Did you mean: 

Only getting 15Mbps

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Only getting 15Mbps

@dws1900  have a look at post 9.

No need for any further diagnosis.or tests.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bobpullen wrote:

I'll defer to @Gandalf with regards to the DLM reset. Can't see why this can't be requested if the intention is to remain in the test socket.

With a bit of luck, we should hopefully see some change over the coming days 🤞

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

catherinealan
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen. When you said "the wizzard" and I said "Gandalf?" I was joking, didn't know there was actually a plusnet staff called Gandalf! I suppose he is the best wizzard, so that makes sense.

Speeds look the same currently, but I will keep an eye on it.

catherinealan
Dabbler

@bobpullen @Gandalf 

Would either of you be able to confirm if the reset has been requested, or if not, the approximate timeframe in which the connection might "sort itself" out?

All the best,

- Alan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Alan, I'm afraid this is likely going to need greater magic by an engineer. Last Wednesday when Bob messaged me internally I passed this on to the relevant team for a DLM reset and these are normally carried out within 3 working days. Unfortunately we can't track on whether they've been completed or otherwise apart from just retest your line after.

Upon further investigation I can see the banding at 16.5mbps as of yesterday and your router's currently in sync at 15.7mbps so the banding isn't actually restricting your sync speed, and our testing is also showing a high resistance fault which is likely the underlying cause. Unfortunately for this type of fault it's something we'd need to arrange an engineer to visit.

Because of CV-19 there's some changes with regards to how engineer visits are taking place and there's some information about that here: https://www.plus.net/help/covid-19/#broadband-engineer-appointments

If you'd like to go ahead I'd recommend reporting a speed fault online at faults.plus.net. It's worth noting though that together with our network partners at Openreach we're prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in speed faults being fixed. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
catherinealan
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf for the update.

That is unfortunate that the issue was not resolved. We are shielding and being quite strict. Is there any chance that if we kept the broadband in the test socket, that the engineer would not need to come in to the house? Additionally, if we were to replace the master socket (seems super easy), might that make any difference to the speeds or the need to the engineer to enter the house?

Unfrotunaly we will probably need to leave it untill after the pandemic unless it can be fixed remotly or at the cabinet. If we stay at 15mbps, that's probably managable untill then.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for getting back to me @catherinealan 

No problem, it's possible the engineer could fix the issue without going inside your house, but we'd need to book this as an appointment though as there wouldn't be an option for us to raise a fault another way because of the type of fault the test is showing. When the engineer arrives they'll generally investigate externally first and give you a call on the day.

At that point if you're (understandably) not comfortable with the engineer going inside, just let them know and they'll pass the job back to us to re-appoint for a later date. We won't charge a missed appointment fee if there's no access due to CV-19.

While there are a lot of tests an engineer can carry out externally, generally it's more thorough to test from the master socket for end to end testing if there's no immediate issues found just by investigating externally.

It's also possible that the problem is the actual master socket itself however I personally wouldn't recommend you replacing this yourself as technically from the test socket outwards it's Openreach's property. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
catherinealan
Dabbler

@Gandalf @bobpullen @MisterW 

Good news!

I decided to buy a new master socket of ebay and replace it myself before reporting for an engineer. Replaced the socket (super simple) AND BAM!

5. DSL uptime:	0 days, 00:09:34
6. Data rate:	19999 / 76344
7. Maximum data rate:	26749 / 90904
8. Noise margin:	15.3 / 8.9
9. Line attenuation:	19.8 / 15.7
10. Signal attenuation:	19.5 / 15.7

I have one last question; when the hub starts up it goes from green, to orange, to blue, back to organge with the broadband light, then finall blue. This all takes about 60-90 seconds. Is that normal?

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @catherinealan the router start up is perfectly normal Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Gaffer123

Most likely Vectoring is enabled on your DSLAM (fibre cabinet green box) and downside of this is longer time for a connection to sync up (can take up to 3 minutes sometimes) - versus non Vectored cabinet which takes roughly 17 seconds. On good side Vectoring helps with speed, especially over longer distance as it eliminates crosstalk.