Dabbler

Re: Slow Speeds in the Evenings on 40/10

Thanks @MauriceC !

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@veL

If you check other topics in this board, you may notice some activity on performance posts seeking info?  Cool_smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

veL
Dabbler

@MauriceC

Would moving VLAN work in my case? Seems to be working for some people on here with the same problem?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Hi @veL  An SVLAN swap may well be the right answer?  But first the Plusnet team will need to review your connection details via BT QA to decide whether it is appropriate.

@Gandalf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

@veL Can you run a speedtest at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection? Completing the further diagnostics at the end when the first test completes and if that first test is showing a slow speed.

This will log the result on the supplier system and assist us when contacting our suppliers QA team.

Let me know when you've done that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
veL
Dabbler

So weird, not sure if its because not many people are using the internet in my area or what. But the speeds are normal for the first time in 2 months...hope it stays like this!

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6947920419.png

Will check again tomorrow.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

I'm glad to hear your speed is back up.

If it drops again, don't forget to complete the further diagnostics and let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
veL
Dabbler

Tonight's speeds were normal too. I think its safe to say its been fixed. No idea what changed as I wasn't notified or anything. Maybe it was on BT's end?

Good luck to all the others that have this problem.

For anyone with the same problem, I would advise to let the forum team help you instead of the support by phone or by making a ticket yourself, they were next to useless for me and pretty much said the service I was getting was normal or its my fault and if I want an engineer out, they would most likely charge me etc etc. Just seemed reluctant to help me, whereas the forum team were much more welcoming and helpful.

Anyway, thanks forum team! You rock!

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I also have been on same probs with the help of @Gandalf we've come back with nff from QA BT, but @Gandalf has asked for svlan swap this evening. I will check tomorrow evening speeds and hopefully it will be same as yours. fingers crossed. 

And yes forum is the real support. I think loss off 24 hour and below average phone support and real fixes on forum is going to make PN a online only company. Mark my words!

JohnL1

I've had ongoing issues with slow speeds since joining Plusnet last year after a house move, but the *third* visit from a BT engineer had finally seemed to have fixed the problem to the extent I was getting a reasonably consistent speed of 9/10mbs (which for the ASDL only available was ok). 

However, since a couple of weeks ago the speeds have consistently been dropping down in the evenings below the MGALS of 3mb/s. There is a huge difference between 10 and 3 mb/s, especially when streaming anything.

Each BT visit to date, including the last two entering the property, had confirmed the issues were external each time. After reporting the latest issue at the start of January, I've had mixed messages in terms of whether there is high resistance problem or not, and slightly frustrated at being asked to go back and check whether it's the router, microfilter and so on. I'm not entirely sure why my equipment might only be causing problems between certain times, and then fine at others (but any pointers on that would be welcome). I've tried two different routers, which made no difference to the speed, different cables and microfilters. None of which I've had for more than six months. All the tests are through a wired connection into the test socket.

I can get 10mb/s at 6.00pm, which drops to 4-5mb/s by 7pm, then 2-3mb/s or lower by 8pm. By the time you get to mighnight, the speed is back up to 10mb/s.

Given other people seem to be having similar issues in the evenings, any thoughts would be appreciated!

veL
Dabbler

@JohnL1

Sounds like the exact same thing a bunch of us on here have been suffering from. Id make your own thread and the forum staff should help you. It most likely isnt anything you have done or what equipment you are using if its just in the evenings.

If I knew what fixed my problem, I would tell you. But like I said, I think it was to do with BT as plusnet werent really aware that my problem was fixed or that works were going on to fix it. On the day it was fixed, plusnet were still asking me if I wanted an engineer visit to investigate the problem etc.