeds, never mind existing Plusnet product (FTTC) works fine, even with two Netflix users streaming at the same time.

It's not just speed though, don't forget the massively increased reliability factor of fibre versus a copper line which probably has several vulnerable joints along it's length susceptible to water ingress, also no DLM etc.

@Gardener wrote:

... I would be quite happy if I had been offered Fibre to the cabinet. I live in a rural area and, because of the distance from the nearest telephone pole, I never had any option to choose that but was forced to have Fibre to the Premises. 

@Gardener 

I presume you mean distance to the cabinet as the maximum span from a pole is (from memory) only about 65 metres. Smiley

@Gardener wrote:

... I agree, the speeds will be far more than I need or really want and will cost much more ...

But you don't need to take a speed option which is excessive to your needs, there's a 40/10 Mbps option which is reasonably priced.