cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP coming to my area

footloose
Dabbler

Re: FTTP coming to my area

Very interesting, I'll have a good read of that thanks. Although mine was done in 1 visit, I don't know whether the engineer plugged in a cable at the distribution point or did a join there. He definitely did a join at my house though, to connect the grey box cable to the internal cable that goes to the ONT. Still learning about FTTP, since I left BT before it was developed so most of what I know is related to the xDSL and leased line side of things.
strongylad28
Rising Star

I think this is potentially what I will have as they basically asked today where id like the router to be and left enough slack to get there. There's loads outside!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@strongylad28

The DSL Checker will (eventually!!) tell you which style is involved but basically it's any new network. Only previous (old) installs use the two stage approach.

@footloose 

As with anything it's time and money which drove the new style of install. Assuming no duct or overhead wire problems then only one visit is required plus one "join" which all saves time (and therefore money!!!).

I know from my install that the pre-connected cables come in 33m, 65m and 105m lengths (there may be longer ones!!!). My neighbours house needed all of 5m while due to the location I choose it was about 15m. The engineer simply cut the cable length to suit once it was inside. They also "strip" the external protective cover off once its inside.

Brian

FxAxF
Rising Star

So it looks like I had a similar issue. My address on OR, PlusNet was incorrect and my address on Royal Mail/BT was correct! This has led to a situation where OR think I can't have FTTP even though they were the ones up my poles (fnar fnar) just before Christmas!

Thanks to @Anonymous for reviewing my ticket and taking it further. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the coming weeks.

strongylad28
Rising Star

Another update for those who care Cheesy

Still no closer to ordering fibre!! As mentioned a couple of OR guys came and pulled the fibre through to my front door but the checker is still showing as unavailable.

I have been in talks with OR at their CEOs office but things still don't seem to be progressing. They said something along the lines of "sometimes we run out of funding in the middle of a build" but when I told them that the fibre was at my front door, this confused them. 

Do you think Plusnet could have any sway in getting this live as I know the service is here. I wish I could plug something in to see if the data is actually flowing to my front door. Its driving me insane that I see it every morning when I leave the house and yet I cant use it!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for the update.

Do you think Plusnet could have any sway in getting this live as I know the service is here.

Unfortunately not. It's a waiting game I'm afraid.

Apologies if I've missed an update here but did you fill out the formwize to raise a query with Openreach?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strongylad28
Rising Star

@Gandalf

I have done that a couple of times and always got a generic response. It is actually sat with the CEO of openreach's office to try and get this sorted!

I was hoping they would have given me an update this week but unfortunately I havent heard anything. I have the phone number of a lady called Julie from there so I think I am going to give her a call tomorrow to chase it. 

Absolute nightmare that I can physically touch the FTTP outside my house but cannot order! almost 7 months now Sad

footloose
Dabbler

It sounds like you've already escalated this case to the top, escalations like this are the only time when Openreach will even consider deviating from their usual scripted procedures to get a problem solved. I used to deal with a lot of ADSL escalations when I worked there, if it's reached the Chairman or CEO's office then that tends to get fingers pulled out! That would also explain why you've had engineers visit you already, normally that would never happen and you'd just be told to wait. Only thing that could help further is if you had a chat with a news site like theregister or ispreview to do a short story on your case, something like: "Fibre is at at my front door but Openreach still won't let me order!" heh. I don't know if it's possible with FTTP, but OFCOM complaints are another thing which used to get a lot of fingers pulled out very quickly. Hopefully this has given you an idea or two...
strongylad28
Rising Star

Yeah I have put some effort into this, despite that I am still getting nowhere. I spoke to OFCOM today and they advised that Plusnet can make a complaint to OpenReach on my behalf and have me a reference number to back this up. 

A complaint was raised through OFCOM but they said they do not deal with individual complaints and that my ISP needs to raise it on my behalf. @Gandalf @Anonymous do you think this is something you could do for me? As mentioned above I have been given a OFCOM reference and they sent me back to you guys.

Thanks 

Mike 

footloose
Dabbler

You'd be asking a lot of Plusnet to go down the OFCOM route for you, can they do it in theory yes it's a question of do they think it worthwhile and have they got the time... I wouldn't even have suggested this if you didn't have those engineers visit, something must have happened to get them sent out to do that work and now you just need it completing as you have been promised. It's Openreach's fault for giving you hope like that! Good luck m8.

strongylad28
Rising Star

I'm not asking them to speak to OFCOM sorry, it was more that they recommended that Plusnet speak to Openreach for me. OFCOM said that they can only give advice and not actually contact Openreach, it has to be my ISP

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mike.

do you think this is something you could do for me?

it was more that they recommended that Plusnet speak to Openreach for me.

Unfortunately the only avenue we have for fibre availability queries is to fill out a formwize. From experience, unless fibre is physically provided and there is a records problem which stops us from placing an order, they generally can't help.

Ultimately, in these cases we're advised to check the Openreach fibre availability website.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strongylad28
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply @Gandalf

The most frustrating thing is the fibre is actually at my front door so I'm 100% positive the service is here. All my neighbours have it and I can physically touch the cable that is plugged into the router, yet the checker says no Sad
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. I'll raise our version of the formwize next week and we'll see what they come back with.

To set expectations we'd normally receive a response within 7 working days, but can take up to a month on occasion.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strongylad28
Rising Star

That would be brilliant. Thank you mate! @Gandalf

In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get an engineer to my house to come and see the fibre and report back and get them to realise they are wrong