cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low SNR on FTTC causing very low speeds and connection drops.

Wilsonline
Grafter

Re: Low SNR on FTTC causing very low speeds and connection drops.

Speed has been fluctuating in block of a few days between 9 and 15Mbps. Currently sitting at 11. Not ideal as it's below half the maximum speed the line is capable of and the rugby season starts on Friday so having my BT Sport HD channels working would be neat.
Wilsonline
Grafter

As of around 17:30 on Sunday 4th the speed increased back to around 21Mbps.
Wilsonline
Grafter

I thought it was too good to last. Only 3 days at good speed and as of the 6th back down to 13.7Mbps. Sad

Reboot my Draytek 2860 router, it syncs at 20Mbps and 6db snr. JDAST runs and gets 11.1Mbps. Boo.
Wilsonline
Grafter

And now since the early hours of this morning I have no download speed and 2.25Mbps upload. SNR is 6db both ways. A new WAN IP since the speed loss.
Rebooted router, disconnected filter and line and no change.
Router says synced at 25Mbps,vut nothing flowing in.
sarczoid
Rising Star

I see a multitude of issues here:

1. BT rolling out VDSL / FTTC on the cheap using cheap [-Censored-] from Huawei and ECI

2. Once done or doing so, they fail to tell anyone about VDSL Crosstalk problems, where its 75-85mb/s when you are the first person in your area to get VDSL/FTTC, but the moment your neighbour/s get it too, your connection starts to fall off a cliff, I started on 79mb/s and am now on 64mb/s and still dropping

3. BT then fail to rollout Vectoring which cures 95% of the crosstalk issues

BT and Openreach need to be split up, this is an intolerable situation.

BT make billions and the infrastructure is still rubbish, done on the cheap and nothing is ever done to fix it properly

Wilsonline
Grafter

Error report submitted this morning and it's recently got back up to 20Mbps+.

Hopefully it will stay that way for a while now. Failing that I'll be looking at Virgin Media as an option as I need BT Sport alongside the broadband, but no phone line or any other TV stuff.
We have an existing cable connection on the house from previous owners so that's helpful.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Speed all over the place yesterday due to the network issues. Back to a steady 21Mbps since midnight though, so all good.

Also of note was that even during yesterday's mess the BT Sport HD channels still came through fine.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Here we go again. Sad

Checking the JDAST on my server due to slow upload speeds on dropbox and I find that since mid afternoon on the 17th I've been getting 10Mbps down and 300Kbs upload.  No wonder Netflix is pixelated tonight.

Router reboot and filter swap makes no difference and I appear to have no phone dial tone either.  Pretty sure this is an Openreach infrastructure issue that they don't seem capable of fixing properly long term.  Oh to have a fibre cab at the end of my road like my previous house.

Wilsonline
Grafter

I think I have submitted a fault report, but the Plusney website seems to be having as many issues as my line at present.

Wilsonline
Grafter

And today I have 1Mbps when good. Bang goes my Plusnet TV and live BT Sport.
If Virgin Media weren't so expensive I'd have changed supplier now. Blooming awful Openreach infrastructure.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Hello Richard,

Your fault has now been raised with Openreach (who we work with on phone issues) for further investigation.

The problems you're experiencing are usually resolved within 1-3 working days. If this isn't the case, we'll contact you to let you know.

[INTERNAL]
The Openreach task can be tracked with the reference: TR0000006620913.

Here's a summary of the details collected from the Phone Troubleshooter:

Phone line tested
-----------------
Landline number: 01xxxxxxxxx

Primary contact details
-----------------------
Full name: Mr Richard xxxxxx
Contact number: 0xxxxxxxxx

Details about the problem
-------------------------
Problem experienced: No dial tone
Additional information: No dial tone and broadband painfully slow when working. Between 1 and 6Mbps on fibre, normally 19Mbps.

Fault details
--------------
Fault location: CE
Diagnosis code: T007
Description: FAULT - Dis one leg in Network

External fault reason
---------------------
Reason: FAIL

So now all I need to do is find a way to watch the rugby tomorrow. Anyone at plusnet fancy flying 3 people to Toulouse plus match tickets?
It'd be easier if there was a plusnet app I could watch on via my mobile data.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Hooray it appears my fault is rubbish enough for my broadband to be working at about 4Mbps again. Fast enough for a standard definition BT Sport channel to work, if I disconnect all other network devices so they don't nick bandwidth.

Also if I call home the phone rings but I can't ever answer it. Not had that before. Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just checked the status of the fault and it's showing that we should get a response from Openreach by the end of the day tomorrow, hopefully once this is resolved you have no further issues with your fibre.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Any updates from your end?
I'm still occasionally getting a connection, but still under 5Mbps.
Wilsonline
Grafter

Update, line repaired around a week ago to 4Mbps download speeds. And then back up to 23Mbps as of Sunday morning! Smiley