cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no sticky posting from Plusnet regarding everyones loss of speed?

Tricko

Why is there no sticky posting from Plusnet regarding everyones loss of speed?

So, I came here as like plenty of other people it seems I've noticed I've dropped a good chunk of speed very recently (54 down to 32), and even more over the last 9 months when originally I was getting 65-70 initially for the first few months after joining.
When I raised the drop from 65 to 54 as a fault, I was told theres no fault, its not a drop, live with it, which I begrudgingly did till now.
It's been over 3 full business days since I went through the fault submission form, and theres been no update since the initial "passing on to fault finding team" note.
Theres plenty of talk in various speed complaints here about different potential problems like crosstalk and G.INP and all sorts of other things, and everyone seems to have different opinions and suggestions of runes/magic/replacement modems etc to try and solve it.
Surely there should be a sticky FAQ posting from Plusnet commenting on these issues, even if its just to say its out of their hands and if Openreach/BT won't do anything tough luck.
Reading through the other postings in here so far its starting to look like they just can't provide the full speed of Extra Unlimited products, be it BT or Plusnets fault. If they are limiting the speeds to the 40/20 range then surely they should also be automatically dropping the price down to match as well.
7 REPLIES 7
jmcgough
Grafter

Re: Why is there no sticky posting from Plusnet regarding everyones loss of speed?

I don't know if its a case of staffing levels or just ineptness, but we seem to be going round the houses to get issues resolved.  In my case I am connected to an Exchange in Manchester, which suffering with some kind of problem on the "BRAS".  Then there are apparently smaller problems which are compounding other issues as well.
If I don't have it sorted personally by mid May then I will be off to Zen, more expensive but at least their service levels are higher.  What I find stupid is why they aren't offering refunds giving the poor service level......that would be too difficult wouldn't it?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Why is there no sticky posting from Plusnet regarding everyones loss of speed?

It has to be said that this type of forum is a self selecting group of people with problems or an interest in problems. 99.9% of PN customers have no perceived problems at all and are quite satisfied. PN are certainly not going to codify the problems that might exist and I for one would not expect them to. I give them credit for sponsoring this forum and allowing uncensored open discussion  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm one of those happy people Peter. When I changed to fibre 2.5 years ago I was getting 41/11 & now it's a solid 45/13 so I'm more than happy. I'm one of the "silent majority".  Smiley
tman247
Grafter

Well I'm one of those who as also suffered a noticeable speed drop in the last few months -76 down to 54. That's a 25% drop in speed, which I'm not happy with. I was also just told it's probably due to loading in the Exchange, but that's not an answer I'm afraid. If Exchange's are getting too heavily loaded with the move to FTTC, then BT/PN should do something about it, not just fob off customers with a 'live with it' attitude. I'm paying for the top tier fibre connection, and with the amount of streaming that now goes on in the household I need every bit of bandwidth I should be entitled to. I know my line is capable of 76Mb - it was like that from day one, so why the drop now?
The reason 99.9% of PN customers are probably 'happy' is that they either don't notice the speed drops or don't know the difference, so don't say anything. I suspect the problems are far wider reaching. How are BT going to push the next level of FTTC speeds (or even Gb fibre) when they can't even sustain the basic one.
NedLudd
Grafter

Have a look at this thread. It may help you understand the situation.
Post #11 has detailed explanation!
Geoff,
York.
Tricko

Quote from: PeterLoftus
It has to be said that this type of forum is a self selecting group of people with problems or an interest in problems. 99.9% of PN customers have no perceived problems at all and are quite satisfied. PN are certainly not going to codify the problems that might exist and I for one would not expect them to. I give them credit for sponsoring this forum and allowing uncensored open discussion  Smiley

Well, given this is a support forum specially for problems and help, I don't think making clear known issues would be that much of a problem Smiley The happy majority aren't that likely to be coming here unless they happen to be the knowledgeable part of the community that are doing their best to help others out with these issues right now.
I work for a company that has a pretty active product support forum for its products, and when ever theres a major issue or service outage, its always acknowledged by a posting to make it clear that its a known problem, and at the very least that people are aware of it and looking into it.
I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation these days. Keeping it quiet isn't going to do anything to avoid upsetting the people that already have issues, and generally I find being upfront and honest about problems buys my patience in waiting to get it resolved if I know the details.
The cynic in me says perhaps if this really is related to a botched rollout of G.INP or other cabinet/modem updates, then Plusnet aren't going to make that clear with BT being the owner 😞
alext05
Grafter

I think, it might also be fair to say that there are huge numbers of users that have ECI modems on Huawei cabinets that are not aware of their speed drop and latency increase (for whatever the reason), and therefore not complaining. Had they known about it, it's anyone's guess what they would be saying on these forums, but I doubt they would be praising.