cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@geffers, sending tweets to our social team will do nothing but take their time up when they could be helping others.

I understand it's frustrating but this issue is being treated with the requisite urgency, and we're moving as quick as we're able to given the nature of the problem.

I've personally spent a lot of my time over recent weeks working with our partners/vendors to isolate the cause/develop a fix.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Thanks for your input on this and other threads @bobpullen  Your posts do have a lot of credibility and understanding of the issues as well as the technical clout in getting a resolution.  Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @MauriceC Smiley

@proverbs15-1, unless I'm mistaken you're not using a Plusnet Hub One so I don't think your problems are specific to what's being discussed here. Not to worry though, get in touch with our support team, and they should be able to get a fault raised on your behalf for investigation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hz4daz

Hi bobpullen,

I've been directed to this forum after complaining to PlusNet about the connection problems I've been having since late October.  It did initially look like a wiring issue between the street cabinet and the Master Socket, but this has been resolved with an OpenReach technician but I still have many dropouts every day.

You mention that there's light at the tunnel, and that the problem has been identified - but you've not elaborated what it is. Can you please tell us what's causing this issue, as noted in the Forum others who have moved away from PlusNet have no issues, and I'm seriously considering doing the same.

You also mentioned that there are configuration changes to the PlusNet Router that - at least partially - address the problem. Is this set of configuration changes available, so that us who understand these things a bit better can at least try them on the router rather than wait for an indeterminate period for a global fix?  I've not been able to achieve a successful upload of some critical files since late December, and am desperate to get this working - to at least a semi-reliable connection!

Many thanks,

Daz

@bobpullen wrote:

@ALS57 wrote:

My upload of large (200mb) files are failing at around the 42mb mark so desperate to get a resolution please so I can upload a new website to my server.

Bob, I'd appreciate your help on this please

Hi Al, assuming I've located the correct account, you should be good to go.

@mrosebury wrote:

I turned OneDrive back on this AM to sync my files and once again the line started to drop.

I can see two PPP drops yesterday morning, one at 10:10 and one at 10:22. Since then the line hasn't dropped once. I've just checked and the changes have definitely been applied to your router.

I don't think you're suffering from the same problem though if it's still occurring when you limit the upload to 512kbps. The problem most people are suffering from can be resolved by limiting the upload to 95%, we've found the same from our testing in the office.

Something else is happening here.

FWIW when I've been testing I've been running multiple concurrent uploads to Google Drive, Amazon Drive and One Drive simultaneously and I've seen zero issues since making the changes I've applied to your router. Are you using the local One Drive client or the web interface?

Router screen reports version Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 22/09/16/

Do I need to force an upgrade? I notice TR069 is supported - is upgrade done automatically?

No. The changes I've been making do not affect the base firmware, they're config alterations (that incidentally will not survive a factory reset). You don't need to do anything for them to kick in.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@hz4daz wrote:
You mention that there's light at the tunnel, and that the problem has been identified - but you've not elaborated what it is. Can you please tell us what's causing this issue...

There's a unique set of conditions where LCP echo requests from the remote side are not being responded to in a timely fashion by the Hub One. This is partially linked with the QoS implementation on the router, in particular that of the latest .226 firmware. It's only affecting those on our 40/2 provisioned fibre product.

The way PPP works is that if it the remote BRAS (or equivalent) doesn't receive a set amount of LCP echo replies in a pre-determined period of time, it will send a disconnection request to terminate the session. The router then responds to this request by disconnecting you from the Internet.

The problem is more prevalent on our 'new' network because the kit in use sends LCP echo requests at a higher frequency compared to that of the 'old' network.

You also mentioned that there are configuration changes to the PlusNet Router that - at least partially - address the problem. Is this set of configuration changes available, so that us who understand these things a bit better can at least try them on the router rather than wait for an indeterminate period for a global fix?

Not possible I'm afraid. You'd need access to the CLI/shell which isn't possible without a soldering iron Wink

I've not been able to achieve a successful upload of some critical files since late December, and am desperate to get this working - to at least a semi-reliable connection!

Send me a private message containing your account username and I'll see what I can do.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pussycat

Hello Bob,

I am having PPP dropouts (DSL remains stable) when doing large(ish) uploads to onedrive (cloud storage). See

Question #142785346

I am on the 80/20 service, not the 40/2 service, so I am worried that the problem is wider than you you currently think. Please add my PNH1 router to your list of 'suspect' ones and rollout any changes you can to fix it.

I can 'avoid' the problem by using the onedrive program to limit the upload speed and scheduling larger uploads for 4am - but that seems to be only a short-term fix.

Would appreciate your thoughts , mowler

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@pussycat, changes applied so let me know how you get on.

Given the nature of the problem, it's possible it would affect an 80/20 customer, but it's not going to be as severe. Any global fix we apply is likely to be across the board so there's no risk of exclusion regardless.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Hello Bob. In fact I have a Hub1 and I have exactly the same issues about the uploading! My uploading speed its low. Also I already called the support team... and they advice me to get in touch with this forum... while they are investigating... 

That's why I was trying to understand if there is anyway of fixing for now the problem... as I really need to get in touch with my family properly! Also my internet is slow at times...

Thank you for your time!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@proverbs15-1, send me a private message in which case containing your username. I must have been looking at the wrong account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

geffers
Grafter

I think it might Bob, social media can be good or bad publicity and currently Plusnet are supplying a faulty service. If they fix it I will praise them on social media. ASAP is like waiting for a bus, it might be 30 seconds, it might be 10 minutes, there again it might be 30 minutes.

Geffers

bobpullen wrote:
@geffers, sending tweets to our social team will do nothing but take their time up when they could be helping others.

ALS57
Hooked

Just to say my issues appear to have been resolved

Thanks Bob

richCie

Hello,

I have been told to post here by Plusnet support regarding constant connection drops on my plusnet fibre broadband.

"

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for your patience I have tested your line and can still see drops on your line and it seems to be only when you upload, we are aware of this issue and I have checked and added your details on our internal incident.

In the mean time if you can go Here and add the required details it will allow us to put a software update to your router to help.

Kind regards,

David Lerwill

This was the only information I was given so I don't know what else I need to do.

the support question number is 141875713

Is this likely to at all be related to a further issue I am having whereby connection drops all the time on my desktop which is connected via LAN, This happens far more often than when using a wifi connection on my phone. Whereas until today the connection would eventually come back today I have not been able to connect at all and just keep getting default gateway errors.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, resetting modem etc etc but to no avail. Is this likely to be a separate issue?

pjhitchins
Hooked

• Make/model of router

Plusnet OneHub. We have a second OneHub acting as a switch. I've tried swapping routers around and only using one at a time, so it's not entirely router dependant.

• Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages)

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 31/10/16

• What product/speed you have, e.g. Unlimited Fibre 40/2, Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 etc.

Unlimited Fibre 40/2

psb-ir01 - Southbank Point of Presence

• Device being used to upload from e.g. Android Smartphone, Windows 10 machine, Macbook OSX etc. 
    What it is you're uploading/what service you're using e.g. iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive

This seems to occur mostly over the WiFi connection from my fully updated iPhone 6S. It backs up my photos to Google Photos, OneDrive, Flickr and iCloud. Even just one of these services being activated (e.g. OneDrive) is enough to cut the internet out. This is all through the app.

It also occurs from my Ubuntu 16.04.1 Desktop over Ethernet, uploading via Google Chrome. Limiting the upload to 750kb/s (around 100kB/s) fixed this. I expect I could increase this limit to 1800kb/s (225kB/s) but I've not tried that. That was uploading to Google Photos - around 10GB in a day (the connection was saturated for over 10 hours for that), and the cutouts were frequent and lasted a while sometimes.

This also happens when uploading to YouTube from Google Chrome without throttling the speed..

• When the problem first started

Around the end of September 2016.

• If you have access to a different router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub One

If buying a new router has a chance of fixing this, I could get a cheap one on Amazon. I don't want to do that if it's not going to help me at all.

Mav
Fixes: 516

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Duplicate posts removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

toweliechaos
Dabbler

I've been suggested to add to this post. I am also now experiencing drop outs. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Intermittent-drop-outs/m-p/1411408#M55302 for details. 

To my knowledge, there wasn't any uploading of note taking place however.