cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre Extra and Plusnet router is not coping

davidmn89

Upgraded to Fibre Extra and Plusnet router is not coping

Having had nearly perfect uninterrupted internet connectivity and WiFi strength for two years with Plusnet Fibre, I have been rather dismayed to have had a terrible experience since upgrading to the Plusnet Fibre Extra around a month ago. I am now receiving the expected speeds of around 78-79mbps into our home, but sadly the Plusnet Hub One router doesn't seem to be coping with the increased speeds! Since upgrading the only way I can achieve my full speed is by plugging into the router via ethernet. Even when sat right next to the router, my WiFi speeds are only hitting around 30-40mbps, and when using my devices elsewhere in the house (as has been the case for many years) I am lucky if I hit 20...sometimes it only manages 1-3mbps! I have had lengthy phone chats with Plusnet support, and tried all of the suggestions including splitting the bands, changing the channels - and none of them have helped. It is so frustrating to have been upsold to the most expensive package, which clearly Plusnet's router cannot handle. In the meantime, I have ordered a BT Home Hub 6 off eBay to see if that works (thanks to advice on this forum) but surely Plusnet should have a better solution for me?! Anyone else experience the same issues after upgrading to faster internet?

3 REPLIES 3
RobJM
Grafter

Re: Upgraded to Fibre Extra and Plusnet router is not coping

I seem to be having the same issue.

When I had  fibre 40/10 I pretty much got the full speed wired , and around 35Mb via wifi.

Since getting extra this week, I get decent speeds wired, however on wifi 5G I'm only getting around 20Mb, and on 2.4G I'm getting around 40Mb?

Can't figure out why.

davidmn89

My theory (based on reading other comments on this forum) is that the Plusnet basic router just isn't able to handle the increased internet speeds. I followed the bandwagon and bought a BT Home Hub 6 off eBay and my speeds over WiFi have increased significantly. It must just be a better more powerful router!

RobJM
Grafter

I've just tried changing the channel for my 5G and that seems to have done the trick , speed nearly tripled to about 62Mb , but it's odd because I had no problems on 40/10 , so assumed the channels wouldn't be an issue, especially 5G.