Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Traffic Management

I have just had an interesting conversation with another ISP, who stated the PlusNet employ traffic management, which they confirmed when I asked them to repeat it.

I at first was dubious, but bearing in mind that I had a previous ticket with PlusNet where despite syncing at 22Mbs, my speed-tests (direct connection) dropped at 18:00 to 23:59 , every evening.

Despite being reassured that the VLAN was ok, the back-haul was sufficient the situation persisted.

Numerous BT speed tests were performed, but after a lengthy call with PlusNet, poof,  that day  the throughput went up to 20Mbs as if by magic.

The speed tests have  shown a reduction to 19Mbs over the last few weeks, sync speed 22Mbs, but not enough to warrant an engineer visit. I am informed there is no issue with the profile (though the BT test sometimes begs to differ)

This begs the question, has anyone else experienced what they would regard as traffic management?

PS please can I have a comprehensive GEA or whatever its called these days.

Thanks

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Traffic Management

Assuming you're running your speed tests over a wired connection to exclude Wi-Fi I had a similar problem a few years back. For me It turned out to be a bottleneck at my exchange. Took a few Openreach visits & a while to get it straightened out at Plusnet's end but never had the same issue after that..

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @dws1900, thanks for getting in touch. I can assure you that although we used to some time ago (traffic management as in streaming and gaming data taking priority over say browsing that is), there's currently no traffic management applied on your connections and the only way to get this applied if a customer required now would be to add the pro add-on.

There are a few things that can potentially at times cap the speed both on our and suppliers side given the set-up. If a customer has a static IP address then the throughput speeds could be subject to the workplace profile our side and is something we keep in mind when working on connections that have a static IP that are reporting speed issues. Alternatively, our supplier at times can incorrectly band speeds, for example a common banding we see is a provisioned 80Mbps connection being banded at 55Mbps. Again this is something we look out for when looking into speed issues.

Checking into your connection we are seeing 23.1Mbps download getting to the router with no signs of errors or issues shown on the graph below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 23.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1513.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From12:45to13:00
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-07-10T11:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 22.0 Mbps 23.1 Mbps 22.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 1.8 Mbps 2.0 Mbps 1.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 894.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-23T09:45:11Z 2019-07-23T10:00:11Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Is it that you're testing your speeds on a wired or wireless connection when doing so? Also, are there any other devices or applications at the time of testing the speeds that could be using some bandwidth and explain the missing speed?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@BD 

re

Is it that you're testing your speeds on a wired or wireless connection when doing so? Also, are there any other devices or applications at the time of testing the speeds that could be using some bandwidth and explain the missing speed?

As stated

my speed-tests (direct connection)

Re other devices, no.

Thanks for the GEA report, which is interesting as

1. Crosstalk appeared in Nov 2018 as OR added another 128 line capability on a cabinet that is too far away.

2.The street had a serious REIN in Sep 2018, I wonder if that has reappeared, I will talk to the owner of the property.