cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web pages/services not loading via wifi connection

jeffcobb712

Web pages/services not loading via wifi connection

Hello All,

Sorry if similar posts have been created. After lots of browsing I'm unable to find anything that is the same as my issue.

I have had Plusnet Broadband in our home since we moved in back in June. Any wired connection is fine and doesn't experience any connection or service issues but I have always had trouble with wireless connections.

In our house we have a TV, two iPhones, two iPads and a couple of Kindles connected to the wifi. We have a Playstation connected via ethernet thats gets around 35 download all day. Since the start of our service we have noted that every now and again web pages or web services would sometimes stall or not load at all. Youtube videos wouldn't load, Netflix, Facebook and normal web browsing would occasionally cease to work. This was normally quite sporadic and a simple turning off of the devices wifi signal and turning it back on would normally solve it. Failing this a router restart might also help or a combination of the two. I put this down to just being a standard out the box router.

It might also be worth noting that I have a TP Link power line adaptor plugged into the router which is what the PS4 is plugged into. None of the devices are able to connect to the wifi connection emitted from the TP Link.

There was never a connection drop or loss of signal from any device. Wifi stayed connected and no device indicated that there was no internet connection which would happen if I disconnected the router from the telephone line but kept the devices connected to the network.

Over the last two weeks this issue has got worse and worse to the point where none of the devices are able to load these services over wifi. The only consistent service is on the wired Playstation via the TP Link. My usual tricks of restarting the router or disconnecting the wifi signal also doesn't work.

The issue is made worse as my partner is a primary school teacher and is heavily reliant on the internet connected at the moment. Unable to download, upload and zoom call is frustrating her immensely and causing her to tether through her mobile.

There is nothing of note on the router that indicated a problem. The router is plugged directly into the phone socket about 1 metre away from the router. There are no electrical devices nearby other than the TP Link plugged into the same power socket as the router. The router is located centrally to the my meagre two bed end of terrace house. There is an intermittent hissing noise coming from the router every 10 seconds or so that lasts about a second but this has always done this.

Any help to get this issue resolved would be much appreciated. With lockdown continuing into March and possibly beyond we cannot continue like this and my partner is moaning like a drain at me!

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Web pages/services not loading via wifi connection

D/load a free wifi analyser app; choose channels least /not used in your vicinity; input manually into router.
Ensure the SSID for your router's 2 bands have different names; does that help?
jeffcobb712

Thanks for the help but I'm not entirely sure what you mean and what steps to take.

Do I download the wifi analyser on my phone? If so I have downloaded Net Analyzer.

Is this supposed to tell me what channels are in use?

When you say input manually into router what exactly do you mean? Input what and where?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for your post @jeffcobb712 

I'm sorry for the issues with your wireless signal. A wireless analsyer will tell you which channels that other neighbouring wireless networks are on so you'll be able to change the channel your router's using to a least congested one.

The below steps should guide you through changing the wireless channels:

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab

5. From here you'll be able to change the wireless channel

6. Don't forget to click the Apply button when you're done

It may also be worth carrying out the below steps to make the 5GHz wireless network visible. By default this is merged into a single network name that your devices see, so your router will automatically connect your devices onto whichever frequency that it believes is best, whether that'd be the 5GHz or the regular 2.4GHz wireless.

By changing the name of this, you should be able to manually connect your devices on to the 5GHz wireless network which is generally faster and doesn't succumb to interference in the same way as the 2.4GHz network.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab

5. Click on the 5GHz Wireless tab

6. Select No next to Sync with 2.4GHz

7. Change the name of the Wireless SSID to something different

8. Click the Apply button and wait for the change to be applied

Let us know how you get on. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jeffcobb712

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have turned off the 'sync' of the two frequencies but still no luck. I am still having issues.

The devices connected wirelessly often just get stuck loading different things. These are TV's, iPhones and iPads mainly. 

It is getting very frustrating, I almost don't even use the internet anymore due to it not working.