cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Broadband and slow speeds

char447

Loss of Broadband and slow speeds

Router Technicolor TG582n FTTC

I have been suffering from varying internet speeds (8Mps - 50Mps) & repeated loss of internet. I have used multiple speedcheckers and the lowest speeds are 2Mps

I have been monitoring this using Wireshark. Last night there were about 20 losses of internet. There have been un-noticed problems usually indicated by email errors (can't contact server). It's only since Wireshark can I see these problems. When streaming, when I get errors, I quickly do a speed check and see it's low

I have rebooted the router twice this morning and noticed it resets the date to 1 Jan, 00:00

After a hard reboot (pull the mains leads) I suspect I will get good service for a couple of days.

Also, I am getting new IP ranges especially after a hard reboot. These vary between two ranges 146.xxx.xxx.xxx and 80.xxx.xxx.xxx

I reported all this to no avail so will drop Plusnet, but, before I do, I need to confirm the cause because, if it's the line the problems will just reappear with the new isp

2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Loss of Broadband and slow speeds

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Loss of Broadband and slow speeds

Thanks for your post @char447

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

The IP changes you're getting would be irrelevant and a symptom of the drops, not a cause or anything to worry about. As you have a dynamic IP, each time your connection drops, you have the possibility of picking up a new IP.

We can definitely see the drops but line tests aren't showing the cause for this. 

I can see we've booked an engineer visit to investigate further however if you're still using the Openreach modem and Technicolor router from long ago then I suspect this may have developed a fault due to its age. 

We can't RMA it as it's no longer under warranty but I'd recommend calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you in order to send a new one out free of charge.

^ That's just a thought though, feel free to see what the engineer finds out first. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet