Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HubOne AlwaysOn VPN

FIXED
rjenkins123
Fixes: 1

HubOne AlwaysOn VPN

Hello,

Wondering if anyone is able to help. My work has switched from a Citrix based VPN to using Microsoft's "Always On" VPN technology (I understand from IT this uses ikev2 protocol).

Since this change, I cannot connect to the work VPN. Luckily I can still use the old system but they are phasing this out so I need to get to a solution.

This all works no problem if I tether my phone to my PC, hence the problem is definitely either at my Router or with PlusNet more widely.

I have spent an hour with our IT server guys, and they believe they have exhausted everything they can do:

1. Reinstalled all the software, no joy
  2. Changed software settings on the VPN, no joy
  3. Restarted the router a couple of times to generate 3x new IP addresses, no joy
  4. Temporarily disabled the firewall on the router, no joy

They have said that they cannot think of anything else their end to try - so have suggested I reach out to PlusNet. I notice there have been a few previous threads along these lines, but as far as I can tell most of them don't seem to ever be fully resolved - is a Static IP worth trying?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Richard

7 REPLIES 7
rjenkins123

Re: HubOne AlwaysOn VPN

Just some further information:

My IT support have checked their firewall logs, and cannot find any requests coming from (any of) my IP requests. Hence they are confident that the problem lies somewhere between my PC and their servers. They also do not use a blocking list of IPs

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

is a Static IP worth trying?

Very likely. The routing is different for static IP's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Richard, sorry for the issues you're having with your work's VPN and welcome firstly to our community forums.

I've added a static IP onto your account now, could you reboot your router and try again? Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rjenkins123

Hi Both,

Thanks for your help and for adding the static IP.

Unfortunately - this seems not to have fixed it. I have however, by accident, discovered that the problem GOES AWAY when I use the wireless connection. My normal connection is over ethernet through a powerline adapter. I have also tested plugging my machine into the router directly (ethernet port 1) however this does not work also.

This suggests to me some form of port issue with the router?

Thanks!

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Richard,

Ah that's disappointing, I think we can rule out a network issue our side in that case.

I've removed the static IP now so once your connection drops next you'll go back onto an IP of a dynamic range.

I have however, by accident, discovered that the problem GOES AWAY when I use the wireless connection. My normal connection is over ethernet through a powerline adapter. I have also tested plugging my machine into the router directly (ethernet port 1) however this does not work also.

This suggests to me some form of port issue with the router?

Definitely looks like you've got to the bottom of the issue here if your VPN works wirelessly.

Are you using the router we've sent? Happy to arrange a replacement.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rjenkins123

Fix

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.

Just to put what we think is the solution here incase any others find it.

The problem seems to have been related to ipV6 support (or rather, lack of support of ipV6 at PlusNet). The fix my IT department came up with was:

• Settings -> Network & Internet -> Change Adapter Options 
  • Right click on Ethernet Adapter (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM), select Properties (admin account required)
  • On "Networking" tab, untick the checkbox next to "Internet Protocol Version 6"

This, touch wood, seems to have fixed it

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah I see, thanks for the heads up Richard! 

No problem, let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet