cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get an IPAddress locating me in Northern Ireland?

TBSteve
Grafter

How can I get an IPAddress locating me in Northern Ireland?

Hi,

I live in Northern Ireland, and that means that we are allowed access to the domestic version of the RTE Player. (there is an international version with restricted access to some programs).

From looking at the RTE Player FAQ, the issue is likely their GeoLocating software identifying me as being in GB, as the IP address I have is locating me in England.

It seems most ISPs can offer N.I customers a N.I. located IP addresses - BT, Virgin Media etc.

The RTE FAQ specifically mentions PlusNet as one of the ISPs that can issue NI-specific IP addresses. 

I started an online chat with PlusNet support.

1st agent told me to perform a factory reset on my router to get a N.Ireland IP address, without them making any change to my account.

I have been with Plus Net for over 10 years, and (AFAIK) have never had a N.Ireland IP address on any router at any stage.

This is seemed bogus to me, and I questioned how this was possible, but the chat got terminated at that point.

The 2nd agent then told me that PlusNet can only offer a GB static IP, or a GB dynamic IP, but it's not possible to get an N.Ireland specific IP, static, or dynamic.

For both agents I directed them to a forum discussion in which the ever helpful @bobpullen indicates that it is possible:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/NI-specific-IP-address-for-RTE-Player/td-p/897868

So, in short

1 - can I get a N.Ireland IP

2 - if so how can I get it?

3 - if not, why not if BT can?

5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: How can I get an IPAddress locating me in Northern Ireland?

You'll need a static IP (one off charge of £5). Once that is sorted, I should be able to get in touch with somebody at RTE/their geo-location provider to do the necessary. It's unlikely to be immediate though, as they're likely to queue the change for when they next have a periodic update scheduled.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TBSteve
Grafter

Thanks for the reply @bobpullen.

I have added the StaticIP AddOn using the link you provided.

Following yesterdays chat, support started a ticket, and I added the Static IP I have been assigned there.

Ticket number 165337796.

If you provide the IP to the RTE Geo location provider, will they be able to supply a estimation of when I am likely to get access to the RTE Player?

Thanks,

Stephen

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Stephen,

I've reached out to RTE and their geo-location provider and will let you know how I get on...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quick update:

RTE's geolocation provider have updated the assignment for your IP address and will make it available in their routine release this weekend.

It's then down to RTE to pull the latest update, after which you should be good to go.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TBSteve
Grafter

Ok, Thanks Bob.

I'll reach out to RTE after the weekend.