Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

AndyH
Grafter

Re: capacity issues - continued

Quote from: Anotherone
Have you looked on TBB?

On TBB, the only users I could find were people saying that other people had moved to BT and their problems had gone away - but no mention of which users.
Quote from: jafreer
I happened to believe them. I would be grateful to see your speed graph evidence that states otherwise.

My speed graph? I haven't moved to BT...
Which users are you referring to though? Where have you seen people posting they've moved and their problems have gone away. A link would be useful.
11110_110  is the only user on here I have seen on here that's moved from Plusnet to BT and posted his speed checks/Smaknows data.
sirhc
Dabbler

Rebooted everything the other day and am now on pcl-bng01.
irb.13.central13.pcl-bng01.plus.net
lo0.13.central13.pcl-bng01.plus.net

Speed's a bit better compared to previous tests, so the gateway hop did work. I've noticed since joining PN the TBBx1 download vs. the TBBx6 download speed has varied, originally there wasn't such a large disparity between the two, yet as time has gone on, the gap has appeared. Is this to do with PN's traffic management?
Also have got a TBB ping chart up and running, compared to some of the others on here, I have some really strange spikes, is there anything that can explain these???
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AndyH
My speed graph? I haven't moved to BT...

Perhaps I should have said your evidence. When a poster states that the peak time issue is gone on BT, I simply believe them. I don't require any further evidence, I just take their word for it. It is you that is asking for further evidence. So my point was let see any evidence you have that says otherwise. Until you produce that, I have no reason to disbelieve someone who states their peak time issue is gone.
AndyH
Grafter

Perhaps I am not being clear, but all I have read is a small number of people (posting the same thing on several forums) saying other people have moved to BT and their problems have gone away.
All I would like to know is which users they are referring to and where have they read this? If it's on TBB and these are the users that have actually migrated, then it should be easy to post the links to their posts.
And evidence? Have a look at what 11110_110 posted here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.msg1261459.html#msg1261459
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As I said already, if people are stating the issue went away. I believe them. I don't need any more convincing or evidence. Most users on the forum take what people write at face value. If you have concerns that the information is incorrect, I would say the onus is on you to prove it.
AndyH
Grafter

The people that are stating this have not migrated to BT. This is the problem - it's not first hand information.
I have given you the evidence which is clear to see. 11110_110 is one of the helpful/proactive users on here with posting data.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Let's face it, if people gave evidence under oath in a court that since moving away their peak time speed issues had disappeared you still wouldn't believe them!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mlmclaren
Grafter

To a point, AndyH does have a point... though I only know of about 2 people who moved from Plusnet to BT I've seen better result comparisons though I cannot off hand give you any links though I will have a look later on and see if I can track them down...
However, most people have moved to LLU providers such as Sky, Zen or TalkTalk Resellers... many people who complained on here before of issues and left seemed to have also left the forum and not bothered to share the experience,  which is a bit inconsiderate to say the least.
I've spent a few days last week comparing my neighbours BT Infinity 2 to my Fibre Extra... and I did see "one" similarity between then two connections, and that was that it seemed something was busy at Faraday during peak times, but the BT connection only showed a small amount of packet loss on BQM's and speed was unaffected, meanwhile the Plusnet connection showed a considerable amount more packet loss and the single thread speed drop to go with it.
Next day the same thing happened, so I hop gateway on Plusnet connection and found the packet loss had disappeared and speed improved but still losing a 5-15meg on single thread, I then rebooted neighbours HH5, packet loss eased a little afterwards but still there.
So in my eyes, Plusnet is causing most the issues for me with BTw having little affect in "some" circumstances, also worth noting that to ping the BT connection I had to DMZ an idle wireless device to respond to pings so this may have made results a bit biased (in favour of Plusnet)
But all said above is regardless of blame anyway, as its Plusnet who are responsible... so why it matters if Jack, Bill & Bob moved to BT and the issues went away or remained is regardless... what does matter here is that theres an issue, an issue that cripples the most basic of Internet Tasks (mainly because it prioritising the more demanding of tasks) but then seemingly destroying itself trying to do that.
When streaming a 128kbps radio stream, watching an SD stream, Browsing/Chatting Facebook and Replying to emails (all using a small amount of bandwidth ) is impossible on a 60Mbps "fibre" based service, I have to say WTH!
The tasks listed above can not be done together at peak time... streaming Now TV at 2500Kbps goes fine and then in the Office I start a BBC Radio stream at 128Kbps and the Now TV stream becomes choppy and then leads to both becoming very intermittent and eventually one will give up, meanwhile browsing lag becomes very noticeable and Facebook can be a prick to say the least, specially when chatting with friends.
I would think the browsing and Facebook issue would fix itself once streaming had been ceased but no... it doesn't!
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: The
many people who complained on here before of issues and left seemed to have also left the forum and not bothered to share the experience,  which is a bit inconsiderate to say the least.

Plusnet are to blame for that one. Many of these people will have left out of pure frustration with Plusnet's lack of action in resolving this issue. Whilst it would be nice for them to come back to the forum to report any changes, I don't find it at all inconsiderate. What I do find inconsiderate is Plusnet sitting on this issue for such a long time with no progress.
chrcoluk
Grafter

This is the only company I have seen publicly claim that revealing details of a fault is commercially sensitive.
Even virgin media will confirm faults, diss out a fault id and give an estimated fix date.
Sky when they had exchanges that needed upgrading, gave out a list of affected exchanges and information of the nature of the faults.
If i told my own customers the fault affecting them is commercially sensitive they would laugh and cancel my contract.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Perhaps I am not being clear, but all I have read is a small number of people (posting the same thing on several forums) saying other people have moved to BT and their problems have gone away.
All I would like to know is which users they are referring to and where have they read this? If it's on TBB and these are the users that have actually migrated, then it should be easy to post the links to their posts.
And evidence? Have a look at what 11110_110 posted here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.msg1261459.html#msg1261459

RobertoS on tbb moved to aaisp, his probems went away, AAISP use the same wholesale shared platform as plusnet.
Tommy45 migrated to zen and he also said his issues went away, he is on a zen BT wholesale exchange.
Also I personally know people who migrated from plusnet business to BT business, peak time issues went away. BT retail dont use the same wholesale platform as plusnet tho, they use a different product.
That post you linked to does not show the same symptons, looks like he is rwin limited, as we got no evidence there of peak time vs off peak and if hopping resolves any problems.
even ignition is migrating away, which says a lot as he typically is quite forgiving of problems.
I am one of those who moved to LLU, I was one of the first to migrate and didnt want to chance another BTw provider, my decision was also swayed by the fact sky have a major POP in my city, which meant direct routing to london.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Glad to see that g1000 has had the peak time congestion issues disappear since moving to BT. Nice of him/her to provide such nice evidence in the graphs too.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.msg1255185.html#msg1255185
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.msg1256644.html#msg1256644
I have to say, it is looking a lot like this is a Plusnet issue.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
RobertoS on tbb moved to aaisp, his probems went away, AAISP use the same wholesale shared platform as plusnet.

This isn't what he said at all:
I think I can now say with confidence that with the common sync there is no discernable difference between the two ISPs on the x6 test and the overall speeds. Similarly with the BTW test.
The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones.

Tommy45 migrated to zen and he also said his issues went away, he is on a zen BT wholesale exchange.

When he was asked repeated times whether he was with Zen, he refused to confirm. Are you 100% sure about this?
That post you linked to does not show the same symptons, looks like he is rwin limited, as we got no evidence there of peak time vs off peak and if hopping resolves any problems..

I think 11110_110 knows enough to determine whether it's an RWIN issue. At the end of the day, he's the only one I've seen that's moved to BT from Plusnet and posted speed test results.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones

Well spotted. More evidence pointing to Plusnet being the issue.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Oh yeah.. I forgot about Tommy and Roberto!
an yes Tommy is on Zen!
I think AndyH is ignoring (if even looking) any speed test results unless they are right in front of his face.... seems a bit lazy considering he's trying to dismiss our complaints... Crazy