Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre to Fibre Extra - No speed change yet

FIXED
nathanrdedman
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Fibre to Fibre Extra - No speed change yet

Just need to hunt down a microfilter ... 

Even worse today: Sad

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 14.23.41.png

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @nathanrdedman

I have replied to your ticket here with regards to being able to send you a new micro-filter.

Before we book an engineers visit, we would be happy to send you a micro-filter to test with. Let us know if you are unable to find one so we can arrange one to be sent.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Jubby  Never mind a microfilter,the line is obviously banded, looks like both upstream and downstream, why not try and get a DLM reset.

nathanrdedman
Dabbler

Sadly, the microfilter has made no difference. 

Jubby
All Star

Hi @nathanrdedman

Sorry to see connecting to the test socket with a micro-filter has not resolved the issue.

I have booked the appointment and confirmed the booking in the ticket, you can monitor the progress of the fault here.

@RealAleMadrid

The current sync rate is not achieving up to the banding, if we perform a DLM reset the sync rate would not improve. When Openreach have determined the issue with the sync rate and resolved it, they can then perform the DLM reset.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Jubby   The issue with the sync rate is that the line is banded, just look at the SNRM values they are way above the usual default values of 6dB, the figures that the GEA test showed yesterday are invalid for the following reasons:-

1) The sync speed in the test is not the true sync speed reported by the modem but some adjusted value because the line is on high retransmission (It is about 95% of the actual sync rate)

2) The profile name is dated the 17th August so is way out of date.

The sync speeds have fallen even lower today. If you could show current line profile figures they would probably show max speeds of 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

And just to add to @RealAleMadrid comments, @nathanrdedman could you post your stats since you have the router in the test socket?

Do you have noise on the line? Dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone.

nathanrdedman
Dabbler

I've performed the quiet line test, but we only have a cordless handset (non DECT) so what little crackles I can hear may not be noise artifacts from the line.

Current router stats:

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 18.34.37.png

Jubby
All Star

@RealAleMadrid
The line test shows a profile of 0.128M - 25M whilst the sync rate is 19.1 Mbps. We would like to be able to perform a full DLM reset like our engineers perform however,  when we raise the fault and raise it to the trial team to reset it only resets the banding (0.128M - 25M.) The downstream in the most recent post also shows a current rate of 20Mb which is again below the line speeds estimates.

I assure you if there was something we could do to resolve the issue without the need of sending an engineer we would.

Thank you.

Lewis G
nathanrdedman
Dabbler

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this issue!

My rates have dropped even further today, but the interesting thing is the large spike in downstream packet errors!

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 09.43.14.png

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @nathanrdedman,

Thanks for getting back to us with an update on your connection. We should know more on the cause once the engineer appointment has gone through.

Please let us know how you get on.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
nathanrdedman
Dabbler

The Openreach engineer came this morning. He couldn't find any definitive errors in the line / hardware. He removed the current DLM cap and speed is currently at 30Mb/s. I don't think my line is going to attain Unlimited Fibre Extra speeds, so I'm probably going to downgrade, as it's not worth the extra expense per month.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @nathanrdedman

I don't think my line is going to attain Unlimited Fibre Extra speeds, so I'm probably going to downgrade, as it's not worth the extra expense per month

From looking at the DSL Checker - I can see your lines High Estimate is 40Mbps. 

Let us know what you decide to do. 

Thanks, 

MoR

nathanrdedman
Dabbler

The engineer removed the bandwidth cap and has overridden the DLM to stay at 30Mb/s. I need to re-raise after 10 days, after training (providing it doesn't worsen at my end). If you can get the DLM override removed at that point, that would be great. Ideally, I'd like to hit ~40MB/s! The line max hints at ~38Mb/s:Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 14.48.34.png

According to the engineer, there are many different areas that could be causing the drop (not excluding user equipment), so it's a process of elimination.

nathanrdedman
Dabbler

The line has stabilised to an acceptable rate now but will not achieve the unlimited fibre extra speeds I've upgraded to. Sad

I'm surprised the upgrade path was available since I can't actually attain those speeds.

Anyway, I'd like to downgrade my package back to unlimited fibre. Can that be done from here or do I need to contact support via the phone (long wait times at the moment)

Many thanks,

Nathan