cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Tillerman
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Hi @bobpullen 

All seems to be better thus far - certainly no disconnects, but still suffering slow local connections. Looking at the router log, it seems to now trigger DHCP disconnects and lease renewals when the upload rate increases. The frequency of this is still in line with the disconnections I experienced previously.

Impact is a sluggish response but a faster return to normal service than before.

As per @raycrowe observations, it would appear that there are wider problems with the 40/2 service (or at least the cheap routers that PN uses) - can we not get placed onto 80/20 until PN can sort this issue?

Thanks

geffers
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Strangely, my daughter was with BT and suffered numerous disconnects, now with Plusnet SAME THING. Her Plusnet router looks identical to BT router apart from colour.

Geffers
JimJimini

Hello,

I believe we have the same problem. When uploading to GoogleDrive our broadband drops out for 30-40 seconds at roughly 4 minute intervals. I've been trying to upload a single GoPro video file (2.97GB) for several weeks with no luck.

After checking our equipment and trying various things I rang Plusnet. I was told to plug the router into the test socket on the BT master and leave it on for three days. Of course this made no difference, and when I rang back I was then told Plusnet have known about this problem since December 2016. I was told it only happens when using a significant proportion of the upload bandwidth to connect to the likes of SkyDrive, GoogleDrive, etc., and is believed to be a fault in the router firmware. This seems to tie in with this thread.

(Sagemcom) Plusnet Hub One
Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 (Last updated 30/09/16)
We are on Unlimited Fibre 40/2 - but roughly a kilometre from the nearest fibre cabinet and only get 6/1 if we're lucky!
The gateway checker couldn't identify our gateway, it reports: core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 5.681 ms
Using a Windows 10 machine, uploading to GoogleDrive.
Noticed problem in December 2016
Don't have an alternative router to try at the moment.

I was told this potentially affects everyone on Unlimited Fibre, using the Plusnet Hub One router, but because most people download rather than upload they won't see it! Plusnet told me only a few thousand users have complained so far so they are not putting it on the Service Status page. I asked when new firmware would be rolled out - Plusnet don't know. I asked if users who had reported problems would be prioritised for the new firmware rollout - Plusnet said no. I asked if impacted users would be told when it was fixed - Plusnet said no, we have to just keep trying until it's fixed.

Personally, I don't think this is being handled particularly well by Plusnet.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Plusnet are slow with service updates 😞
Especially with problems like this
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
andrewc2102

@bobpullen would you be able to apply this fix for me too?

I desperately need to be able to backup large media files for university and it continuously drops out when I try. Using the plusnet help has got me no-where.

Many thanks.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Forgive my laziness for not reading the entire thread but I'm in the same boat as @andrewc2102, I would like to start backing up my computer to the cloud but doing so with my Plusnet fibre would be pointless. I have several gigs of online storage but rarely use any of it for this reason. My upload speed barely reaches 2 mb and with backup files weighing in at 15-20 gigs it's not even worth considering until ISP's improve upload speeds and stability. I'm guessing maybe there are more expensive packages but I can't justify the extra cost when I only backup once a month.

PKblue
Hooked

@bobpullen wrote:

Right, I think we might be getting somewhere.

@bobminors@aj4m2a@raycrowe@yasminflower@PKblue & @csjkeir - I've just made some config changes to your devices. Can you let me know if it's helped?

I'm about to leave the office so won't be around much over the next day or two, but will pick up when I'm back in the office next week.

Since you applied the update to my router I have not had any problems so far. Let's hope it stays that way. Many thanks.

PK

mn

Hello,

My broadband disconnects when I try to upload files larger than 30 MB via Google Drive; when the broadband comes back to life the upload speed continuously decreases and the upload could not complete, disconnections repeated until the upload cancelled.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
I am on Unlimited Fibre 40/2
The gateway checker couldn't identify the gateway, it reports: core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 5.352 ms
The issue started more than a month ago and have been advised to seek help from this forum yesterday.
I do not have access to another router (is the issue specific to Hub One?)

Do you have a firmware fix or if I buy another router (PlusNet should pay for it) the issue will be fixed for sure?

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Peter

Lauradyer

Since Boxing Day constant connection dropping! Shocking speed considering we are on fibre optic! At my wits end and extremely close to going back to BT! 😞😞😞
mrosebury
Hooked

Here is my information as requested, although all information seems to point to the Plusnet supplied VDSL router being unable to cope with constant uploads

Make/model of router PlusNet Supplied VDSL model  - Plusnet Hub One, 

Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages) - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226

What product/speed you have, -. Unlimited Fibre 40/2  which is something like 30/1.8

Gateway you're connected to (can be found by heading to:  pcn-bng04

What it is you're uploading/what service you're using - Microsoft OneDrive for Business

When the problem first started - first noticed 7/1/2017

If you have access to a different VDSL router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub One - no other VDSL router tested though happy to test an alternative if supplied (by PlusNet)

I have been forced to temporarily stop my OneDrive client which has meant that the line is much more stable and has only failed once over the last few days (instead of every 30mins approx).

Plusnet support have been helpful but there is no sign of a resolution as yet. After approx one month I do not see any sense of urgency. I suspect that this is being experienced by many more users who have not reported this. The considerable wait on the telephone or message window is enough to deter most customers. I would suggest that a suitable alternative router is sent to a selection of customers who currently are experiencing the fault and are willing to test. i.e. me for one. 

ColinD

I have been having the same problem - prior to 19th January I had trouble free internet. Since 19th January I have been having constant intermittent breaks in my internet service each day. Today's dropouts are:   nternet comnnected 8:48, down 8:50, 8:54, 9:03, 9:23. Back 0n at 13:43 and it was down at 1:43 maybe a couple of seconds activity, 13:52, 13:56; 14:10. Switched on again at 15:42, down at 15:55, 15:49, 15:52, 16:02. Back on at 20:25, down 20:27, 20:36. Heyho on the internet again at 18:56, down at 18:57. Down at 19:48 for over 9 minutes, 20:05, 20:08, 20:11, 20:15, 20:18, 20:20, 20:26, 20:35, 20: 46, 20:48.

Plusnet technical support have told me that it is an upload usage problem. I disabled storage on the cloud facility on 26th January but this has not improved performance. Apparently I have to wait at least 8 weeks to allow Plusnet to rectify the situation before I could attempt cancel my 18 month contract. and go to another provider. Plusnet do not appear to give me updates as to what they are doing to remedy this, but are still happy to take my money for a service they are no longer providing. Internet has just gone down yet again. 

mn

Good morning,

Does anyone from PlusNet is reading our posts?

I have added my router info and a short description of the problem to this forum on Sunday, but have not heard anything back since.
This issue is almost 2 month old with no resolution, and we are paying for a fibre broadband which does not work.

I saw in previous posts that 'bobpullen' made some config changes to a few devices with success, so it would be great if the fix can be rolled out ASAP to my router (and all of the affected devices) too.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Peter

yasminflower

Hi, I have now charged to BT and uploaded what i needed to within 4 mins and no problems afterwards. So the problem definitely is with Plusnet. 

Really they are not providing a service and I am hoping to get out of the contract and paying the extra fee of £180.

I work from home so no other choice but to swap!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I do not use the PN supplied router and have no problems , so Obviously the problem lies with PN router 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Tags (1)
AjayMurudkar

@bobpullen 

Please do something, we all are fade up with Plusent, and got stuck.. if we had an option we would have left Plusnet immediately, Just supply a new working router.

Tags (1)