Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

snowTrails
Hooked

New customer

Hi,

I've just started using my new fibre connection and have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask if I may.  My old service provider was a fibre to cabinet service using a 30 Megabit connection. I'm now on the Plusnet Fibre Extra and since I luckily live right next to the cabinet, my line is rated at 80/20. I've done a speed test on a PC and tablet connected wirelessly (have yet to find my long Ethernet cable) and am getting around 37/20 using BTWholesale. ** I've disabled 5G so am soley on 2.4 Ghz **

My desktop wireless adaptor is 802.11n with link speed of 600/65 (Mbps). Should I be getting higher data rates than I am? (I have the same data speed when directly in front of the router holding the tablet).

Secondly, I have an old console hooked up via powerline adaptors that I use for Netflix. The distance from router to target home plug is only a several metres or so. My old service worked flawlessy with this setup but now Netflix is unusable and reports anywhere between 1 - 2.5 Mbs. Any ideas why this would be?

I understand that my line will still be settling in so am I just being impatient? Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: New customer

@snowTrails   Welcome to the forum.

First find that long Ethernet cable so that we can determine whether you have a network or wireless problem.

With respect to Netflix, I assume that this is running on a Smart TV. Have you gone through the process of resetting the network adapter in the TV then reconnecting it to you Plusnet hub?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RRM
Rising Star

Would also be worth resetting your homeplug. 

snowTrails
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

Thanks, I'll dig out the Ethernet cable later hopefully...

On the Netflix issue, nope, it's not a smart TV - I'm just using the old console for the Netflix app which is really good so there's no way to reset it.  Netflix was working perfectly just two days ago before switching to Plusnet so it's pretty odd and surely no coincidence.

snowTrails
Hooked

Hi RRM,

The homeplugs are pretty old (but are rated at 10/100 for added info). There is no way to reset them other than taking them out of the socket and plugging them back in Wink

snowTrails
Hooked

So I managed to find my old box of cables..I wasn't joking about this Ethernet cable being long - it's HUGE! Anyways, trailing the cable from downstairs to upstairs, I now get 74 Mbs down and 20 up (again with BTW) so I'm pretty much at full speed when wired which is great.

So with that, do you have any ideas on my initial questions?

RRM
Rising Star

If you are getting that via Ethernet cable. Then it's more to do with the Wi-Fi. Is there some interference? 

You could try changing the channels being used, although I doubt it will improve.

R

Baldrick1

@snowTrails 

Let's take the two problems one by one.

First the wireless to upstairs. A couple of things to try.

First separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Try each band in turn as one will be better than the other.

Next try using diffferent wireless channels. Go into the same page on your hub and go to the channel selection page and try a different one.

The Plusnet Hub One does not have particularly good wireless performance. Many of us use a BT Smarthub bought cheaply from an auction site. You will find more information and settings pinned to the top of the Router board on this forum.

Regarding your console and powerline units, does this work if you substitute the powerline converters with the Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer

snowTrails
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

So here's my findings. I hardwired the router to the Xbox and Netflix confirmed that the connection matched the previous hard wired Ethernet to PC test which was a 74 Mbs Down speed, so for some reason, the power line plugs cease to work after switching to Plusnet. Can't work this out.

I went ahead and took some speed tests using the PC and the tablet using different 5G configs (latency/d/u):

2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz synced:

pc
21  32.83  20.53
20  32.91  20.48
22  32.74  20.55

tablet
35  28.95  18.36
68  40.89  18.24
58  37.49  18.48
52  32.28  15.38

2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz un-synced (renamed to 5G):

pc
26  32.49  20.80
29  32.55  20.57
23  34.48  20.79

tablet
45  28.19  17.73
55  32.73  18.08
61  32.10  18.50

2.4 Ghz/5Ghz DISABLED

pc
25  33.17  20.66
21  32.67  20.58
23  31.58  20.61

tablet
57  29.28  18.32
44  29.37  18.46
64  29.39  18.44

Not much difference really between them other than the tablet has more latency than the PC in all configs.

Edit: This is all with auto channel enabled. I did try one test of setting the channel manually for the PC test but didn't affect it and I've kind of lost the will for now..

Another point maybe worth noting is that the tablet shows the Wifi connection as 5g in the 5g synced test (not in the SSID but through it's own naming) but connects at 2.4 Ghz through all the tests. The pc reported being connected at 2.4 Ghz through all tests also. So it seems that the tablet is 5G enabled but can't say if the PC wireless adaptor is (802.11n). Regardless, they were quite similar results side by side.

Baldrick1

@snowTrails 

I have no idea why your powerline devices have died, the change of hub should not have made a jot of difference, maybe one of them has decided that this is a good time to die. Edit, One further thought, you are not using the master on the end of an extension lead with the Plusnet hub connected to the same extension? If so try the Powerline plugged directly into another non extended socket.

Regarding your WiFi connection, once you have separated the bands and added -5 to the 5GHz band there is another step that I think that you may be missing. You need to go to each device in turn and go to Available Wireless Networks in the Settings menu. Here you will see the two SSIDs. You need to select the one that you want to use. If it is insisting on using the wrong band then just select this band in the device settings and use the Forget This Network option.

Personally I would spend circa £15 on a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site. If you want more setting options and a slightly bigger budget then get a Business version. See here and its links for more info and the experiences of others regarding their improvement in WiFi performance  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer