cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

aca02djr
Dabbler

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

Not sure if this is anything to do with the trial but just tried to get on forums.thinkbroadband.com and got presented with a BT wholesale message (see attached)
Anyone else seeing this?
NRV618
Grafter

Hi evereyone   Shocked
Just recently (2 days ago) joined the trials but have seen little improvement in my Download speeds (was about 36.6Mbit now slightly overe 38Mbit),  however my Upload speed has jumped from like 1.6Mbit to between 9.50Mbit and 10.50 Mbit, but this is no where near the upload speeds (or the download speeds for that matter) that some of you guys are getting.
Waiting for a new router to trial, hoping this will make the difference.  Cool

paulpicks21
Grafter

Not wanting to sound gloomy, but I am starting to get the feeling (based on a few users speeds not being better than before) that if you were not seeing the full 37.5 Meg when you were on 40meg service then there is no point going on the 80meg trial.
If the line cannot max out the 40meg connection then switching to the 80meg trial won't make any difference as it just allows the line to run at the max it can cope with.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Of course all those that got the full 37.5meg had no idea how fast their line could go and we are finding out now.

Paul.
Bazza
Grafter

My connection just dropped. I noticed the FTTC modem had the DSL light flashing. Powered it down and up again and is well again. First time that has happened to me.
NRV618
Grafter

paulpicks21
Cry  Lets hope that is not the case, because I wont have much to look forward to then..  I also noticed that they changed my profile from 37 to 20 and am just thinking (hoping really) if there might be something else that is still to be done for the 80Mbit/20Mbit spectrum to be in place..?
Latest test result... NOT much difference
mwerle
Grafter

Just got back from a week away; was upgraded on Wednesday I think.  Just standard package, not Pro.
Ran a couple of tests:
SpeedTest.net
3/2/2012 7:34 PM GMT 81.174.236.49 51.27 Mb/s 12.47 Mb/s 15 ms London ~ 50 m
3/2/2012 7:36 PM GMT 81.174.236.49 74.21 Mb/s 6.76 Mb/s 32 ms Newbury ~ 50
BT Test:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.42 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.42 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.72Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Connection details as reported by Modem (Vigor 2750Vn)
Basic Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual Data Rate 19999 79984 Kb/s
SNR 149 103 0.1dB

So looks like my connection is pretty much perfect; just need to wait till after midnight to perform some proper tests.  Very happy with the preliminary results so far.  Real shame this model Router  doesn't report the modem data via SNMP or I'd have a complete log pre/post upgrade.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Quote from: NRV618
paulpicks21
Cry  Lets hope that is not the case, because I wont have much to look forward to then..  I also noticed that they changed my profile from 37 to 20 and am just thinking (hoping really) if there might be something else that is still to be done for the 80Mbit/20Mbit spectrum to be in place..?
Latest test result... NOT much difference

I hope it's not the case too, I just based what I said on what speeds a few members had been getting.
I might be totally wrong, and I really hope you prove me wrong with some faster speeds soon.
Its not the best of time to be running tests, my connection has been awful in the evening the last few nights. I get over 70 all day but in the evening it can be as low as 18meg. I would suggest you run a speed test on http://speedtester.bt.com/  as it will give you the IP profile for your line. And then I would either run a test on speedtest.net after midnight or early tomorrow morning to get the best results.

edited to add - Your ping is very high for fibre, has it always been this high? Perhaps try a different server on speedtest.net
Paul.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: garywood84
My connection seems to be slowing down!  It was about 75/18 when it was first activated on Wednesday, but now I'm only getting about 68/17.  My IP profie on the BT speedtester is 69 (if it can be believed - it's wildly off on the speed test itself).  I've also noticed that my pings on speedtest.net have doubled, so I guess DLM has turned some interleaving on (it's so frustrating that you can't see the line stats from the modem to actually know for sure what's going on!).  Assuming this is the case, am I stuck with it forever now, or will it turn it off again if line conditions improve?  Or, could I request it be set to "Off", once I'm out of the training phrase?

I have had a similar experience (only worse!), initially I had an IP profile of 72.89 and was getting download speeds of just over 70M and ping times below 10ms, now nearly 10M has been lobbed off that and my IP profile is 63.31 and my best download speeds are just over 61M with pings in the 20s. My current sync speed is 65411, initially it must have been around 75,000 but I hadn't unlocked the modem then (this is very easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes). Both times the modem has been restarted it has synced at a lower speed, although it did creep up a bit once of its own accord. I hesitate to do it again in case it goes any lower.
The profile reported by the BT speed tester will be correct but the actual results vary wildly. I have just got a result of 60M from it but it sometimes gives as low as 8M. I find speedtest.net the most reliable, but I have to be careful which server I use as some seem incapable of reporting results over about 50M.
Anyway, I'll post some more on Monday hopefully and maybe the Daves, Adams, and WWWombats of the world will have something to say!
NRV618
Grafter

Will try another speed test after midnight and see if there is any improvement (although I seriously doubt it)
lower ping and JUST managed to get 40.25Mbits

aca02djr
Dabbler

Quote from: garywood84
My connection seems to be slowing down!  It was about 75/18 when it was first activated on Wednesday, but now I'm only getting about 68/17.

I seem to be experiencing very similar issues - IP profile has dropped from 73 to 65 and pings gone up from 14ms to 30ms...
zone8
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Yeah, I've just placed about 8 orders and the estimates varied from mid 50s to mid 60Mbps on most of them. The highest I've seen so far is one that got the full 80/20 on the estimate (and achieved that too when the order completed).

I remember when the engineer was installing the plusnet trial for 40 / 10 here, he said we are so close to the box and the line is insanely good he believed we could make it over 100mbit without any problems. Remember chatting to the openreach guys up on the poles outside testing with laptops Smiley Wonder when the trial for 100mbit comes out on FTTC hehe
Nuggy

Hello again,
could a member of the Plusnet staff please give me an idea of whats going on? Smiley
I started out with an awesome speed  of 73 down and 16 up. Now im getting slower speeds the last couple of days than when I was on the 40mbit service? Also seem to have periods of the internet not working at all... Not good Smiley

Ping is still awesome tho.
tedsloan
Dabbler

I joined the FTTC 80/20 Trial three days ago.
Results - using Speedtest.net I was getting a steady 36Mb/s down and 7.5Mb/s Upload on the 40/10 FTTC package. This equates to 90% efficiency on d/l. A very solid result.
On the 80/20 FTTC Trial Download speed is 45Mb/s with 12.5Mb/s upload. The BT Speed  Test gives me 46.5 Mbps on download. Efficiency of 56%
My equipment is a Thomson TG585v7 Modem with an Openreach Router. I am 700 metres by road from the green cabinet. Using Windows 7 with wired Internet connection. Modem and router have been rebooted two or three times.
Bearing in mind the excellent results on the 40/10 FTTC I would have thought performance should have been better on the new Trial speeds.
mwerle
Grafter

Slightly better results just now:

BT:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.42 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.42 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.32Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Speedtest.net (best server):
3/3/2012 6:48 AM GMT 81.174.236.49 74.26 Mb/s 13.75 Mb/s 35 ms Maidstone ~ 100 mi

Was hoping the upstream would be closer to 20, but pretty happy with the downstream.  Will re-test with the OpenReach modem once I get the test router from PN.
Bazza
Grafter

After my dropped connection yesterday it appears to be solid once again: