cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fibre Connection

WorleyPlus

Intermittent Fibre Connection

For the last week or so my internet connection has been down for hours at a time and the timing appears to be random.
I contacted support and the suggestion is an update to the fibre modem software. But it has been working fine and only recently there has been a problem.
I am at home yesterday and today and each time I ring support the connection re-appears. This morning it was offline again, and when I had an opportunity to call its come back - hence being to post this topic!
I'm concerned that intermittent faults are one of the worst to resolve and given the looming Christmas period I don't want my kids to miss out with their tablets and consoles, especially as engineers and staff will be taking holidays too.
Any experiences you can share so that I can ask support to consider a gamut of potential causes rather than one small step at a time?
4 REPLIES 4
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Intermittent Fibre Connection

My knowledge of weird copper faults is scant, but this kind of thing rings a bell.
IIRC, it relates to a very small disconnection in a joint somewhere, probably by some oxidisation. Whenever calls happen, the increase in voltage on the line breaks through the disconnection enough that it works again, for a while.
However, I might be thinking of cases where an incoming call is the thing that brings stuff back to life, as the AC signal used to cause the bell to ring is the trigger.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've asked our resident faults gurutm to take a look at this one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there
Our testing is showing a potential issue with the line that may need a engineer visit.
I've raised it to our suppliers for further investigation but if you could PM me three times for a engineer I can get it booked if needed.
The timeslots are 8am while 1pm and 1pm while 6pm.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
WorleyPlus

Thanks for the responses