Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request DLM Reset

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Re: Request DLM Reset

When I checked yesterday, the appointment was booked for this afternoon and it should still be. I'll be in the office from about 12:30 onwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mat, having spoken with the engineer a couple of times today (I believe you were there, at least when the engineer rang the first time I think) it looks like the expectations of your line we're seeing only goes up to the DP and in the final 40 metres or so of the line that's partially aluminium to your property you're losing a bit more speed.

The engineer reckons that your line achieving a speed of about 64mbps is normal with an absolute minimum of 55mbps. They've checked other lines nearby connected to the same DP and they're getting around the same too.

The engineer also went through the recent speed history of your line and while we can see almost 4 few years ago you got near 80mbps, it looks like you've been getting around 65mbps since March 2017.

I've poked the speed profile on your account up to 64mbps to match the current sync rate you're getting, it was set a tad low at 59mbps. I'm confident that both we and the engineers have done all that's possible to try to improve your speed further. If you've got anything to add or need help with anything else, feel free to let me know. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wratten85
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf,

Thanks for all your help with this. I still think that there is an issue at the cab end but it look like they have done everything theyre willing to do. My speed has increased quite a bit so im really greatful for all your help and persistance with BT. 

The only thing that has seemed to resolve the issue is the fact that my SNR margin has dropped to 4.2, increasing my line rate and download speed. but for my SNR to have to drop to 4.2 to increase my speed, there must be a lot of noise at the cabinet...

Is there any chance you would be able to manually unband my WP profile and keep it unbanded incase my SNR drops further and my line rate increases?

You can see my router stats below and its reporting that i should be able to sync at 68mb

router#sh controller vdsl 0/0/0
Controller VDSL 0/0/0 is UP

Daemon Status: Up

XTU-R (DS) XTU-C (US)
Chip Vendor ID: 'BDCM' 'BDCM'
Chip Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0xA4A1
Chip Vendor Country: 0xB500 0xB500
Modem Vendor ID: 'CSCO' ' '
Modem Vendor Specific: 0x4602 0x0000
Modem Vendor Country: 0xB500 0x0000
Serial Number Near: 
Serial Number Far:
Modem Version Near: 
Modem Version Far: 

Modem Status: TC Sync (Showtime!)
DSL Config Mode: VDSL2
Trained Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) Profile 17a
TC Mode: PTM
Selftest Result: 0x00
DELT configuration: disabled
DELT state: not running
Trellis: ON ON
SRA: enabled enabled
SRA count: 0 0
Bit swap: enabled enabled
Bit swap count: 6160 2487
Line Attenuation: 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
Signal Attenuation: 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin: 4.2 dB 7.3 dB
Attainable Rate: 71164 kbits/s 22520 kbits/s
Actual Power: 14.1 dBm 1.8 dBm
Per Band Status: D1 D2 D3 U0 U1 U2 U3
Line Attenuation(dB): 7.9 17.0 26.2 4.8 15.1 21.6 N/A
Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.9 17.0 26.2 4.8 14.6 20.9 N/A
Noise Margin(dB): 4.2 4.2 4.2 7.2 7.3 7.3 N/A
Total FECC: 13 52
Total ES: 21 756
Total SES: 21 0
Total LOSS: 21 0
Total UAS: 2540 2540
Total LPRS: 0 0
Total LOFS: 20 0
Total LOLS: 0 0

Full inits: 5
Failed full inits: 1
Short inits: 0
Failed short inits: 0

Firmware Source File Name (version)
-------- ------ -------------------
VDSL user config flash:

Modem FW Version: 
Modem PHY Version: 
Vender Version:

DS Channel1 DS Channel0 US Channel1 US Channel0
Speed (kbps): 0 68124 0 19999
SRA Previous Speed: 0 0 0 0
Previous Speed: 0 68587 0 19999
Reed-Solomon EC: 0 543 0 2120
CRC Errors: 1251 1251 0 0
Header Errors: 0 0 0 0
Interleave (ms): 3.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Actual INP: 4.01 51.00 0.00 0.00

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mat, thanks for the post back.

Yeah I think the problem is that none of the engineer's testing identified a fault and what errors they did detect were within tolerance, so they'd be looking for a needle in a haystack. Unless tests showed a fault at the cabinet they likely wouldn't be able to get authorisation from DCoE(Diagnostics Centre of Excellence) to move your line on to a different port.

A drop in the SNRM target I'd expect would indicate there's less noise, because you'd generally see an increase in the SNRM if there is noise as the DLM software would be trying to combat the noise.

I agree though that the 4dB target is artificially boosting your speed and without it you'd likely see less, but from what the engineer has said the expectations of your line we're seeing are a bit optimistic that it should realistically be between 55mbps and 64mbps, so even with a 'normal' 6dB target you'd still fall right within the engineers expectations.

It also didn't help that from the engineer's NATO test, it seems everybody else nearby is also getting a similar speed. The engineer mentioned that his patch manager (Bit like a team manager) was involved in this so it's been to the top.

Unless I'm reading your router stats wrong, looking at them they're showing your router is in sync at 68.1mbps now with your previous speed being at 68.5mbps and the max attainable at 71mbps though?

The workplace(WP) profile should (via automated 'delta report' speed updates) always match the bRAS/IP profile rate of the line that's 90-96% of the sync speed, but the updates can be a bit slow to come through, restricting your download speed if it's set too low, and isn't something we can 'turn off' unless we remove your static IP.

This profile is basically a by-product of traffic management from long ago when all our connections were routed through certain equipment, which only connections with static IPs are now routed through due to how we assign static IPs out still. (We don't have traffic management anymore though, we switched that part off in 2017).

If you don't need and aren't too attached to the static, I can remove this so there won't be anything potentially restricting your speeds from our own side, you'd then get the full speed of the line pretty much instantly whenever the line rate changes. Otherwise we're happy to keep nudging it to the right place if/when needed. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wratten85
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf 🙂

I need to keep the static really as it makes remote access easier. What is my profile set to at the moment and can you see what im synced at?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Mat, I can check in about half an hour, just on my way to the office now. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wratten85
Grafter

Thanks, could you bump it to 68 to match and ill see what i get 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yup, sorry for the delay. Consider it bumped to 68.2mbps (over your sync rate I'm seeing at 68.1mbps). I'd recommend disconnecting and reconnecting your connection from within your router settings for the new profile to take effect.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet