cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

Bazza
Grafter

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

@Spesh exactly the same situation I was in. I've seen my IP profile drop by 10MBps which is so annoying being as it was 77Mbps for so long and increasingly I find myself leaving my PC on overlnight simply so my downloads don't count towards my 120GB monthly limit. Even then I'm worried I might go over it.
SpecialD
Rising Star

It was fine with ADSL, I had 60gb limit which I rarely got near as it took ages to download anything! - If I bought something on Steam or on the playstation I'd have to leave it on overnight, not just because it didn't count, but also because it took so many hours to get anything I didn't want to tie up my piddly connection during the day!
But with Fibre I can get things much quicker, so the 40Gb 'value' has already been stepped over once, which is why I changed quickly on to extra. With one of the kids playing call of duty that can notch up 1Gb every 5hrs of play .. !!
It's just a bit annoying that the package doesn't have as many benefits as the BT infinity one (at present)
Bazza
Grafter

My sentiments entirely.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I really think there is a strong possibility things might change very shortly. I don't have a problem with 120GB myself, even on 80/20, but obviously many do and they will be off elsewhere otherwise. The one "fly in the ointment" is that BT, at a high level, might have made a decision to "encourage" Plusnet users to move to BT Retail in a similar way that Madasafish users are being pushed towards Plusnet.
leng
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
I really think there is a strong possibility things might change very shortly. I don't have a problem with 120GB myself, even on 80/20, but obviously many do and they will be off elsewhere otherwise. The one "fly in the ointment" is that BT, at a high level, might have made a decision to "encourage" Plusnet users to move to BT Retail in a similar way that Madasafish users are being pushed towards Plusnet.

My usage is such that my current 80GB limit (legacy contract from original trial) is more than adequate most of the time but I have occasional peaks where I require a more.  120GB would mitigate the situation (at £10/month upgrade cost) but would still require micromanagement of my internet usage during peaks.  I don't really want to move away from Plusnet but the unlimited/unshaped BT offering is looking more and more attractive.  Do we have any firm date for the announcement of the cost and T&Cs of the new products?
As for encouraging plusnet users to defect, BT kindly offer a long list of phone numbers to make it easy for you to get a MAC from your current ISP.  Plusnet is conspicuously absent from the list.
Bazza
Grafter

Indeed and I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again, I really would like to stay with PlusNet but in this emerging market this product as it currently stands is simply not compensative. With Sky offering truly unlimited fibre for £20 per month it's hard to ignore this and BT's Infinity 2.
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

These other providers are fine and on the face of it seem good value. On the other hand if anything goes wrong what assurances have you that you can speak to someone that speaks your language and understands what you are on about.
I'm not saying that PN get everything right first time but on the occasions I've had to contact them they have been first class and sorted it out very quickly. That means a lot to me, quality over quantity I would suggest.
120Gb is well within my usage, in fact 40Gb was only just too low, but I guess yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.
I'm paying £38 for extra fibre and anytime phone. Other than the fact it would cost me dearly to move (Only 4 months in) I'm staying where I am for the time being.
Gerry.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: leng
As for encouraging plusnet users to defect, BT kindly offer a long list of phone numbers to make it easy for you to get a MAC from your current ISP.  Plusnet is conspicuously absent from the list.

Yes, I noticed that! Even Madasafish is on the list so it is a bit weird.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: Gerry
I'm not saying that PN get everything right first time but on the occasions I've had to contact them they have been first class and sorted it out very quickly. That means a lot to me, quality over quantity I would suggest.

Absolutely, the thought of dealing with BT's overseas call centres fills me with dread; in the past I have found that the only way to get something done with BT was to email the CEO. madness!
Bazza
Grafter

It is customer service that has kept me with PlusNet all these years. Not that I have ever really needed it until this trial but it has always felt good to know they will sort out any problem with the minimum of fuss. But cost is likely to be the main factor when people decide who to go with rather than customer service. If somebody is looking for a fibre ISP and they are not currently with PlusNet then PlusNet's customer service is anecdotal to them. How much is it and what do I get is more likely to be the ball breaker. Recently 3 friends ordered fibre from BT. I tried to get them to move to PlusNet based on reliability of service and solid customer service. That wasn't enough for any of them. "Be limited to 120GB per month downloads during peak time and heavy traffic management for the majority of the day" is not a good selling point. Add to that I told them they could "buy" the Pro Add-on for an extra £5 per month and they laughed. It doesn't matter how good customer service is if the product is so out of kilt with competitors.
I started a thread not long ago extolling the qualities of PlusNet's customer service on these very forums but it is hard to make that the deciding factor when choosing a service.
krakkenbus

My speed seems to have dropped by around 10Mb/s in the last week. Before that it was more than stable. Should I raise a ticket and see if anything is up with my speed profiles etc?
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Bazza
I started a thread not long ago extolling the qualities of PlusNet's customer service on these very forums but it is hard to make that the deciding factor when choosing a service.

I'm not dis-agreeing, cost plays a huge part, but after being on the end of Vodafone at homes customer service in whatever country that's delivered from makes PN's effort seem positively refreshing.
It's a topic that will never be resolved but for me it's sticking with the devil you know.
Good luck with whoever you end up with.
Gerry.
paulpicks21
Grafter

I class myself as one of the lucky few, I have not posted on this thread for quite some time regarding any issues I have had with speeds simply because it's running fantastic.
I was one of the first to join this trial and my speeds have always been the same, I had a few issues a while back with speeds dropping really low to below 20 meg for a few nights here and there but that cleared up after a while.
It's been really solid for a long time now.
leng
Grafter

Quote from: Gerry
Quote from: Bazza

I'm not dis-agreeing, cost plays a huge part, but after being on the end of Vodafone at homes customer service in whatever country that's delivered from makes PN's effort seem positively refreshing.
It's a topic that will never be resolved but for me it's sticking with the devil you know.
Good luck with whoever you end up with.
Gerry.

I've always been willing to pay a bit more for good service, or rather the belief that I will get good service if I need it as I've really not had to use the telephone help for many years.  However, that presupposes that you will be offered the product that you want.  Unfortunately there is still no indication that PN will be offering a truely unlimited/unthrottled 80/20 service.  If there is no assurance soon that such a thing will be offered within a reasonable timeframe I fear that I will have to abandon ship.  My past experience with BT was that their business product service was excellent so maybe business infinity would be the way to go.  Mind, that was in the days of IDSN so things may have changed since.
v70ben
Grafter

Being totally honest.
I've placed 3 family members broadband with Plusnet, plus my own.
The primary reasons were customer service, price and support.
Previously, 1 had been with Orange (Shocking) and one with PostOffice (I know I know...) - both were terrible and then some.
Gotta admit, I find myself slightly worried by the fact that I heard recently that Plusnet was BT's "Budget ISP".  Huh
I find the traffic management policies interesting...
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346/?s_cid=con_FURL_broadbandusagepolicy
Ok, so it's £26 a month, plus £19.50 for anytime calls and line rental. (45.40 in total)
I'm paying PN about £40 for the "same".
I've got to admit, paying an extra fiver for no traffic management and unlimited usage..... Seems fairly attractive tbh.
Looking at the Traffic Management page for the Extra Fibre product... makes me wonder why they bother having an 80Mb connection, the vast overriding majority of the policy restricts pretty much anything to 10Mb tops  Roll_eyes Unless you pay for pro add on, but then you still have to contend with the 120Gb limit - and on fibre at an extra £1 per Gb...
Thats some scary ass bills you could run up!
I'd happily pay the extra £5 per month, to not be throttled - but to also increase the limit substantially - especially as I'm on a premium product. I'd still be more than happy for P2P to be heavily throttled during daytime/evening hours, that would stop any "abuse"
Those on 40Gb limits must really struggle if they really use the internet - I've given up watching TV over the net in HD on my TV, and schedule downloads for appropriate hours.