cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - no broadband

R1chard99
Dabbler

Re: New Customer - no broadband

This is now the longest period since 1995 (It was a dial-up service called Meganet, and the owner came out personally to sort any problems) that I have had no internet service to my house. Since the engineer came out yesterday to unsuccessfully fix the problem my next door neighbour has lost her internet service. Coincidence?
I guess there was no result from checking this afternoon? Please let me know what you found out even if it was nothing. Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've just updated the fault ticket for you now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
R1chard99
Dabbler

Thank you. I just got a text asking for three timeslots for an engineer visit, so we are making some progress.  Smiley  Hopefully after a third visit it will be sorted. Who knew that it would be so complicated to change from ADSL to fibre?!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm just booking the appointment fore you now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
R1chard99
Dabbler

Surprisingly an engineer arrived today with 10 minutes notice and spent all afternoon toing and froing. He seems to have stabilised the DSL light now by changing lines from the cabinet, but finds that as soon as he plugs in the router it knocks out the DSL light - so the latest problem could be either the router or it's power supply. Hopefully we are now getting closer to a solution, but it does mean that I need a new router and power supply. It looks like I am heading towards another internet free weekend.  Sad  Cry
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not heard that one before.
Is the router connected properly to the modem?
I've ordered a replacement to be on the safe side.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
R1chard99
Dabbler

Thank you Matthew. Yes. I have checked and rechecked it many times. The good news is that when the router is switched off while connected, or disconnected entirely, the modem DSL light remains stable (it didn't before). However, as soon as the router is turned on and connected the modem light goes off and then blinks constantly. If it turns out not to be the router or its power supply then I just don't know what will be done - and neither, it seems, do Openreach or PlusNet.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

* deleted. *
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The good news is that the replacement router was dispatched last night.
I'm hoping you should get it in the next couple of days.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you haven't done so already you can connect one PC direct to the modem. See http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
R1chard99
Dabbler

Thank you for keeping me updated Matthew  Smiley Cheers Spoon Whittler.  Cool I will try that later - really hoping it works.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: R1chard99
Cheers Spoon Whittler.  Cool I will try that later - really hoping it works.
Do be aware that you will be connecting your computer directly to the internet. There's going to be nothing between you and the big, bad, world except your computer's firewall. Even if your normal router doesn't advertise any firewall capabilities at least when you go via it you benefit from the protection inherent in NAT.
https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm
That doesn't mean it's a really dangerous thing to do but personally I'd only do it for as long as I had to then I'd disconnect.
R1chard99
Dabbler

Thank you for the warning Andrue. Duly noted! I just followed the advice about connecting directly. Yippeee!! It works!  Grin  Cheesy Such a relief to know that all I need now is a working router.
R1chard99
Dabbler

Great news! The replacement router has arrived and I am now connected at home! 10 days late, but these things happen.
Thank you Matthew Wheeler for chasing things up and good communications about what was happening - after wondering whether I had done the right thing switching to PlusNet, I now know I did the right thing. I dread to think how TT would have done!
Thanks again Matthew!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fantastic!
Glad to hear you're finally up and running.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team