cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP

tenplates12

Wrong IP

Just recently renewed my fibre broadband with plusnet but my ip changed to BT and speed dropped from 36.7 ish to 35 ish?

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Wrong IP

You do know that Plus Net is part of the BT Group? PN have recently expanded their network, in doing so they have used IP ranges from other parts of the BT Group - organisations reporting ownership can take some time to catch up.

As for speeds, do you mean sync speed or speed test?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@tenplates12 wrote:

Just recently renewed my fibre broadband with plusnet but my ip changed to BT and speed dropped from 36.7 ish to 35 ish?

What real world affect would a drop of 1.7 ish have?

We really need to know...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

If you think about it there's no reason for the dynamic IP address you currently use not to be 'owned' by BT. Plusnet are part of BT plc, not to be confused with BTRetail.

Probably coincidentally the gateway to which you are connected has probably changed, hence the change in speed. You can see which you are connected to here: http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

These tend to be quite 'sticky' these days but if you want to try connecting to a different gateway then you can try by leaving your broadband disconnected for a few hours.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

As others have advised there are some IP's that we've acquired from BT that still show as being owned by them on some databases.

This won't cause you any issues and your connection should work the same. As others have advised a drop of 1.2mbps isn't huge and our tests show your router is syncing at the highest level for your product. Was there anything else running in the background? It'd be worthwhile trying a wired connection also to see if that has the same issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team