Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Running Speed Issue

DaveyG
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Long Running Speed Issue

Hi,

Could anyone please offer me advice.  I have a long running broadband speed problem and following a further intervention by BT Open Reach today I am more confused and frustrated that I have since the situation arose back in October last year.

Firstly, I am on FTTC with the cabinet around 1850m from the property and that distance covered by around 1km underground and the remainder on overhead, with copper conductors.  I am currently operating wireless with a Plusnet Hub One, although I have tried a BT Smart Home Hub 6 with no improvement in service.

My contracted speeds are 15-22Mb/s with guaranteed minimum of 13.2Mb/s.  From the start of the contract (Nov 2019) those speeds have never been achieved although I did see a reliable and consistent 11-13Mb/s. Back in October this dropped to around 7, then 5 then 2.  There have, so far been 5 Open Reach interventions each one seeing a different fault discovered.  After the 4th intervention I had download speeds of between 11-12Mb/s.  However, on the line test carried out by Plusnet after this 4th repair a voice fault was discovered and following that the technician investigating advised me that the fault lay underground and would require traffic management and the dig team, my landline went AWOL and my download speed halved.

Following the repair today I was (once again) told that the line was testing clear and that the technician would reset my broadband and I would see my line speeds improve significantly.  My confusion arises from me doing a BT Wholesale Speed Test (wireless) about 4hrs after completion of the repair and seeing line speeds of 5.2Mb/s, which is just what I was getting before the repair and, the puzzling bit for me, the downloaded Additional Diagnostics shows that the IP Profile for the line is 18.32Mb/s whereas in most of the previous (52) speed tests over this experience the IP Profile and actual download speeds were all fairly well matched.

I am at a loss to understand this and what to do next.  I will run a further test wired, but in my experience over the last two and a half months there has been almost no difference between the two methodologies.  Any help, guidance, advice or comments will be much appreciated.

dave

47 REPLIES 47
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Long Running Speed Issue

Hi @DaveyG 

First of all what is the synch speed of the router?

If you are using a Plusnet Hub one router, I believe the stats can be found at: http://192.168.1.254, then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

Then what is the current line speed reported here: https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband

Regards

Richard

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi RichardB and thank you for responding.  

The sync speeds for the router are, from the Hub Manager:

Up         459kbps

Down      14.2Mbps

although the data transfer rates seen at the link that you advised in the Hub Manager are 495/19232. with Max Rates of 496/19427.

Carrying out a wireless speed test on BT Wholesale this morning saw Download of 4.89Mb/s and Upload 0.26Mb/s.  I was led to believe that, should I want to conduct a wired speed test , essentially all that was necessary was to plug an ethernet cable into the router and into the pc tower and that action would disable the wireless connection.  Not the case it seems.  I moved my PC to position it next to the master socket and connected a cable; carried out a speed test and got results that were much the same as the earlier wireless test.  Cruising around the Hub Manager I noticed that the PC that I was using for the test was still connected by wireless?  I suspected that may be because I use a USB wireless adaptor (after the board mounted card failed some years ago) which was beyond the influence of the ethernet port on the PC, so removed that and was then not connected at all 🤔 

I had determined to call Customer Support because I am at the very edge of my skill set here 😊 but as a sort of last throw of the dice before I put my hearing aids in and settled into a comfy chair, I turned off the PC and reset the router - again - now I have over 12Mb/s.  What puzzles me now is that, when I did the speed test at around 9.00am this morning, when I had a download speed of 4.49Mb/s, the IP Profile of the line was 13.6Mb/s.  The latest test about 5 minutes ago, download 12.33Mb/s, the IP Profile was 17.74Mb/s.  What is it that causes these variations?  Traffic, weather or physical changes within the conductors?

Anyway RichardB, thank you again for your help

DaveyG
Grafter

I neglected to mention above that the first set of transmission rate figures that I showed were found in the Hub Manager - Advanced Settings - Broadband - Connections.  Just in case that might help someone. 

dave

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

@DaveyG
It would indicate that you have a buisness account or a static IP?
In addition, to the IP profile, buisness accounts and static IP's also have a Plusnet profile.
The Plusnet profile should automatically follow the IP profile but it can get stuck or delayed.
A drop and reconnect of the PPP session is often enough to bump the Plusnet profile.
If you had posted the current broadband speed from the meber centre, as I asked, it would have helped identify the issue.
Regards
Richard

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi RichardB,

What is it that indicates that I have business account or Static IP Address? 

I don't have a business account but what is a static IP Address and how would I know if I have one?.  I certainly haven't configured anything in that way and wouldn't know how anyway. 

What is a PPP Session? 

I would have posted the broadband speed from the Member Centre if I could have discovered how to access it 🙄

Regards

dave

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi@DaveyG 

Apologies for using terminology you are not familiar with.

It is not always easy to gauge another customers familiarity with broadband related terminology.

I cannot remember where the static IP status is shown the revised member centre pages.

I no longer have a static IP so I cannot check my account to see where it is reported.

Normally you have to request a static IP bolt on with a one off £5 fee.

https://www.plus.net/AddOns.html

I guess if the option for a static IP is missing you might already have one?

I have seen a few occasions, on these fora, where a static IP has been applied without the customer requesting it.

Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP ) is the umbrella term for the login process to connect to a Internet Service Provider.

I.E. how we login into Plusnet.

It is possible to disconnect from Plusnet and reconnect without rebooting the router.

This avoids breaking/dropping the DSL connection between the router and the Fibre Cabinet, that would result from turning the router off and then on again.

Maintaining the routers DSL connection is desirable, where possible, to prevent the BT Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system from detecting the line is unstable and the reducing the connection speed in an attempt to improve stability.

Multiple DSL connection drops in one day will trigger a reduction in speeds.

I did provide the link to find the Plusnet current line speed, in my first post:

Then what is the current line speed reported here: https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband

Regards

Richard

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi Richard,

I found the internet connection detail and I have posted a screen shot of the page.  That must have been a 'wood for the trees' moment, sorry.  However, that information does not chine with the speeds that are in the contract or the details demonstrated in the BT Wholesale speed tests.  Again, I am in an area that I do not fully understand.

I also found, in the same place, details on how to activate a Static IP and there it says that a Static IP is not available to me, so presumably I do not have a static IP address.  How would I identify whether in fact I do?

Regards

dave

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi @DaveyG 

The Plusnet Profile (currently set to 13.1 Mbps) does appear to be limiting your speeds (around 12 Mbps in the attachment in message 3)

So I *guess* you must have a static IP. I *think* you will have to contact Plusnet support to confirm this: 0800 432 0200

I do not have Plunset hub one router so I cannot post a screenshot but...

To see if the Plusnet profile can be bumped up to match the IP profile, I suggest you access the Hub One router menu and disconnect then re-connect.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8CDfkR4wZU  At aprrox 2 minutes 30.

I assume when connected the "connected" button changes to "disconnect" when the router is already connected.

Regards

Richard

DaveyG
Grafter

Thanks again Richard.  I have just logged on so haven't yet watched the YouTube video that you recommend.  I will straight after this.  First a couple of questions if I may.

With regard to determining whether I have a Static or Dynamic IP address would it work if I opened up the PC, checked the IP address, closed the PC down (or maybe just Restart the router?), started up and checked the IP address again?  If the IP address remained constant over a series of those actions that would confirm a static address but if different every time then dynamic.

How is the Plusnet Profile derived? As I said earlier I have never requested a Static IP address so is it possible that the ISP has 'imposed' a static address in order that they can manage line speeds?  In other words - throttling the speed!  Also, is it just a coincidence that the 13.1Mb/s in the profile is just below the minimum guaranteed speed of 13.2Mb/s that I am currently contracted to receive?

It certainly appears to my uneducated eye that the line, contrary to what the Plusnet advisors have constantly told me, is capable of around 20Mb/s and the BT Technician that I spoke to on Friday told me that in his opinion I should be able to get more.  

Out of interest I have just checked to see what current Plusnet deals were available to me and the offer was speeds of 3.5 to 8Mb/s  😨 for the same service that I have now, unlimited fibre and all calls.  That is not acceptable.

Regards

Dave

DaveyG
Grafter

I just walked away to wash the breakfast dishes and realised the naivety of my suggestion that I should just turn the PC off and on and the sense of disconnecting and reconnecting the router in the Hub Manager.  Would simply restarting the router by pressing the restart button on the hub have the same effect?

dave

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi Richard,

So I tried that, into the Hub Manager selected Disconnect and then Connect.

🤔

I am now going to reset the router and take the dogs out 🙄

Regards

Dave

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Ah Ah

The downstream IP profile has now dropped from 17 mbps (shown in attachment to message 3) to 13.1 mbps.

So there is no discrepancy between the BT IP profile and Plusnet profile (both are 13.1 mbps).

My suggestion of a static IP is likely to be a red herring, it was a deduction based on the profile differences.

Please do not reset the router.

Moving forward what are the current router connection speeds?

http://192.168.1.254, then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@RichardB In addition, to the IP profile, buisness accounts and static IP's also have a Plusnet profile.

In actual fact all accounts have a PlsuNet profile, its just that it has no effect on most accounts. You are correct that it does affect accounts with static IPs. I believe it also affects any account which has the PlusNet Firewall enabled. Although I suspect that not many accounts use the firewall and its default is off.

The reason that accounts with static IPs or firewall enabled are affected by the PlusNet profile whilst others aren't is due to the different way in which traffic for those accounts is routed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi@MisterW 

Re>>I believe it also affects any account which has the PlusNet Firewall enabled. Although I suspect that not many accounts use the firewall and its default is off.

An interesting suggestion, do you have an idea why?

Re>>The reason that accounts with static IPs or firewall enabled are affected by the PlusNet profile whilst others aren't is due to the different way in which traffic for those accounts is routed.

Agreed.