cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping 4+ times per day

tonywalker412

Wifi dropping 4+ times per day

Hi,

I switched from BT to Plusnet a week ago, and the wifi is dropping out at least 4 times per day. With BT I would say it happened once every other day. 

Not very helpful when working from home.

When it happens the box flashes orange and within about 3-5 minutes it comes back to being blue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Wifi dropping 4+ times per day

@tonywalker412  Welcome to the forum.

Which light is flashing orange? Is it the big main light that's normally blue and it's not only WiFi but the DSL line that's dropping so not as the title of your post suggests? This will bring down the WiFi but is a totally different problem to just WiFi dropping

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tonywalker412

Fair question (I'm not very techy)..it's the big light that is normally blue, under the Plus net logo.

So it's the actual DSL down, not the wifi signal.

Thanks

Baldrick1

@tonywalker412 

Yes. If it was previously working fine it sounds like it's extermal to your property but if you've just come from BT do you still have your BT Hub? If so don't send it back as you can use it with a few setting changes with Plusnet. The Plusnet Hub One is really a BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware. If it's a Smarthub 6 then these are far bettwe devices and I would suggest that you try that.

The full setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... but in your case all that you need to do is leave the DSL lead unplugged and start at step 3. Do not plug the DSL cable in until it says that it is trying to connect as per the instructions.

Moderator and Customer

robotroberto1

Same problem here and I've been a plusnet customer for over 2 years. As you say, not helpful to working at home!!!!

tonywalker412

Thanks..old BT hub say it is a BT Smart Hub - TypeA.

Will look at those instructions.

Cheers

Baldrick1

@tonywalker412 

Many of us use these, they have far better WiFi performance than the Hub One. Do come back if you have problems setting it up.

This of course might not solve your connection problem but I would still use it in the longer term.

Moderator and Customer