cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of dial tone, and then slow broadband

Loss of dial tone, and then slow broadband

Over the weekend, we lost the dial tone on our line, along with our broadband service. Although the dial tone returned the following morning, it is very noisy, and our broadband is running at less than 9mb down, and around 3mb up. Restarting the router doesn't help, and shows the slow connection speed.

I guess this is due to the noisy line, but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem that they have been able to fix themselves via the router?

All ideas will be welcomed.

2 REPLIES 2
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Loss of dial tone, and then slow broadband

Likely a line fault that you'll need openreach out for.

Start with the usual checks; take the faceplate off your master socket and plug just your phone (no filters) into the test socket. Then run the quiet line test, dial 17070 option 2. If it's still noisy, swap phones if you can, or try it a neighbours to make sure its not your handset and if still noisy report it to plusnet.

If the noise disappears, rebuild the set up piece by piece until the noise returns to find the problem.

Ignore the speed issue for now, that will be caused by the noise.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Loss of dial tone, and then slow broadband

Hi @00012321000

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can see that you've spoken to one of my colleagues who has confirmed that a fault is present on your line and raised this for you here.

Best wishes

Dave