Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency on Fibre + dropped UL speed.

ianc1990
Grafter

Latency on Fibre + dropped UL speed.

Hi guys,
I was upgraded to fibre earlier this morning.  Very happy with the speeds initially, 37.8Mb down and 18.8Mb up - basically the maximum for my selected package.  A big thanks to everyone at plusnet for making the upgrade experience so easy!
Anyhow, since then (with no disconnections of the vDSL modem/my router), my upload speed has dropped to just under 10Mbps.  Upload was the primary reason for going with fibre as I sometimes need to access my machine and data on it remotely, plus I upload a lot of photos to flickr and it always (used to) take an age Smiley
Firstly, should the speed have dropped off so quickly? - and will it increase back up to the 19Mb mark?  I understand if I disconnected that DLM would have perhaps dropped the speed but I cannot see any particular reason for dropping to half the speed over the course of a few hours.  Of course, all tests are performed through a wired machine.
Secondly, since upgrading to fibre, my latency has increased above that of my old ADSL connection.  It used to return 16ms from the thinkbroadband quality monitor, and now its at 26ms.  Is this something that should improve over time, or is it perhaps because I was previously on the gaming profile, and it simply needs to be turned back on?  Low latency is good for gaming, but also as I work over citrix and sometimes, I need thinks to refresh quickly Smiley
Thanks
Ian
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Latency on Fibre + dropped UL speed.

Great that everything went so well for you this morning with the install.
What are the upload speeds looking like now? Can you provide the output of a BT Speedtest (run the further diagnostics after the first test) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
I wouldn't worry too much about a ping of 26ms! That's still around half what I get Wink Unfortunately making changes to line profiles and settings isn't straightforward on FTTC and is only performed after an engineer visit following a fault report.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ianc1990
Grafter

Re: Latency on Fibre + dropped UL speed.

Hi Chris,
13mbps UP now which is a little better but still not quite there.
I tried running the test when I posted but was getting an error about not being logged on as a specific user (on the further diagnostics part) - if I remember correctly, it may be because I ran it earlier today and needed a time period to 'rest' before I re-run it.
Anyway - here are the results:
Download Speed achieved during this test was 38.31Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 73.86mbps
Upload Speed achieved during this test was - 13.01Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20Mbps
I tried to carry on with the further tests (it said the test was not conclusive) but my router wouldn't connect with the username provided (speedtest@speedtest_domain) - I guess this is because plusnet is an LLU provider.
Thanks