Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

@v70ben
If it didn't recognise that port as being the internet side it wouldn't do NAT!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Chinster
Mind dropping me a PM with your username? Just having a little trouble finding your account?
Thanks for the detailed feedback guys, this is exactly what we're looking for. I shall be back to "harvest" this later Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chinster
Grafter

PM Sent!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

thanks Chinster,
I'll leave this in Spencer's hands, it's unfortunately not as easy as us changing a profile at your side its more of a mis-match between profiles on BT's side of things. He'll get this sorted for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chinster
Grafter

Great thanks!
grahamt
Rising Star

Just a couple of observations on routers.
When I started on the 80/20 trial I was using the Netgear WNR1000. It was fine. I was then sent a ZyXEL NBG604. That was fine, too. I've now switched back to the Netgear, partly to see if a drop in my BT IP profile (from 67.53 to 59.82 over a number of weeks) could be related to the router in any way. Last time I looked it was still 59.82, so there's probably no router effect.
I liked the idea of the ZyXEL's gigabit ports and N300 wireless, but I have only one computer that has a gigabit port and (a different) one that is 802.11n-compatible, so these things aren't crucial to me at the moment. The performance was OK with both routers, but I like the display panel on the Netgear a lot better (just green blobs on the ZyXEL, different shapes and colours on the Netgear that let you see what's going on quicker). I like the 'Guest network' feature on the Netgear so I can let guests use the router for internet access without giving access to my home network. It looks like the ZyXEL can be configured in a similar way, but it's more complicated.
I don't have the TG582n, but I definitely wouldn't like the idea of losing a LAN port, even if the logon problems are solved by a firmware change.
Graham
grahamt
Rising Star

Ooh - spoke too soon about the BT IP profile. I've just checked and it's gone up to 65.33. BT beta speed test is showing 62.82 downstream and speedtest.net gives me 62.79. Upstream (speedtest.net) is 15.39 - about average recently - and ping is 19ms.
Possibly nothing to do with going back to te Netgear, but I'm going to stick with it at present.
Graham
AndyHamp
Grafter

Hi,
Two things ....
1 - Do we have any idea on the pricing for the 80/20 product yet ? I currently have Extra with Pro and don't really want to pay extra ...
2 - Is the trial still open to new users ?
Cheers ... Andy
v70ben
Grafter

Quote from: leng
I think you are misunderstanding how the router works.  Connections are made via the various ports and the router "knows" which port is downstream and which is up, and does the necessary firewalling/packet inspection etc.  One port will be designated the internet facing port by the firmware - on the netgear it is the left-most port looking from the front but it could equally be any of the others.  At the expense of more complex firmware it would be possible for the user to designate the outbound port but this would offer no real utility (unless one port went dead) and could easily lead to cabling errors.  In this case since the normal outbound connection is via an ADSL2 socket it has been necessary to repurpose one of the ethernet ports.  Unless the firmware mods were particularly inept there is no reason to believe that this in any way compromises the router security.

I have no idea of how this router works/is configured up.
The likes of a Cisco ASA you can certainly configure that.
As Technicolor don't recognise this config or advertise it on the datasheet...
I've no idea at what level the firmware mods were made, and I'm personally not happy to run with that config, it's not how the router was designed - least of all it requires the loss of a LAN port.
@Jelv - I'm aware it's doing the NAT, but "bodging" configs onto kit that isn't designed to do the job is sloppy IMHO <And yes, I'm aware it's been done for no doubt cost reasons>.
If I were supplied with the TG582 as standard, I'd be upgrading and buying a different router myself.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: AndyHamp
1 - Do we have any idea on the pricing for the 80/20 product yet ? I currently have Extra with Pro and don't really want to pay extra ...

I suspect we'll find that out on 30th May
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MacBadger

Just thought I would add after reading a few other posts regarding device connection. And zyxel routers.
Both with the Nether and Zyxel 4604 I have had NO issues with connection or maintaining it with any of the following devices:
2 MacBook with airport express (N)
Iphone
Android: HTC touch, HTC Wildfire, HTC One S
Wii
fagin
Grafter

Bit of an update on experiences having been connected to this trial since early March 2012 (over two months now).
BT standard modem and Netgear Router.
Several 100m's from cab.
IP Profile has dropped since initial install, but has been static now for several weeks.
Initial speeds were around 68Mb/16Mb and this has now stabilised to 65Mb/16Mb.
Occasional reboot of Modem is required as connection has slowed very occasionally - reboot sorts it.
Very happy with the service and my only gripe is the requirement for increased monthly bandwidth (currently on 120GB).
SpecialD
Rising Star

I'm a bit annoyed by that too, because for the same price as the "extra fibre" you can get BT's Infinity that has superiority in the fact that it has:
unlimited download
40/10 profile (not 40/2)
free access to all BT openzone hotspots
no traffic management (except peak time p2p I think) - so no need to pay extra £5 on top like we do.
Bazza
Grafter

@Spesh I know. Since signing up for PlusNet FTTC 3 of my friends have signed up for BT and they are over the moon with their package compared to mine. As much as I like and want to support PlusNet I fear I'm out of here as soon as I can. I like the product, just not the terms per se.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Someone may ask "why did you sign up with plusnet then?" The answer was simply that I was already on plusnet ADSL getting 1.5Mbps and in a contract that lasted until June. So in March when FTTC was available I had the choice of getting fibre with plusnet and entering an 18month contract OR waiting until June to get BT ...  I couldn't wait.
It's not horrendous though, as I expense the cost of my broadband anyway, I just like to get the most for the money spent!!