Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Slow Upload Speeds

FIXED
jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Really Slow Upload Speeds

Hi there,

Was wondering if someone could help with this, on Unlimited fibre and having really slow upload speeds which is making the speeds to upload my backups to my web server virtually impossible right now.

Just checked on speedtest.net and found it's really slow (much slower then when the customer account was opened), here's the image link:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8530743621.png

I'd really love to get this resolved just as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Jeremy.

24 REPLIES 24
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Really Slow Upload Speeds

@jeremysmith81  Welcome to the forum.

Is this speed test wired or wireless? If wireless you need to repeat the speed test using a computer connected to your router with an Ethernet cable. This will tell us where to start looking for your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Yeah tried using wired (always use wifi) and is exactly the same more or less:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8531715291.png

Thanks so much

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Do you what your line supports? Put your number into the DSL Checker and post the results.

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

I checked using my phone number and these were the results in an image.

Thanks again.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You should be getting better speeds than you are.

Are you plugged into the Master Socket or an extension?

Is it a filtered Master Socket?

Have you tried the hidden test socket in the Master Socket?

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Yeah its on a filter, have even tried the newer filter using the one that came with what I was using previously to bridge it between my pfsense box and it's coming back with the same speeds more or less.

It was originally (even with the extension cable) up to a certain point like least 4mb (though thats a rough guess as I don't remember exactly but was certainly higher than it is right now goes from about what 300kb/s and keeps fluctuating to about even around 10kb/s, even changed port 22 on my servers ssh connection to port 80 as I am led to believe plusnet throttles non standard ports I think?) I was able to upload my backups to my online webserver and tried out using my local network sandbox testing server and thats perfectly fine using winscp so wont be any of those settings.

Thanks again so much for your help

Mustrum
Community Veteran

So although you did not answer any of my questions directly, I conclude you don't have a filtered Master Socket and you have either not got a test socket or have not tried it if you do.

VDSL signals are much more prone to low speeds if internal wiring is not sorted out. In the early days of VDSL, Openreach would fit a modem, and ensure a filtered Master Socket was fitted.Now the ISP's just send out a router, and wait to see if you get poor speeds before sending out an engineer.

Your best bet would be to get a fault raised - it being a Bank Holiday there does not seem to be too many staff on the forum.

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Yeah I think that's probably best.

To be bluntly honest when my connection once early on when after the account was created went down completely trying to look for what you said a test socket and the socket in the wall looked nothing like the one which was shown in the steps to find out what the problem was (can't remember exactly but was certainly on the Plusnet diagnostics steps).

I will get a fault raised then.

Thanks though so much for your help I really appreciate it

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

It's plugged into the Master Socket actually has Master Socket 5C written on the top of it.

It's got a filter since is only one socket on the Master Socket (tried even taking off the front cover of the Master Socket) and maybe a bit more stable doesn't drop to 10kb/s a second now at least but is only going up to 3mb by speed tests now, which would suggest I think to like what you said faulty wiring but I wouldn't really know).

As I said there's really only one of them when unclipping the front cover off the Master Socket 5C

I really think like what you suggested to raise a ticket with Plusnet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You won't notice much difference just by speed testing, better to look at the Router sync speeds and max attainable speeds - in the Help Desk Page of the advanced tab.

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Yeah when going to the Advanced part of the router, says in the Broadband connection tab that the upstream is at 3.33mb

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You need to dig a bit deeper, I don't have a PN router, but from memory you get to the Help Desk tab, after the Troubleshooting tab I think.

jeremysmith81
Dabbler

Apologies of course yeah this is what it shows right now, not sure if my eyes were working quite then haha

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@jeremysmith81 

Just for clarity is it correct to say that you have taken the front off the master socket and plugged a filter into the test socket, in this condition using the short dsl cable that came with the router the router is showing an upstream sync rate of 3333kbps and a SNR of 3.4 dB as shown in your attachment?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'