Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

I'm getting different results on different speed testers and even more curiously wildly different results using speedtest.net depending on server. The Leeds server, which offers the best ping for me of 23ms, consistently shows results around 38-42mbps. However if I manually select another server in that region, for instance Manchester or Lancaster, then I get download speeds of ~57mpbs.
My BT results are very variable going from anything between 11mbps to 55mbps. The latest of which is this:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-59.64 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 59.64 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.21Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

My latest speedtest.net results for my best ping servers Leeds are:

And here are results from my self selected server (Lancaster):

mybroadbandspeed.co.uk latest results are:
Today 16:29 36115 kbps (4.51MB/s) 16113 kbps (2.01MB/s)
Today 16:29 7456 kbps (932kB/s) 15486 kbps (1.94MB/s)
Today 16:16 35736 kbps (4.47MB/s) 16121 kbps (2.02MB/s)
So really I haven't really got a clue what speed I'm actually getting as the info is so contradictory. Is there anyway that I can determine this any better.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
How about a 40/20 service priced mid way between? I'd find that far more useful (if fibre was available in the first place).
No such product planned by BT Wholesale AFAIK.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: walker23
Quote from: WWWombat
where people decide it is worth paying extra over the 40/10 service.

Or, strictly speaking, over the 40/2 service (at present).
Well yes, but all indications are that 40/10 will be available shortly, quite possibly before the full launch of 80/20 and that is likely to be priced at £2pm more than 40/2, suggesting also that 80/20 will be rather more than this, probably at least £5.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: WWWombat
Quote from: KevinG
Annoying, but liveable with if I weren't having another 20Mbps docked off for no apparent reason!

I agree with that - but I do wonder where that "I can live with that" threshold is, where people decide it is worth paying extra over the 40/10 service.
Hopefully Dave or Adam is on the case of the 20Mbps - that seems a legitimate issue for BT to sort out.

Exactly - if I can get sustained speeds of at least 60M down then it's probably worth my paying for 80/20, if I'm struggling to get much over 40 then 40/10 is likely to be a more attractive option.
Is this the relevant bit? Couldn't see how to get exactly the parameters you quoted.
INP:            3.00            0.00
PER:            1.45            4.27
delay:          8.00            0.00
OR:             132.35          59.93

That gives the first two bits, which are the "input" into interleaving. The INP value tells the DSLAM that it needs to protect against 3ms noise bursts, while the "delay" value (I think) says that interleaving can add 8ms of delay onto the latency.
The other two parameters "R" and "N" come from a block earlier in the output, labelled "VDSL2 framing". They'll give us an idea of just how much overhead is being stolen for FEC - but I'd expect it is a fair amount.

Right, so I think we have:
Inp=3 down, 0 up
Delay=8 down, 0 up (is this why my ping times are higher than they were at first?)
R=16 down, 16 up
N=80 down, 240 up
Does that make sense? I notice that my sync speed has edged back up to 68125 today, so is there some hope it might get back to where it was (about 75000) without intervention? I can't do a decent speed test at the moment because I am a crusty old XP laptop, and I do mean old - over 10 years!
Thanks for all your help.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: andun84
My latest speedtest.net results for my best ping servers Leeds are:

And here are results from my self selected server (Lancaster):

Ah, that's interesting. As I have posted, my speeds have taken a real dive on speedtest.net from the 70M I was getting at first and even based on my new reduced IP profile I should be getting 60M+ but have been stuck in the 40s. So I tried selecting "Your preferred server" rather than "Recommended server", which is what I have always used before and, although the ping time went up into the 40s, the download speed was above 60M again. For info, my "Recommended server" is Trance FM, London and my "Preferred server" is Namesco, London (is this something I have set?). So I've no idea what's going on either!
FWIW mybroadbandspeed.co.uk gave hopelessly varying results.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Quote from: garywood84
Great, thanks, Dave.  Does everyone who applies get selected, or are you choosing particular people?

At the moment anyone that applies that's meet the elibability criteria (be on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre and can get the 80/20 speed) will get selected. We're not restricting signups although we we do have a finite number of routers so they may run out at some point.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Russellhouseman

Hi Dave
whats the lead time on the sign ups i signed Thursday but havent had anything back.
Cheers
Russell
tangey
Grafter

Quote from: dave
At the moment anyone that applies that's meet the elibability criteria (be on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre and can get the 80/20 speed) will get selected. We're not restricting signups although we we do have a finite number of routers so they may run out at some point.

I assume that as you didn't specify any exhanges in the opening message, ANYONE that gets FTTC at the moment, on the required packages, is eligible for the trial, i.e. all exchanges are capable ?
(I opened a trial ticket on friday, so here's hoping)
Regards
Ian
Bazza
Grafter

Tried multiple tests this morning and getting varied results. I tried the default server then Leeds which is the nearest to me. Here are the results:
London

Leeds
paulpicks21
Grafter

Looking good Bazza, you happy with the results?
Bazza
Grafter

Yes the rates are now appearing consistent and downloads are blisteringly fast. My Netgear DGND3700 needs to go back but the results so far are very promising.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: Russellhouseman

whats the lead time on the sign ups i signed Thursday but havent had anything back.

There's a couple left from Wednesday to go and then we'll crack on with Thursday's.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: tangey
I assume that as you didn't specify any exhanges in the opening message, ANYONE that gets FTTC at the moment, on the required packages, is eligible for the trial, i.e. all exchanges are capable ?

Yeah, all FTTC exchanges and cabs are now enabled for 80/20, although not every line will be able to get 80/20 because the speed estimate for the line won't be high enough.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
JEB
Grafter

@dave
I trust you had a good weekend.
Did anything come from your telephone call with BT regarding the 40/10 cap that me and someone else is experiencing?

James
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
Quote from: Russellhouseman

There's a couple left from Wednesday to go and then we'll crack on with Thursday's.

Thanks, Dave.  Are all of Thursday's likely to get processed today?