cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow line speed after BT repair

Mickrus

Slow line speed after BT repair

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone can help me on here. I have been suffering with slow line speeds for several weeks, but thought this was just a glitch, so left it in the hope it would resolve it self. It didn't.

I then reported the matter to plusnet and they done some testing and confirmed there was a fault with the line. They arranged for BT to attend and sort the fault, which they did. They swapped the wires around in a line extension, said that the old pair were likely damaged. They confirmed the noise on the phone line was now clear and done their own tests, and told me that the broadband was now running at 40+ meg again.

Since then I have done my own tests and still only get around 5meg. I have reported this again to plusnet but and still waiting for them to confirm what will happen next. Plusnet have told me that BT/Openreach need to rest something, and this is nothing to do with them. Does this sound correct, or are plusnet just fobbing me off as they are too busy?

In the meantime I have my kids on summer holiday moaning at me as when everyone is trying to access the internet, it all grinds to a halt.

Does any one have any ideas what the problem may be?is it something that needs to be reset, or is it likely still a fault in the line somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Mike

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Slow line speed after BT repair

Can you try either rebooting your router or disconnecting then reconnecting your connection within the router?

That should improve your speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mickrus

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for the advice, but this has not worked. It has made no difference at all.

In fact, when the BT chap was here, he in formed me that when sky had put in my extension a few years back, they had installed it externally with an internal cat5 data cable. He swapped the internal pair of wires and said that would sort the problem, but when the problem continued, I though I would go one step further and replace the internal cable with an external cat 5 data cable.

Sadly this also made no difference. In all, since the BT guy was here last week, I think I may have rest the router half a dozen times.

Any other idea So?

Mike

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can't see any drop on your connection for the last 2 days.

Are you sure you rebooted it?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mickrus

Hello Matthew,

Yes, positive. Friday evening I spent 1:30 hours removing the old extension and putting the new one in. I even moved everything to the main BT box, router and fibre box, and tried it from there. The best speed I get is about 5.5meg.

I will of course try rebooting the router again tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Mike

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The profile on our end didn't update till late Friday evening which is why you won't have seen any benefit then.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mickrus

Matthew,

Ive now had time to reboot again, and it is all sorted, speeds at 44meg.

Thank you, it's just a shame that the guys on the help chat line could not have got to the problem so quickly.

Thanks again.

Mike

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for getting back to us Mike, I'll take a look at who you spoke to on chat and get some feedback passed on.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.